Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

latest virulent bug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I know a couple of kids that had his a few years ago. It spread throughout a creche. I remember at the time a lot of the parents considered it to be a dirty disease of africans who shared the creche with their child. Terrible

As Ireland has become multicultural it is only natural that somethings like this would crop up. My friend lives in France and some doctors refuse to treat her because she has spinabifida which is very rare to have over there as it is more common here and in the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It has mutated and become more virulent in our climes , it used to be a summertime bug in America but can now occur in winter in Ireland which indicates a resistance to colder air temperatures .

Its worth knowing about as a parent becuase a bad dose , as you can see from the link in the original post, could appear like meningitis and could require the same sort of treatment in hospital in bad cases .

I also know a GP now retired who said he never came across a case despite having 'heard' of it until his grandson got it . It normally does nothing to an adult by the way , unlike SRSV which is another recently virulent mutation . I first came across that in late 1999 before there was any publicity about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Love2love wrote:
    I know a couple of kids that had his a few years ago. It spread throughout a creche. I remember at the time a lot of the parents considered it to be a dirty disease of africans who shared the creche with their child. Terrible

As Ireland has become multicultural it is only natural that somethings like this would crop up. My friend lives in France and some doctors refuse to treat her because she has spinabifida which is very rare to have over there as it is more common here and in the UK

Speaking of creches and outbreaks:

http://www.examiner.ie/story/?jp=CWIDGBOJQL&cat=Ireland&rss=rss2

Feel sorry for the creche owners, maybe there should be a better screening process and vaccination program for these diseases in the first place?

I have read elsewhere that Cork is the only county which does not vaccinate newborns and the waiting list is 3 months for a vaccination!?

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=28971-qqqx=1.asp

Is this the old adage of 'lets wait untill there is a problem before doing something about it'?

Advertisement