Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg - Costs 20M a year to run?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Now, I must admit I cannot read balance sheets but on page 51 of this document on the accounts for year ending June 2005, it seems from reading it that ComReg blow 20M a year on “stuff”. Such as:

* Staff Costs 8.719Million (They have 112 staff)
    * Technical Advice (Consultants) 4.115Million
    * Legal Expenses 4.451Million
    * Advertising 23,000
    * Administrative Expenses 2.277Million
    * Auditors’ Remuneration 12,000
    * Premises and Related Expenses 1.249Million
    * Depreciation 244,000
    * Subscriptions to International Organisations 630,000

Unfortunately we cannot see 2006 because they are allowed bury it until the year after they give it to the Minister. Handy that. Can someone have a lookover and see are my figures right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

EUR54794 a day, EUR2283 an hour, EUR38 a minute, 63 cents a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0329/broadband.html

Ireland's poor performance in delivering broadband internet access has been slammed by a new European Commission report.
    Broadband availability in Ireland is at just 10%, significantly lower than the EU average, while the cost of access is the highest.
    The commission blames weak regulation of the telecoms sector here.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

damien.m wrote:

Slightly simplistic don't you think.. At least break it down per employee..

Slightly simplistic don't you think.. At least break it down per employee..

Ever the apologist. 72k per employee. 130k per commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

To sum it up, the EU thinks Comreg are as useless as a chocolate teapot.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

govinda wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0329/broadband.html

Ireland's poor performance in delivering broadband internet access has been slammed by a new European Commission report.
    Broadband availability in Ireland is at just 10%, significantly lower than the EU average, while the cost of access is the highest.
    The commission blames weak regulation of the telecoms sector here.

:rolleyes:

Just saw the RTÉ article on the 9 o'clock news. Refreshingly unambiguous and blunt. Were they in a hurry, or did they already know that asking either ComReg or Dempsey for a comment was a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

damien.m wrote:
    Ever the apologist. 72k per employee. 130k per commissioner.

72k per person ain't that bad ;)

AndrewMc wrote:
    Just saw the RTÉ article on the 9 o'clock news. Refreshingly unambiguous and blunt. Were they in a hurry, or did they already know that asking either ComReg or Dempsey for a comment was a waste of time?

True story. ComReg released a press release recently. A journo asked them about it and was told by them it wasn't really newsworthy and didn't want to give away anymore than tell them to read the release.

See that they only spent 23k on advertising? You'd think they didn't want to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

72k per person ain't that bad ;)
    thats well in excess of DOUBLE the average wage of €34K a year!! and for what???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

damien.m wrote:
    did you average it for a leap year ?
    Altreab wrote:
    thats well in excess of DOUBLE the average wage of €34K a year!! and for what???
    that includes the public sector the average INDUSTRIAL wage is around €30k unless its changed with the new census

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Anytime I have had reason to call comreg they have been "nice but useless".

Absolutely everything was "outside their remit" or I was referred back to the telco that was creating the problem. They always sounded very sympathetic. I mean, I would describe their customer helpline as more of a counselling service!

In other news they turned down my job application. I'm gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ComReg attracts highly qualified and committed professionals who operate in a fast-moving team- based environment with a culture of delivery

Delivery of what exactly? Pizza to their offices?!:confused::confused::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BMW jeeps to their car parks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

i'm sure eircom think the are worth every penny.
    they've allowed them to maintain their monopoly for another year ... and given them a new 3g license to boot! cheap at twice the price I'm sure they would agree.

and it's important to keep eircom happy because coming into an election, as we are, our elected representatives require as much money as possible to fund their campaigns. got to keep those politcal donators happy!

that includes the public sector the average INDUSTRIAL wage is around €30k unless its changed with the new census

Which makes it very close to 2.5 times the average industrial wage .....and do they get the full public sector Pension on top of that as well? (THAT is the incredible bonus that most dont see when comparing wages in public and private sectors)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

C'mon lads, stop acting the bollix. Those guys went to college and stuff, they deserve every penny!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solair wrote:
    ComReg attracts highly qualified and committed professionals who operate in a fast-moving team
    fast-moving ?

dahamsta wrote:
    C'mon lads, stop acting the bollix. Those guys went to college and stuff, they deserve every penny!

They only deserve it if they are performing their duties and they are like F@*K :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

fast-moving ?

Bucks - as in "pass the buck" - get passed along very quickly.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I know where I want to work now when I grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

are the IT Department recruiting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

oceanclub wrote:
    To sum it up, the EU thinks Comreg are as useless as a chocolate teapot.

P.

at least you could probably enjoy a chocolate teapot, but COMREG are nothing more than a bunch of overpaid PSs who are about as useful as a lamp in a bog.

These guys couldn't save a cent never mind make one.

Yet to see a useful regulator of any discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

damien.m wrote:
    Now, I must admit I cannot read balance sheets but on page 51 of this document on the accounts for year ending June 2005, it seems from reading it that ComReg blow 20M a year on “stuff”. Such as:

* Staff Costs 8.719Million (They have 112 staff)
    * Technical Advice (Consultants) 4.115Million
    * Legal Expenses 4.451Million
    * Advertising 23,000
    * Administrative Expenses 2.277Million
    * Auditors’ Remuneration 12,000
    * Premises and Related Expenses 1.249Million
    * Depreciation 244,000
    * Subscriptions to International Organisations 630,000
    * Hot Air - priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

And 20 million could buy a chocolate teapot for everyone in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

mmmm....chocolate.....

Advertisement