Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto Light

Options
  • 29-03-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I only just learned to drive and my first car is a '01 punto

There is a red light of a steering wheel popped up under the speedometer tonight when I started it up.
    The steering is gone crazy hard to control, i.e stiff as hell.

Am I in trouble??

Not sure if anyone knows but thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Is it manual or power steering? There should be something in your car manual telling what each light on the dashboard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks Brandon, I didnt get a manual with it, I bought it from someone, so I have no idea what the light is sorry? :(
    Sorry it's manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

It sounds like your steering column mate :( Best off taking it to fiat dealership or a local garage to find out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

hi sounds like your power steering unit is in trouble. its a common fault with them people drive with the city button on all the time. To get you out of trouble it sometimes resets itself if you turnoff the car and start it again. if you need a new unit there around €600-€650 plus vat for just the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

turning the steering wheel whilst starting the car can cause problems like that.

• Advertisement

It was grand today when I drove to work. It seems like its blowing hot and cold to be honest. I drove home from work no problems but when I went back out to drive somewhere earlier it stayed on again when I started the engine. Then when I turned it off, went into someones house and came out it was gone again no problems like?

Jaysus, I didn't think it would be that expensive to be honest. I never use the city button.
    I bet when i go out again later it will go stiff again. Hmmm... strange.

Basically so i'm in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

thats a sign its on the way out. its so expensive because its a complete shaft. they can be repaired but i dont think anyone in ireland does them

Sorry guys, I just read back over this post and realised I gave brandon wrong info above. I thought he asked is it manual or automatic. Actually its power steering, dont know if that changes anything, but. . .

Sorry to resurrect the thread but just to let ye know I have not had the problem in a few days now so maybe it just went away.

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

unlikely - common failure on the Punto. Offload the car while its not playing up:D

• Advertisement

I will wait and see how it goes.
    Will it seriously be that expensive for the part?

What if I was to get it from a scrap yard from a write off or is this not possible?? . . . just to confirm, its called a power steering column, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Check the power steering fluid level.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,228 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

get this happening the odd time over the last year, hasn't got worse thankfully, been a few weeks/months since it happened. have read other stories about it being a common problem thats expensive to fix as the others have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It kinda sounds like it's an intermittant electrical problem. If it's happening only the odd time, why would the steering column need to be replaced? (Not disputing anything here, just curious).
    @ OP - don't know if one from a scrappie will help as more often than not it'll be a frontal impact which will have quite likely damaged the steering column anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Darragh29 wrote:
    Check the power steering fluid level.

This is the place to start. If not it could be an intermittent fault with the power steering pump which, afaik, is an electric pump.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    It happened again this morning for the first time in nearly 4 or 5 days. I turned off the engine and turned it on again and it was all ok again.

I bought power steering fluid a few days ago but dont know where it goes?
    There are a total of 3 caps under the bonnet nut 2 of them are definitely water for the radiator and windscreen and i'm nearly sure the other one is brake fluid. The one I think is brake fluid is a honey coloured thick liquid and is full to the top, strange thing is, is that its up at the top on the left hand side almost under the wheel.
    Is this the brake fluid or power steering fluid?

Probably a stupid question but do all cars with power steering require power steering fluid?

The power steering cap should have the same symbol as the light on the dash.

Hhmmmm, I must have a look for that later tonight, thanks crosstownk.
    You sure my car has a power steering tank. I even brought down a friend of mine on saturday who is usually good with cars and he couldn't find it either?

No I'm not sure............but it sounds like it could. The fault you describe is consistent with a power steering fault. Plus, I don't see any other reason for the 'steering' light on the dash if it simply had mechanical steering only.

True, i'll have a look at it again tonight and see if I can find it. Thanks again Crosstownk.
    I'll update later tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Power steering fluid is usually a red colour from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

How many professional trade posters have advised the OP to put fluid into an electric system? :D (Sorry lads, couldnt resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The steering colum contains the motor and the control unit. Both of these can give trouble. These also give wiring problems and the BCU (body control unit) can also cause the light. It will need to be plugged in to be diagnosed.

HTH

P.S. You can return the power steering fluid

How many professional trade posters have advised the OP to put fluid into an electric system? :D (Sorry lads, couldnt resist)

I'll own up! TBH, I have limited experience with electric power steering systems. I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the pump was electric rather than belt driven. If there is no fluid in the system then explain briefly the principle, if you don't mind.

EDIT : My Opel Zafira - with electro hydraulic power assisted steering requires power steering fluid - at least so the manual says - but gives no instructions on how to top it up - nor any fluid specs!

Thanks guys,

I looked again this morning for about 10 mins but after reading back here it seems i'm looking for something that is not there. Thanks eitherway crosstownk.

Where do I go next so? Over to the fiat dealer yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

Hi irishproduce,
    I was wondering did you ever find out what happened with this problem? I've been having the same with my Punto recently (2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a torque sensor on those that gives trouble, it's probably that. you have to take the power streering unit apart to get to it though.

crosstownk wrote:
    I'll own up! TBH, I have limited experience with electric power steering systems. I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the pump was electric rather than belt driven. If there is no fluid in the system then explain briefly the principle, if you don't mind.
    The unit is in the dash in the Punto, you can hear the motor whirring when you turn the steering. It just looks like a motor connected to the steering shaft.
    steering2.jpg

There is a little space to the right and below of the steering wheel, I opened that, gave the little motor/ pump a couple of tips with the back of a screwdriver (gentle tips) and restarted the engine and I haven't had the problem since.
    I know it will come back but for now I will leave it as it is

Advertisement