Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up 3 mobile as a bluetooth modem on mac os x

• 29-03-2007 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    need help setting up 3 mobile as a bluetooth modem on mac os x,tried my normal way as with nokias but aint working...any ideas,just get no carrier connected error.
    is the *99# the dial up number?
    im using a k610i on 3pay.

cheers
    damo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

damo86 wrote:
    hi guys,
    need help setting up 3 mobile as a bluetooth modem on mac os x,tried my normal way as with nokias but aint working...any ideas,just get no carrier connected error.
    is the *99# the dial up number?
    im using a k610i on 3pay.

cheers
    damo

Once you get it working, it's a rock-solid stable connection. You need to put 3ireland.ie as the "dial-up number" in the settings. SHould work straight away.

If that still fails then you need a specific script as well: go here http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ and get the latest scripts for Sony Ericsson. I find that no. five works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I used *99*1#
    That selects the default profile on the phone.

That's pretty much all I did.

When the mobile's in range. I get a "Connect to Network on W850i" in the bluetooth menu on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Once you click that the phone will go "[computer name] want's to use this videophone as a modem" (or something to that effect) and you're asked to allow or deny.

Once you allow, give it about 10 seconds and you should be able to go online.

Bare in mind only HTTP traffic seems to pass through so, basically you can only browse the web :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers,culabula and solair,got it working,connect fine etc but doesn't load any pages..havent got age verified yet so that must be it(dont have time to head into town..grrrr!)

tanks again
    damo

Hope that's all it is: I'm using mine on the train to Belfast right now with MacBook and surfing gaily.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

damo86 wrote:
    cheers,culabula and solair,got it working,connect fine etc but doesn't load any pages..havent got age verified yet so that must be it(dont have time to head into town..grrrr!)

tanks again
    damo

I doubt it's age verification. I have a K610i as well and it connects fine and I can ping anything, but I can't browse anything.

Aha! Listen -you MUST untick send PPP echo packets under PPP options in 'network' if you want to surf....it will just hang otherwise. Also set 'configure IPV6' to 'automatically'.

that did the trick,had few strange porblems when i did that but got around it.anyways got that age verification shi*te as usual when i tried to go to boards.ie..ah well!!
    not lightning fast as you would expect from 3g..must be because of their stupid widerweb.ie server,why cant unleash us to full isp web like o2 and vodafone..its a start anyway,kick o2/vodafone ass to get a move on!!

thanks again
    damo

It isn't going to be lightning fast from an ordinary phone modem like the SE 610i; you need an LG 830 or Motorola v3xx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Just set up with my K800i (3 Ireland) phone over 3G, moving along nicely, thanks guys for pointing me on the right track.

For the benefit of people who want to use 3 as service provider with Sony Ericsson phones, the only combination I got working was

- Download that modem script from http://www.taniwha.org.uk/
    - DONT use *99#, apparently the modem script does it for you
    - Use 'NONE', no quotes, as the account name.

Works a treat, thanks guys!

Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Can someone please post complete settings for a nokia, and is this using one of there internet packages , if so I was told this would not work with a laptop. can someone confirm this.

Can someone please post complete settings for a nokia, and is this using one of there internet packages , if so I was told this would not work with a laptop. can someone confirm this.

This thread is about Mac Os X -are you referring to that when you say 'laptop'?

What would the difference be, if you can use the mac to surf using 3, should you not be able to use a windows machine to do the same. Main question would be ,can you use there add on's to surf using a pc or a mac. for the mac how do you set up for a nokia phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Same setup using a Mac and Nokia phone, only difference is you need to grab a Nokia modem script. The one available from http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ works great. Works with 3, O2, Vodafone, Meteor and every other network I've tried including international networks.

The "Nokia Infrared" script as supplied with Mac OS X is really all you need.

What would the difference be, if you can use the mac to surf using 3, should you not be able to use a windows machine to do the same.

You would think :-)

for the mac how do you set up for a nokia phone?

Easy peasy: using the Bluetooth applet run "set up bluetooth device" and follow the instructions to pair with your Nokia device.

It will choose the 'Nokia Infrared' script for you as well as set the number dial as *99#. When finished, go back into network in 'system preferences', go into PPP options and untick 'send PPP echo packets' which will have been ticked by default. It might also be an idea to set Ipv6 to 'automatically'.

And, erm, thats it. Click 'connect' after that.

Done all this, do you need one of the data add ons for this or will it work with 3's mobile sites. I do not want to buy the add on until I know it works.

Done all this, do you need one of the data add ons for this or will it work with 3's mobile sites. I do not want to buy the add on until I know it works.

You need the data add-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Bluetooth setup on OS X is how it should be VERY EASY!

• Advertisement

update to this:

got age vrified etc,but have consantly problems connecting,i get a "unexpected modem" hangup and sometimes "check settings error" on the mac,sometimes it hangs on authienticating and disconnects..very strange behaviour.
    When i do get it to connect at totally random times, it doesnt load the pages BUT it downloads as a .php attachment...what the feck is going on????
    Its working fine when browsing on the phone.

damo

damo86 wrote:
    update to this:

got age vrified etc,but have consantly problems connecting,i get a "unexpected modem" hangup and sometimes "check settings error" on the mac,sometimes it hangs on authienticating and disconnects..very strange behaviour.
    When i do get it to connect at totally random times, it doesnt load the pages BUT it downloads as a .php attachment...what the feck is going on????
    Its working fine when browsing on the phone.

damo

As for the two problems that you're having, i get these all the time. It's nothing to do with 3 but everything to do with shortcomings of mobiles and bluetooth. I find that doing the following can help: turning bluetooth rapidly on and off on the handset and ticking/unticking 'the wait for dial tone' box on the mac.

Just to recap: make sure you have '3ireland.ie' as your dial-up number (and NOT ANY variant of *99), that the PPP echo packets nonsense is unticked and once again, I recommend the use of script number 5 for SE phones from the site previously mentioned. Using this combination I always have a rock-solid connection from all SE phones, far superior to any Nokia I have used so far.

cheers,had a go at seems to be stable now.
    any ideas on this downloading business?
    heres a pic of what it downloads when i try to open boards.ie and culabula,are you on pay monthly or 3pay?
    thanks again
    damo

When you download, what exactly do you do?

I have a Mobile Broadband 3000 SIM, therefore pay monthly.

this is what i do:
    1)connect to phone(via bluetooth)
    2)fire up safari browser
    3)click on the boards.ie mobiles/pda bookmark
    4)safari fires up its download manager and downloads the .php file above,cant open either.
    I'ved tried different websites and does the same..really strange!

Ive noticed that websites go through a 3ireland server called www.widerweb.net , this may have something to do with it?

It maybe different to you,culabula because you have the data card sim card
    I'll think i'll post a another topic bringing attention to 3pay users.

damo

Sorry, I thought that you were using your Mac!

im trying to use my mac, but it not loading pages but downloading them as above.
    apologies but dont think i understand your comment

edit:ive adjusted the above post to make you understand more

My apologies: I mistook your reference to mobiles/pda as a URL and thought you were talking about the phone's browser.

It's a strange one; if you go back to a normal ethernet or wifi connection, does the problem go away? It has to be something in your Mac's setting locally,it can't really be anything to do with 3, prepay or postpay.

What way have you configured IPv6 under TCP/IP in 'Network'?

• Advertisement

Have you ticked Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV) under proxies?

Advertisement