Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Floors

Options
  • 29-03-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Can anybody please tell me whats the diffreence between Semi solid floor and laminate? I thought the semi was sopose to be better but my friend got laminate and it looks class, it my new house Im trying to sort out. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks a mill.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Semi Solid has top layer as real wood on a bottom layer of plastic wood whereas laminate is pure fake through and through. I got very nice looking laminate and has all the grooves and knots but best of all, no scratches and marks on it so glad I got it though purists might say semi or full solid is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks The Driver I was all hung up on the laminate but now I will have a lok and see whats its like. Quick question do high heels(if you know) punture the laminate?Thanks a again :)

Never had a problem with the laminate to be honest though be warned, you will see a lot of nasty cheap looking stuff out there but I got mine in a builders providers as it looks fairly nifty and real, worked out 18 a square yard and its really the maintenance which I found great as it needs none compared to wooden.

Hi I was just going to go into to Des Kelly. Im not sure were to go. I looked up the yellow pages but I wouldnt even have a clue if I was being ripped off or not....But I will have to be a big girl and try an dodge the chancer. thanks aain for your help:)

• Advertisement

I'm down in the real capital so no help on where to go but try the big builders providers such as Dublin Builders Providers (I got mine there in the Cork branch)or even Woodies etc. Don't be afraid as its basically what looks nicest. Next question is how are you going to put it down? I did it with my Dad and its not difficult but not easy either, took good few nights altogether. PM if you want pic of how my floor looked if youwant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

irwin's of castleblaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

We've got Quickstep laminate flooring down in our living room. I must say it looks great and hasn't a mark on it after 4 years. It's dearer than other laminates but worth the extra. The main advantage of semi-solid over laminate is that it can be sanded (a bit) if it gets damaged. But we just prefered the look of the Quickstep.

Thank you everyone so much for the answers. The driver I would PM you if I knew how too so thank you anyway. Will shop around. Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

texas star wrote:
    Thank you everyone so much for the answers. The driver I would PM you if I knew how too so thank you anyway. Will shop around. Thanks again:)
    Click on his name and then click the send personal message option.

• Advertisement

Thanks Smashey, I would never have guessed that. TheDriver I sent you a PM.Thanks again:)

Advertisement