Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Carty for Ceann Comhairle?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:10pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's an interesting story on the front page of this week's Mayo Echo, suggesting that Rory O'Hanlon wants out of politics, and that Mayo FF deputy may be given the CC job in advance of the election to save him having to contest the seat.

Nobody seems to be confirming or denying at this stage, but it would be an incredibly cynical move if it happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Have other Ceann Comhairli in the past been as partisan as Rory O'Hanlon or is he a special case?

I presume Ceann Comhairle is something you typically take on towards the latter end of your career. Carty is a young enough guy from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

He might pass the job on to Ardal. Dougal McGuire for Ceann Comhairle.

Is Rory O'Hanlon related to Ardal. :eek:

I'm off to burn my box sets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

He's his Da!

No!!! :eek:

I'm still intrested to know if O'Hanlon is particularly partisan as Ceann Comhairles go. Or is that the norm? The last few CCs have been Labour or Fine Gael.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The only reason Carty would get it is because he's completely useless at everything else. He has been a TD for five years, the only FF in Mayo for most of them, since Beverly Flynn went indep, yet he hasn't done a tap for the people of Mayo. I'm no fan of Beverly but I can see why a lot of FF people will vote for her over him. I saw a picture of him in the Western People over the week and I didn't know who he was without the caption which is pretty disgraceful for your local TD.
    Mayo as a whole will be interesting the recent Red C poll shows loads of support for FG but still only 2 seats. Personally I'd be suprised if FF support remains as high. Some of Cartys vote could leak to Johhno and Cowley is essentially out of the running. Better vote management required by FG overall. I think O' Mahony will gain some as his exposure will increase between football season kicking of and him only recently added as the last candidate.

ballooba wrote:

I'm still intrested to know if O'Hanlon is particularly partisan as Ceann Comhairles go. Or is that the norm? The last few CCs have been Labour or Fine Gael.
    The government of the day if their numbers mean that they have the t.d to spare always choose the Ceann chomhairle.

Their casting vote always goes to the government of the day anyway if the vote is tied and that included Sean Tracy.He iirc was chosen so as to drop the labour fg numbers in the Dáil in a clever CJH move at a time when he was about to head a minority FF government.

Seamus pattison was chosen by the rainbow iirc.

http://ceanncomhairle.oireachtas.ie/history.asp

Theres the list from the foundation of the state.

Oh and yes Rory o Hanlon is Ardals dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ballooba wrote:

jeez.... what planet have you been on for the last 10 years?:confused:

jeez.... what planet have you been on for the last 10 years?:confused:
    Are you saying Rory O'Hanlon is impartial? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it required by law that the CC vote for the govt when there is a tied vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Not AFAIK all I know is that he or she has the casting vote.

Be glad to see the back of O'Hanlon, he's the worst and most partisan Ceann Comhairle in living memory IMO.

Advertisement