Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I totally forgot about this...

Looks pretty and will probably be very impressive... but then again, i loved GTA2, GTA3 blew me away but everything after 3 felt like an add-on to me. It'll shift consoles though, those kids love their violent videogames and parents love their scapegoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Hmm I expected more. The only conclusion I can really make from that trailer is the graphics are nice. No hints at any gameplay features or anything else. Previously the trailers would always give away something new like a glimpse of a motorbike in Vice City or a Plane flying in San Andreas or whatever. I know they've basically run out of new vehicles they can add but I figured there'd be something new and different they'd be showing off.

Do like the new main character though, seems to be eastern European. Bit of a surprise there, I wonder how it will go down. Just that little bit of dialogue makes it sound like it could be a much darker game, I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, GTA does light-hearted humour and satire brilliantly, I'm not sure it can deliver a convincing serious story.

Other thing of note is the city - is it New York or Liberty City? There seem to be too many very accurate models of real buildings for it just to be 'inspired by' New York the way Liberty City is. If it's an actual real city, and it's accurately mapped, we're looking at a world the size of San Andreas that's actually filled with buildings. Again, not sure if that would be a good or bad thing. I'd prefer a fictional city with a layout designed specifically for good gameplay, rather than a layout that just matches real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

steviec wrote:
    I know they've basically run out of new vehicles...
    Perhaps segways, pedal boats and ZORB balls will make an appearance.

I'd like if they gave the player the option to remove themselves from the game and let the city and crime take care of themselves until you felt ready to hit a plot mission or two. A kind of distance from the linear so that each playthrough would be a completely different experience eg. different gangs would be in different situations depending on both things happening without or with your intervention.

Giving you the real impression that when you start off, you're a complete nobody and to gain respect and notoriety you've got to really pull your weight and perhaps use strategy within the gangs to ascend eg. spying on other members, killing opposition within the gang and completing unscripted missions like stealing or helping out others with their missions.

That could be asking too much perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i wonder if it is going to go the same way as GTA 3 etc?

the first game is liberty city, then the second will be vice city etc.

or will it be like the original and 2 and have more then one city in the same game?

Just the mention of smuggling people had me thinking of inter city movement...or better multiple characters to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well for all the hype, thats a bit of a let down. Then again it's only a teaser trailer.

I've never been that impressed with GTA after the first one, and the 3D versions of the game have in recent times stunk of lazyness.

If they fix all the broken things from Vice City/San Andreas, then this might be decent. How long before we get a trailer with some gameplay though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I refuse to play any game where Roy Keane is the main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I refuse to play any game where Roy Keane is the main character.

He searches liberty city for new talent and then smuggles them back to Sunderland, at gunpoint. Sounds....interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Looks like NY that could be good wonder how much of it we are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

to be honest SAN ANDREAS had everything that could be expected from a GAME only downfall was the graphics, the trailer displays an imense improvement in graphics and im sure the gameplay would be up to andreas standards if not better, what i would like is more interaction with pedestrians, being able to walk into any building [or most ones] in NY, and being able to destroy buildings = perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

There's no point being able to walk into every building unless there's stuff in there, and generally there won't be. I don't think it makes it less immersive anyway, its only normal for everyone to lock their doors :)

There should be some shops, malls, that kinda thing, but in general GTA is an outdoor game. I'd be far more interested in seeing properly busy streets with pedestrians and cars in quantities like Dead Rising - its possible but the trailer doesn't give anything away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

steviec wrote:
    I'd be far more interested in seeing properly busy streets with pedestrians and cars in quantities like Dead Rising - its possible but the trailer doesn't give anything away.

That's what I'm most disappointed by from the trailer. It doesn't look like a city like NY should at a given time of day. And not just in terms of not being busy enough, but there's a natural rhythm and randomness to city that no game like this has properly captured yet. Go into any city, Dublin, and look at the behaviour of people on the street. They're not just milling around in a manner determined by 'crowd flocking algorithm #1045'. The trailer only briefly shows an accelerated clip of some groups of people, but they just seem to be walking by, not doing anything. I want to see people doing random normal things, not just walking from A to B. I want to see lots of varied, natural incidental behaviour on the part of people on the street, not the same stuff we saw in the last games, just with perhaps more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

It looks like new york but it is liberty city, apparently you can see the LCPD on cop car doors. Haven't confirmed this myself, but games sites, like 1up.com, have referred to it as Liberty City despite the statue of liberty-a-like etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Most sites are now saying it is LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

it looks nice graphically, but intil we see actual gameplay, im not convinced it wont just be GTA with a brand new engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

0ubliette wrote:
    it looks nice graphically, but intil we see actual gameplay, im not convinced it wont just be GTA with a brand new engine.
    I have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm salivating already. This and Burnout 5 are all I really want for my 360 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lookin good but will have to get a ps3 or xbox 360 to play this ?

awhir wrote:
    lookin good but will have to get a ps3 or xbox 360 to play this ?
    I think it will be out on Pc aswell

If its out on PC that's the platform I'll get it on, definately. However, for each of the recent GTA games they released them on PC about 8 months after they first appeared on consoles, which really, really sucks. Hope they don't do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

0ubliette wrote:
    that works for me though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

I've gotten bored of the GTA titles, but ill still buy it.. fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What about the Ferry terminal? That could mean that either you need to take the ferry to get to another city or perhaps you need to take control of a ferry at some point.

Not a lot given away but here we all are dicussing it which is exactly what Rockstar games wants us to do :D

Its a recreation of the real-life Staten Island Ferry terminal in New York.

Shouldn't this be moved to the GTA forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oh I knew what it was...who doesn't after the accident there a couple of years ago? I'm just looking for clues.

/dons deer-stalker hat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

It might say Liberty City, but it's definitely based on New York alright; Times Square, Empire States Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty... looks very nice, but the pedestrian density is once again a let down. There's no point in having a gorgeously detailed New York city if there's only 30 people on the screen. I'm sure the NaturalMotion endorphin characters will be very nice, but I'd prefer less detail people and more of them instead.

I'm pretty disappointed by this trailer; I was hoping for something that might at least hint what was new about the gameplay, characters, story etc, but instead it's just a 1-minute tech demo.

Advertisement