Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Skatepark

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdger839

was talking to the guys at swords today and the pool , wall ramp and spine ramp is now in place and concreteing will be done on tuesday. It looks massive, there is a street section but not in place yet. they are building a park in Blanchardstown as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

WHAT! MODULAR!! i thought it was going to be concrete!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

moonboy wrote:
    WHAT! MODULAR!! i thought it was going to be concrete!

It's both as they are modular concrete ramps!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

pictures os swords avaiulable on the skateclub website

http://www.goreyskateclub.com/gallery/irelands-skateparks

mmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bruki

Concrete's poured, "bowl", wallride and spine are finished.
    Skated the ramps til security turned up. They said it was going to be finished in a week or two. The Street section is missing some rails and the modules for it are still not positioned.
    The fact that it is a modular park is actually fine, cause they sunk all the ramps into concrete. There's no cracks or sheet metal in front of them. Just the street section will all be done with sheet metal in front of all the modules.

This is gonna be great...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdger839

Swords looks great now that slab is finished. guys there said two fun box's and start ramps are coming on tuesday .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Modular concrete is a pretty good idea tbh.

You get the high standard achieved trough factory conditions along with the smooth ride from it all being blended (for lack of better word) together.
    The curves of the ramps will all be the same, like steel modular ramps only without the lip.

Heavy things to be transporting thou

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭boarderco

at the end of the day, the more different parks we have the better, even with different transitions etc, its something to get used to and learn from.
    if they were all the same that would suck. plus its always better to do things on site incase any problems come up.
    as long as the right people build/design them (skaters/skater input) all
    should be sweet and ireland shall be a happy place to skate in the summer!
    skate them all while your not broken.
    happy skating
    wg

www.boardercoeire.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Only problem is that same company (SkateStone) are building Swords, Blanch & Monkstown. Havin been involved in the 'consultation' for Monkstown, I know that the builders are bein badly advised by people who don't really know what they're doin.:confused:

Swords does look good, but Blanch & current plans for Monkstown look Sh*te.
    I'm still wonderin how 1 company managed to land contracts for 3 different jobs (by 3 different councils).......?

1 step forward, 2 steps back

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Swords one looks pretty finished. There was a few skaters using it on Firday night / Saturday morning, but then they got security in. It looks very nice, and they look like they may be finished soon.

Spotted a ramp that still needs to be placed, but apart from that, they only need to put some fence things on the side. I'd say it'd be ready by May.

The only thing I REALLY dislike is the size. 10 tricks in a large box is better than 20 tricks in a small box, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Nicked from another forum.

Some examples of modular concrete work in Almere Holland. Park is 4 years old!

Picture026.jpg
    Picture013.jpg

The company who built it "Carve's" said they got the water table wrong + frost has popped all the pre cast sections up.Carve felt no obligation to fix the f**k up,took the money turned their backs & ran, blaming the city for giving wrong data!

Not saying this will happen here, might just be that Carve's company are crap, but dont get too excited that its pre cast sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭da1&only

i cant beleive its the first i have heard of any of this!!!haven skated in few years but i think its time to get back into it,whens the sword park opening up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 fionn001

any one got any pics of blanch or swords, seing as theyre both concrete moduar

Click the links, to see the full size. The first 3 were taken from the top floor of the 41C. The rest were taken from different sides. Some a bit blurred, cos the camera focused on the railing, instead of the ramps :/

They were taken last week, and they're still working on it.

th_DSCF0568.jpg
    th_DSCF0567.jpg
    th_DSCF0566.jpg
    th_DSCF0580.jpg
    th_DSCF0579.jpg
    th_DSCF0578.jpg
    th_DSCF0577.jpg
    th_DSCF0576.jpg
    th_DSCF0575.jpg
    th_DSCF0574.jpg
    th_DSCF0573.jpg
    th_DSCF0572.jpg
    th_DSCF0571.jpg
    th_DSCF0570.jpg

ahhh so sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

that looks good to me... i'l be heading out there.. is it open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

Saw quite a few people at the park over the weekend.
    I don't think it's been officially opened yet but it looks like it's a go. Security are only there after dark.

I haven't skated in 3 years since I broke my leg skiing but I reckon it could be time to dust off the ol' K2 xfers and get at it again. I imagine I'd be well old school down there.

awesome. i feel a few sore shins coming on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

its great that there are so many skateparks popping up around ireland. Swords blanch greystones and from what ive heard there will be work starting on one in Dun laoighre also and ive only named a few hehe

4 of friends of friends have been attacked or intimidated in swords. one was assaulted seriously. i know its not officially opened and 2 of em were just there to have a look...
    but will this place have security?
    actually thats a real stupid question.

what i want to know is why they built this in the middle of nowhere beside council housing? they should have put it beside something like a leisure centre or youth club. i can see this being a problem. i want somewhere to go where i dont feel intimidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Evolute when you say popping up around the country that must mean Dublin, I mean theres none in Mayo, Sligo or Roscommon from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

moonboy wrote:
    what i want to know is why they built this in the middle of nowhere beside council housing? they should have put it beside something like a leisure centre or youth club. i can see this being a problem. i want somewhere to go where i dont feel intimidated.
    ]

Because thats where the council often own large amounts of empty space thats not so valuable to developers as to make a skatepark obscenely expensive.

The Labour councillors here want to put the Maynooth one (ooh! modular ****e!) beside the playground in the large knacker-drinking field in the middle of the town. See above for the reasoning. The more logical place for security, access, lighting, etc would be at the same site as the new fire station on the outside of the town...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

moonboy wrote:
    4 of friends of friends have been attacked or intimidated in swords. one was assaulted seriously
    what i want to know is why they built this beside council housing? they should have put it beside something like a leisure centre or youth club. i can see this being a problem. i want somewhere to go where i dont feel intimidated.

Attacked by people who were skating there, or pikeys that were just hangin around the park? On the one hand, it's a novelty and something this new and unusual is always goin to attract a bad element but I think the novelty will wear off fairly quick. When I was down there most of the crowd seemed ok. I know I'm probably quite a bit older and bigger than most of the people there but in general the vibe was pretty good.

It's in the open so it's easy to spot people vandalising the place - perhaps a little near a main road but again if it's open it's less likely to encourage people to drink there and vandalise the place at night. Plenty of garda cars travel that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

no shorty i mean all ver ireland there just mightnt be enough skaters out there complaing that there isnt one. There aint nutting wrong with modular once there done well MYOB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

moonboy wrote:

there are loads of valid reasons for putting it around council areas(i live in malahide and the actualy area it is is a nice piece of land in an ok area)

secondly while you shouldnt have to, if you simply stand up for yourself swords is not an intimidating place at all and i really feel your friends weer just really unlucky............maybe its just me(im 21 and 6'2 and iv no hair so i can be a bit intimidating myself) but i never feel unsafe in swords

i should add that i have not bmx'd in a few years but with this so close i might have to whip out the old sta-500 for a spin

moonboy wrote:
    No offence, but don't go then. For your infomation, there are nothing but houses around the leisure centre in Applewood (Swords).

As for it being unsafe, I walk through there all the time, to goto work.

here i was just pointing it out is all. basically these were guys from the area(not skaters) who simply walked up to my friend and headbutted him in the park. its the type of **** you see in town at night.
    im old enough to look after myself but im worried about the younger kids who might be skating when there isnt older guys there to help out.
    just look out for each other is what im saying.
    see you all up there on opening day.
    peace out.

• Advertisement

opening date confirmed yet?

Advertisement