Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Skatepark

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another thread about the Swords Skate Park Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Another thread about the Swords Skate Park Here

Thats this thread dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

moonboy wrote:
    here i was just pointing it out is all. basically these were guys from the area(not skaters) who simply walked up to my friend and headbutted him in the park. its the type of **** you see in town at night.
    im old enough to look after myself but im worried about the younger kids who might be skating when there isnt older guys there to help out.
    just look out for each other is what im saying.
    see you all up there on opening day.
    peace out.

Well thanks for warning us.

I'm a girl and I just know I'll probably get **** if I went out to a park which is surrounded by council housing. It's inevitable anyone would, but being a girl I guess I'm an easier target. I've dealt with any trouble while out riding street really well, never come close to being jumped on or having my bike stolen for the past 3 years. You just have to keep your eyes open. Any sign of anyone dodgy approaching just get out of there. Just look out for yourself. If you talk to anyone that looks shifty or let them approach you then you just bring it on yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Jaysus, i remember the days of swinging my board so hard...connecting with skulls....ahhh those were the days! Clocked three guys in my time when i was younger, had to be done, i grew up on a council estate were skateboarding was considered weird!!!! They really couldn't get their tiny brains around it! Needless to say, the guys i clocked never bothered me again, but these days your likely to get stabbed if you do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Conor Chong

Is it open yet?????

Cheers

Chong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Beks wrote:
    Well thanks for warning us.

I'm a girl and I just know I'll probably get **** if I went out to a park which is surrounded by council housing. It's inevitable anyone would, but being a girl I guess I'm an easier target. I've dealt with any trouble while out riding street really well, never come close to being jumped on or having my bike stolen for the past 3 years. You just have to keep your eyes open. Any sign of anyone dodgy approaching just get out of there. Just look out for yourself. If you talk to anyone that looks shifty or let them approach you then you just bring it on yourself!

Yeah, just use your head (& I don't mean headbutts)
    Why build in council estate areas?
    BECAUSE LAND IS CHEAPER!!!

This isn't just an Irish phenomenon - ever been to Livingstone in Scotland?
    - amazing park, but in da middle of a ****hole
    Ever seen da hood in Marseilles?
    (Same as lots of other UK/Euro parks)

Skateparks are so low on council lists of priorities that we really don't have much choice where they're located - which is why its a MIRACLE that Bushy was ever built....and da real reason da local residents are still pissed-off & trying to have it closed
    Some chance :D

If you're gonna be in rougher areas, don't flash your new digi-camera & all your blingery.....some o' da foiks in these places will be only to happy to relieve ya of your trinkets

Have fun

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

JahEerie wrote:

Skateparks are so low on council lists of priorities that we really don't have much choice where they're located - which is why its a MIRACLE that Bushy was ever built....and da real reason da local residents are still pissed-off & trying to have it closed

If you're gonna be in rougher areas, don't flash your new digi-camera & all your blingery.....some o' da foiks in these places will be only to happy to relieve ya of your trinkets

Have fun

JohnBoy
    all very true.
    skate and create.

this is a nice park. the modular concrete is really slippy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

JahEerie wrote:

Have fun

JohnBoy

It's not in the council estate, it is in fact in a large playing field/park.

Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eoinycroiny

i hadnt skated in nearly 5 years until i went to australia last year and found outdoor parks everywhere, i was so bummed to come home thinking that we didnt have these kinds of facilities in ireland but man am i happy i found this forum. :o im bouncing in my chair looking at the pics of swords and blanchardstown, hmmmmm baby this is SWEET:D !!!!!!! cant wait to bring out the old school funk:cool:

• Advertisement

one other thing, does anyone know if skatecity in santry is still open:confused: iv been told it was shut down after a skater broke his neck trying a backflip( much respect and sadness to hear). it was a pritty sweet setup they had their

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

pretty sure its still open, there would have been a lot of posts if it had shut down, you could always ring them, think they are still listed under kart city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

so does sanyone know when its open? was up there on sunday, stood there for ten minutes contemplating how we were gonna get the bikes over the fence, then left and went to st annes.

this park is really too small for bikes.
    its not offically open but you can skate it no hassle.

one other thing, does anyone know if skatecity in santry is still open:confused: iv been told it was shut down after a skater broke his neck trying a backflip( much respect and sadness to hear). it was a pritty sweet setup they had their

Ramp City is still open (unless it shut VERY recently)
    There are rumours about it closing, but I think the accident you're referring to actually happened about 2 years ago.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the place (or the people who run it)
    but its all we've got when its lashin rain :mad:

I reckon that there's a real market for a decent INDOOR park in Dublin
    - with Bushy/Lucan/Swords/Blanch all bein outdoors, there must be a genuine need for somethin indoors.
    Suppose the cost of property in this town doesn't help.....

Cheers

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I like those skate parks in the states that have rooves over them and look like normal public parks but are skate parks

i checked ramp city out and its still open, went down their on sat. hasnt changed in 3 years (boring)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pawsome

Not true, they took away the small area and increased the price and turned a load of into some ****ty cafe thing! Now all the little kids have nwhere to start off and have to jump right into the deep end, which means they end up getting in the way of everyone, im not blamin the kids, im blaming the guys who own ramp city, all they care about now is their little shop and cafe and their go kart track

Pawsome wrote:
    Not true, they took away the small area and increased the price and turned a load of into some ****ty cafe thing! Now all the little kids have nwhere to start off and have to jump right into the deep end, which means they end up getting in the way of everyone, im not blamin the kids, im blaming the guys who own ramp city, all they care about now is their little shop and cafe and their go kart track

The kids area has been gone along time, its best to go their on a weekday but its pritty expensive. I went to swords skatepark yesterday, its awsome except for the paint it makes it very slippy and hard to get speed plus if you fall on it it burns like a motherf*ck, iv burns all over me i can barely move but its a nice setup and easy to get used too. roll on summertime:D

BTW the skatepark is finishd but its still fenced off but theirs a hole in it so no prob getin in. does anyone know if blanchardstown is finishd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

BTW the skatepark is finishd but its still fenced off but theirs a hole in it so no prob getin in. does anyone know if blanchardstown is finishd?
    I'll let you know later on if some one else doesnt when im on the way back to cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brice De Nice

Hey, advice sought.... I'm not a skater but with all these bowls opening up I threatening to start out something I've always wanted to do. I'm 30 (no laughing down the back) but am still nimble so I reckon I'm capable of getting going. I surf and snowboard but what's stopped me before is a succeptability to injuries. I play football aswell and notice my knocks taking that little bit longer to heal. I've always been drawn to bowl riding and would be into that more so than kick flips and what not. Am I jumping off the deep end, if you excuse the pun??

I have a longboard skateboard and skated a park in Nz on a regular board, just going up and down a half pipe, pivoting at the top and back down, so i can handle a board no problem. I dont have any aspirations of going big or anything, just cruising the bowl and having a bit of fun when there's no surf out west on the weekends.

So, am i having a laugh trying to start now? .... again, its the injuries id be looking to avoid. Is it possible to skate and not be constantly nursing torn ankle ligaments. I get enough of that from the ball. I can handle scuffed elbows, but broken bones.... no thanks!!

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Hey, advice sought.... I'm not a skater but with all these bowls opening up I threatening to start out something I've always wanted to do. I'm 30 (no laughing down the back) but am still nimble so I reckon I'm capable of getting going.
    <snip>

rt now? .... again, its the injuries id be looking to avoid. Is it possible to skate and not be constantly nursing torn ankle ligaments. I get enough of that from the ball. I can handle scuffed elbows, but broken bones.... no thanks!!

Any advice appreciated.

if you were starting from scratch then youd be in dreamland but you can surf and snowboard and have been in a skatepark before even if it was only once it wont take long for the basics to come back...............if you can handle being one of if not the oldest in the park then go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Nothing to it but to do it. Skating, surfing and snowboarding are all the same in terms of stance and balance, but although you move slower on a skateboard, it's a much quicker technique. Get a smaller board - 8 1/4" would do you if you're used to longboards - push around the city, get used to it again. First up, get your basic fs and bs ollies and nollies down on street as that will help your coordination and confidence and the technique will stand to you in bowls and parks. Sprained ankles are a common injury in skating and largely unstoppable. Swimming and cycling are good for rebuilding knackered ankles, while yoga helps strengthen, stretch and supple your ligaments - while it won't prevent a rolled ankle, it will limit the severity.

As for the age thing, I'm 30, been skating 17 years now. A load of pros are around that age and there's a fair few sponsored skaters in Dublin who won't see their 20s again. Age shouldn't stop you unless you want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I forgot to drive past the park in blach, soz.

Skateboarding is something id like to do some time as well

fisheye wrote:

As for the age thing, I'm 30, been skating 17 years now. A load of pros are around that age and there's a fair few sponsored skaters in Dublin who won't see their 20s again. Age shouldn't stop you unless you want it to.

Well Said!
    If ya hit Bushy at the right time ya might be a youngster!!!
    A couple of us are in our mid-late 30s & there are even a couple of 40-somethings (names witheld to protect their egos ;) )

Seriously tho, get yourself a good set of pads (Knees & elbows & a set of wrist-guards are a good idea) Helmets are unofficially optional in Bushy now, but defo a good idea when you're startin out.
    Lazy Dog skateshop in Dunlaoghaire was doin a good deal on Rector & Smith gear.

Another bit of advice would be to get to the park early (before midday) on a week day if possible. Bushy is my local, so I know how hectic it gets & Monday-Friday before noon is best time for a quiet sesh.
    Avoid weekends - unless ya have no choice.

See ya in da deep end

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brice De Nice

Inspiring feedback. Cheers lads.... I'm goin for it!!!

I'm from Blanch area so might give that park a belt first.

Now, how much should I splash out on a board?? I was in G1 skates on O'Connell St. but they didnt seem to have too much at entry level.

I'm a bit of an old skool enthusiast... would an old skool shape deck be suitable for cruising the pools??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

nice skate park in swords - i live beside it - but what a shame the animals have ruined it with graffiti. fu*cking idiots. I'd break legs if i could.

what looked really nice - now looks like a ghetto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Phaeton

Is it opened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

i went down ta swords 3 weeks ago it wasnt officially open but there was loads of people skating it cos someone made a gap in the fence nd ya can just walk in ders a lil cabin thing with a security guy in it but he let evryone skate should be open by now though.... a cool security guard theres a once in a lifetime thing lol

Advertisement