Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really want to move to the states

Options
  • 30-03-2007 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Basically I'm an artist an i'm sick of Ireland and really want to explore the states , however I'm not loaded (ie have enough to probably get over an back but not eat) and have no nice Americans who'll marry me:)
    I've been trying to get an American company to sponsor me (im a qualified animator) and make some contacts via like myspace and such.
    anyone any other ideas on ways of getting in? and preferably if you do get in staying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

don't know how much experience you have of the place, but I have lived and worked over there and been in 10 different cities all over the US.

unless you have some good experience of the place (like a J1, so 3 months continuous stay) I would be careful before I packed in this dump for that one.

They both have their faults, but moving to the US without family/close friends there in case things go south is a risk.

Losing a job, missing a paycheck or just getting sick can literally get you on the streets and once you are there its pretty hard to recover.

I speak from sad experience of a few wide-eyed friends who went over there, had some tough times, found their way onto the streets and were never heard of again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It might be worth your while to get educated with the different types of visas available and how they are obtained. Check the US Embassy site for Ireland. Either way it is going to be a costly procedure unless you have someone to sponsor you. I know you haven't gotten much money but I would suggest going over for a holiday to suss things out.

Advertisement