Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electoral register

Options
  • 30-03-2007 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

I received direct mail addressed to me personally from an election candidate yesterday.
    They obtained my details from the electoral register.
    On the register, I am on the edited register as NO, meaning my details cannot be used for marketing or commercial communications.

I didn't realise until today that election candidates can send me as much rubbish as they wish, even though I'm on this list. Is this acceptable behaviour? Is there any way I can stop them from obtaining my personal information and sending me their propaganda?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

As far as I know, each candidate is allowed send one item of mail to each constituent free of charge. I would assume they are allowed send further mail if they pay to do so.

You can request not to receive these mailings. You can also put a notice on your letterbox that you don't wish to receive leaflets. It would be a silly candidate that would ignore a sign like that, regardless of how low their profile might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

They can refer back to previous versions of the electoral register from before you asked for it to be amended to No - I presume its published annually or something. Chances are they wouldn't have changed radically. That, at least is what a call centre I had the misfortune to work for briefly used do. God it was **** when I'd ask to speak to someone who had subsequently died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Is it too late to get on the electoral register?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it too late to get on the electoral register?
    There will be an opportunity immediately after the election is called, up to about a week before polling day.

Advertisement