Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepariing walls for paint?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Renonovating the spare room in the house. I have taken down an old built in wardrobe installed by the previous owners. The Wall behing the wardrode has some old wall paper on it, its has curled around the edges of where the wardrobe is, so is uneven. In other spots there is no paper at all. The rest of the room is papered but is smooth and painted, I dont want to remove the wallpaper from behind where the wardrode used to be as I would end up having to strip the entire room. Whats the best way to get that area all nice and even so I can do a good paint job on it. Should I sand it? I've given it a go with minimal succes, should I persevere or is there a smarter way to do this?

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can't sand wallpaper. It clogs the sandpaper grain!
    Strip it back with the usual method of soapy water/scraper or a steamer where it's rough and cover over the areas with new paper.
    You can get wallpaper designed for painting over.
    You'll have to trim the edges of the old paper to match the new, or overlap it significantly to prevent obvious joins.

Advertisement