Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corp Superintendent Arrested for Drunk Driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Golferx wrote:
    Now, instead of standing up like a man and taking his medicine, as a member of the Garda Siochana, he is trying to run away with his pension intact

In fairness, in the same situation, would you be all full of principles and be the "better man" or look for a way out where you stiill get paid. He's only human afterall. Best of a bad situation and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I think that the 4 year penalty and the fine will depend on the judge he ends up in front of.

Let's hope that it's Mary Fahy in Galway, who's not known for being lenient on drunk drivers (not because he's a Garda, but because I'd like to see all drunk drivers in front of her!!!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Altreab wrote:
    Jim McDaid was banned from driving .....as was GV Wright (correct me if im wrong on that one)
    IIRC they got lenient sentences. They received no punishment from the political spectrum who at the time were trying to encourage people not to drive whilst under the influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

kbannon wrote:
    IIRC they got lenient sentences. They received no punishment from the political spectrum who at the time were trying to encourage people not to drive whilst under the influence.

In fairness to McDaid, he resigned his ministerial post, pleaded guilty in court and accepted his ban and fine without appealing.

If he had fought it out the worst they could have done would be for Bertie to sack him as minister, and then the district court to convict him and fine and disqualify him.

Same thing!!

So after an incredibly stupid drunken episode at least he put his hands up and took his medicine.

Yes but the fact remains that Bertie did nothing with either of them!

• Advertisement

yes, you are correct, but my point is, he didn't have to do anything with McDaid because the man put his hands up and administered his own political punishment.

I've no political affiliations but I do give credit when somebody admits focking up and subsequently walks the plank unaided.

True but (and were are getting political here which I didn't want) but GV Wright & McDaid are still members of FF - surely they should have been booted out. McDaid is also standing for FF in Donegal next May. Mind you, given that Ivor Callelly is being put forward for them again it shows their attitude!

And the voters in Donegal and Dublin will decide if they are to represent their respective constituencies for another term. So we have only ourselves to blame.:(

:D Anyway back on topic, who will be the next traffic Supt in Galway and how long will he last?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Newspaper wrote:
    It is understood that when his official car was stopped by local gardai at a roundabout outside Loughrea he claimed that he had been "set up" by the garda authorities.

How could he have been set up? Did some one spike his drinks? Perhaps he was held down and had booze forced down his neck?

With respect to getting sacked from a job for drink driving, I have worked for a number of companies where this would be the case. Not because of the drink driving nessecarily, but as someone mentioned, the whole criminal record thing.

If an IT company will sack an employee for being convicted of a crime but the organisation which is supposed to uphold the nations laws won't (or can't), there is something badly wrong.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like a set-up to me. Did he not have (anonymous) accusations made against him in his previous post in Nenagh? Did he not then take legal action against the Commissioner to prevent his transfer to HQ in Dublin? Then, three weeks after taking up his present position, this happens. Not normal run-of-the-mill stuff, imo.

Some posters here strike me as typical lynch mobbers. Let the legal system run its course before looking for a suitable tree ffs.

It is a fact of life that in any sample of 12,000 working people, there will be a percentage of them who regularly drive, or work, under the influence of some unprescribed drug. Is there random drug-testing (including alcohol) in the GS (or all PSV drivers)? I don't think so, but there should be.

What about the case of the driver of the Garda car in Stillorgan a few years ago who was killed (along with his partner) after positioning his vehicle broadside to stop a stolen car? He was later proven (after repeated tests) to have over two and a half times the legal limit of alcohol in his blood. Do you think he was the only Garda on duty at that time who was under the influence?

If the person who is the subject of this thread is entltled to retire, then he cannot be prevented from doing so. It also looks better (if and when any court proceedings take place) if he can be described as a 'former member of the GS'.

How does this whole situation compare with the Dean Lyons fiasco, where senior officers, still serving, have not even been reprimanded over their alleged compliance in the totally bogus 'confession' made by him? A much more serious scenario, which no one seems to care much about.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat."

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

I would hate to be the Cop who did him ... The main men wont be happy with this scandal even if he was doing his job .. Im sure they have a code of lookin out for each other even if it is wrong to ... It would be like a family thing ... But this one tips the boat as it created such a storm .. He might think he was right but they will dog him im sure of it for turning in his own

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tested garda set for €138k payout - He's also getting a full pension of half his current wage of €92,000.
    Yep he's being punished hard for his crimes.

As to claims of being set up, irrelevant unless someone spiked his drink, which no one seems to be claiming. He knowingly got into a car with drink on him, he knew he was breaking the law.
    I'm sure most people here wouldn't dream of getting into a car after drinking alcohol, he put peoples lives at risk by doing so, simple as that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Longfield wrote:
    Tested garda set for €138k payout - He's also getting a full pension of half his current wage of €92,000.
    Yep he's being punished hard for his crimes

I love this country.:) Mental note: must join Fianna Fail.

€92k per annum and job security? Where do I sign up???

As for being set up, as several others have said he only has himself to blame.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Golferx wrote:
    D

Now, instead of standing up like a man and taking his medicine,

This Board is full of people with posts about how they just happened to be over the speed limit or couldn't buy a bus ticket or.. and got fined and now want help to get around it. That's human nature and we'd all do it.

On the other hand yer man has to be some sort of muppet to do what he did (if he did what he is alleged to have done)...

ninty9er wrote:
    our groupin on campus at UL are putting a petition of this nature together for McDowell, but liklihoods of a public servant getting sacked are very slim, especially with rumours that he was "done"

I agree though, what I said was at least

Ogra Fianna Fail grouping ? What about getting yer own ministers sacked for thieving and what not....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Guard. Drinking Driving. Caught. Retired. Proberly lose license. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fey! wrote:
    Name 3 where it is distinctly drink driving as opposed to having gained a criminal record. To a few others on here - drink driving is not a sackable offence
    Pilot? Safety officer? Surgeon?
    esel wrote:
    It is a fact of life that in any sample of 12,000 working people, there will be a percentage of them who regularly drive, or work, under the influence of some unprescribed drug. Is there random drug-testing (including alcohol) in the GS (or all PSV drivers)? I don't think so, but there should be.
    AFAIK all gardai are subject to a random drug-testing regime, what with access to high-performence vehicles and firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

esel wrote:
    Looks like a set-up to me.

Do you have evidence that his drinks were spiked or the test was falsified? If not then how was he set up?

MrP

Victor; since when does a drink driving charge cause the loss of any of those jobs? Is it fact or supposition? Cite cases please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

parsi wrote:
    Ogra Fianna Fail grouping ? What about getting yer own ministers sacked for thieving and what not....?

I didn't make this political

citation please???

If you refer to a certain CJ Haughey....I recall remaining seated during an Ard-Fheis staniding ovation to him so you can guess my view on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Victor wrote:
    Pilot? Safety officer? Surgeon?

AFAIK all gardai are subject to a random drug-testing regime, what with access to high-performence vehicles and firearms.

Wrong, Gardai and Prison Officers are not randomly drug tested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

craichoe wrote:
    Wrong, Gardai and Prison Officers are not randomly drug tested.

Aye because unlike the army...they can be trusted ;)

ninty9er wrote:
    I didn't make this political

citation please???

If you refer to a certain CJ Haughey....I recall remaining seated during an Ard-Fheis staniding ovation to him so you can guess my view on him

Your political grouping is calling for action - that's political.

Citation - try this one http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0926/flood.html

parsi wrote:
    Your political grouping is calling for action - that's political.

Citation - try this one http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0926/flood.html

searched the article for cases of "robbing", "thieving", "stealing", none came up...payments did though...I condemn the taking of payments for political favours, but just because a party is on the opposition benches doesn't mean they haven' done the same....does the name Michael Lowry mean anything to you...doubt it. He was a FG minister well acquainted with Dermot Desmond's pocket

I won't apologise for calling for the raping of this man's job from him along with a percentage of his pension....he was put in a particularly responsible public position. It would be like a creche worker raping all the kids that come through the place and not getting sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ninty9er wrote:
    does the name Michael Lowry mean anything to you...doubt it. He was a FG minister well acquainted with Dermot Desmond's pocket
    He was forced to leave the FG party.

You did make this thread political. This is not the politics forum.

parsi made this political, I'm involved in many groupings, ÓFF just happens to be 1, at least 2 of the others could viably take up this issue

ninty9er wrote:
    searched the article for cases of "robbing", "thieving", "stealing", none came up...payments did though...I condemn the taking of payments for political favours, but just because a party is on the opposition benches doesn't mean they haven' done the same....does the name Michael Lowry mean anything to you...doubt it. He was a FG minister well acquainted with Dermot Desmond's pocket

Corruption = lawbreaking. Drink driving=law breaking. Taking payments for favours means that the best option (for teh taxpayer) may not be chosen and thence we pay more.
    ninty9er wrote:
    I won't apologise for calling for the raping of this man's job from him along with a percentage of his pension....he was put in a particularly responsible public position. It would be like a creche worker raping all the kids that come through the place and not getting sacked

That is a disgraceful comparison. It should be withdrawn. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Read that again when you've kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

@ ninty9er

Your sig shows you are a supporter of the most corrupt organisation to exist in this country of ours in the past 100 years. You really should be ashamed of your sig. How many of the corrupt thugs in that organisation have resigned over the past while?

• Advertisement

parsi wrote:
    Corruption = lawbreaking. Drink driving=law breaking. Taking payments for favours means that the best option (for teh taxpayer) may not be chosen and thence we pay more.

That is a disgraceful comparison. It should be withdrawn. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Read that again when you've kids.

On the first one yes. *I don't condone corruption, but the way people on here are talking you'd think it was party specific

The second one was only a slight overreaction. My mother operated a creche for 10 years so I have had enough experience to know I feel the same disgust for both crimes. drink driving is just as bad....ask anyone who's survived being hit by a drunk driver if they can sleep at night....if they can get in a car and if they have psychological issues

Now I'm going to take off my political hat as some people are getting upset by it and that's not what this thread is for

Advertisement