Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between ADSL modem and Broadband router?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm looking to replace me eircom netopia router (model #3347WG) as it doesn't support DMZ. I was having a look on Komplett for options and they have 2 sections.

1. Broadband routers
    2. ADSL modems

My question, which do I need? and whats the difference, when would I need one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

what internet connection do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

An eircom line, 3Mb/s broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You need an ADSL modem (Option 2). The broadband router is just that, a router. It needs to be connected to an external ADSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

or indeed some other mysterious network.
    Router = No modem built in
    Modem = Might or might not have a Router built in

Either might or might not have WiFi
    A Wifi base may or may not have a built in router and/or Modem.

But since you have a Modem/Router, if it can have the WiFi disabled, and put into Bridge mode, then you could buy a Router (with or without WiFi). The router would then work with NTL, Metro, Breeze, Clearwire or Ripwave instead of the existing ADSL.

A Router with built in ADSL will only work with ADSL.

There is a Linksys with a PCMCIA/PCcard slot and WAN connector so you can use a 3G/HSDPA card as backup.

Advertisement