Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic Feeding Bowls

Options
  • 30-03-2007 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get an automatic feeding bowl for cats? I saw them in America but the only ones here seem to be about €100. (they were about $50 in the states.)

I want it for about 4 meals to allow me to go away for a couple of nights without having to find someone to do the feeding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I think i remember seeing one in the Argos catalogue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I had one for my cats - it took them about two minutes to figure out how to open it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

I got one with two separate dishes at a reasonable price (less than 30 euro) at Homebase a couple of months ago. Called Petpod, made by Staywell.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

anniehoo wrote:
    I think i remember seeing one in the Argos catalogue..

Yep i bought one in argos a few years ago,can't remember how much it cost.
    It had four compartments and one opens each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

i got one in pet shop in dublin a five day feeder call them and see if they have any left 6779060

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Would you not get a neighbor to feed the cat or use a cattery.Five day feeder in my opion is not a great idea.Your leaving the cat for that long anything could happen what if it needs a vet on the second day after you go away.I wouldnt be happy to leave my cat more than over night without checking she is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Tbh I wouldn't use one for more than one night 2 at a stretch if there was say an emergency. They could go faulty plus litter trays need to be cleaned regularly. Also what if the cat becomes ill while you are away. Not a good idea to leave any animal more than 24 hours on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

My uncle is a carpenter and he made a genius invention for feeding the dog!!

He put a wooden box on the wall with 6 compartments inside it, and a bowl thing at the bottom the dog presses the bowl down and a few seconds later a half portion of his food ends up in the bowl not usre how he did it but only max 2 portions come out per day!

Also he got a friend of his to do something simlar with an outside tap, the dog presses a pedal and water comes from the tap, its only him and the dog and this way the dog is fine if he's not back on time for dinner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

You might like to check these - definitely an unbeatable price for feeders as I was able to add them into a container of other stuff from China, thus they are about 40% cheaper than other places!

http://www.giftmaster.ie/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Don't think I would leave any animal unsupervised for such a long period. Far better to go to the trouble of finding a dependable person to do the feeding. Surely your cats deserve better than be left for 4 days at the mercy of an electronic feeding bowl - what if there is a power cut??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I gotta say, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my cat at the mercy of a machine. My girlfriend wanted to get one for ours when we were away in December. We just ended up getting someone. As antisocial as cats are, I think they must appreciate a little human contact, even fleeting.

Sorry, I know you were looking for factual answers, not everyone's opinion on the issue of electronic feeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

We have one we got in Woodie's. It's battery operated and you can set it to turn and open the next compartment after 8, 12 or 24 hours. I'd only use the dried food in it and have never used it for longer than a weekend (as in Sat morning to Sun evening). I think the food might be soggy or just not as nice after that anyway. It's quite hard to clean the thing out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

dame wrote:
    We have one we got in Woodie's. It's battery operated and you can set it to turn and open the next compartment after 8, 12 or 24 hours. I'd only use the dried food in it and have never used it for longer than a weekend (as in Sat morning to Sun evening). I think the food might be soggy or just not as nice after that anyway. It's quite hard to clean the thing out too.

Hi

We took these into our range because, 1. I coudln't find them for under €100 anywhere and 2. because they keep food fresh as teh food units are sealed until the alloted time. - Water & ice departments in them too!

As for the previous poster about leaving cats - sometimes it can be hard to get neighbours at short notice, particularly if you are in a rural area. - Now I can go away for a night knowing the cats will be fed at their normal times.

Advertisement