Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for advice re website

Options
  • 30-03-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I don't know if I'm posting in the correct forum or not (feel free to move it if its not in the right place :) )

ok, so I have a bit of a problem. I'm looking to do some work on my family's business website. I have the knowledge but I've just found one problem.
    I don't have access to upload/edit files on the site. The previous "webmaster" has the password, he is a bit of a cowboy which I don't like. The site wasn't designed in the best way and he overcharged my father for his services (which I've just found out) :mad:
    As a result of this we're not in contact with him anymore, but we need access to the website to make changes and update the details.

What should I do in this case? Should I contact the hosting company? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. sorry for the long post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If the account with the hosting company is in the name of your family's business then there won't be a problem getting the access details.

If your account with the hosting company contains contact details belonging to the cowboy, you may need to send an official company letter to send access details to your email address instead.

As soon as you have access to the account, you should change the username and password and remove any of his details straight away in order to keep him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Are you paying the bills for hosting ?

If so just contact the hosting company and have them change the passwords for you.

Maybe send the original guy a mail as well after letting him know whats happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

There are so many so called "cowboys" around, it really annoys me. Don't suppose you're Cavan based there joe robot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

thanks for the replies.
    yes, the company is paying for the hosting.
    i'll get in touch with the hosting company then :)
    i'll definitely be changing the passwords!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Mirror wrote:
    There are so many so called "cowboys" around, it really annoys me. Don't suppose you're Cavan based there joe robot?

no, thankfully i'm not from Cavan :D
    I'm in Dublin. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement