Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodak v610 or Powershot G7 ?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a new digital camera and Im looking at the Kodak v610 or the Powershot G7. Any opinions on either ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I would go with Cannon over Kodak anyday. The Powershot series is good IMHO. Plus I think its fair to say the G7 is technically a better camera than the V610. They are both reviewed here, check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,285 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Depends what you want the camera for and how you'll be using it

i'd say the better camera is the canon, but the kodak might be more useful.

i was in a similar position the last few years, had both a canon and a pentax, the canon took much better pictures, but the pentax was much lighter and more portable so i could take it anywhere and used it much more.

if your looking for best picture quality the canon will likely be better, but it's a bulky camera and you can't just stick it in your pocket. if you won't be doing much printing but want a camera to take snapshots the kodak should be fine. if you have the camera with you all the time, you won't miss any shots.

haven't read much about this canon, but was considering getting the kodak a while ago. the movie mode is meant to be good on it, the zoom looks great, very compact. down side seemed to be it wasn't very responsive and getting a good shot out of it would be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

@H2G2 - Ive checked out dpreview but the reviews tend to be nearly too technical, picking faults which maybe arent big faults - if that makes sense?

The main use for the camera will be holiday snaps and the like. It doesnt need to be really compact but I dont want SLR bluky. I do want a camera that will take good pictures but I dont have a hugh interest in photography. The Kodak is a lovely looking camera and has a nice big lcd screen - will I be dissapointed with the picture quality ? I am slightly leaning towards the canon because its canon and the amount of features packed into the G7, though Im not sure Ill ever use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

made the same choice myself a few months back, I didn't like the g7 bulkiness, the Kodak takes decent pictures and has 10x zoomy, also takes really good video shots as well.

Downside is the battery life is OK, due to the lovely big LCD screen, shoot 2 save speed is slightly slow, these are minor points.

Try and get using both, before buying.

I got mine on pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Any Ideas where I could find the two cameras in town ?

I also read the Kodak doesnt tell you the image is / could be blurry until after you take the picture ? Sounds a little annoying..... Also how well does the 10x pics come out - again reading dpreview, the guy didnt sound too impressed but is the quality decent or rubbish, any image stabilities probs at that zoom ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement