Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a valid complaint

Options
  • 30-03-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I sent this email last monday and have had no reply...

< To whom it may concern,
    <
    < Myself and my wife (just married) decided to buy a family car with a budget of 20k.
    <
    < Not knowing much about cars we said we'd need to try a large range to be sure we were happy with what we bought because 20K is a lot of money.
    <
    < So from last Saturday to today we've been to a few dealers. Test drove many cars and I must say all the dealers were nothing but courteous and helpful. From offering tea or coffee or to take the car away for a day and come back and see how we felt about it.
    <
    < Then we came to ELM motors today (approx 2pm Monday, 26th March), basically because I have a lancer myself and I'm very happy with it but my wife is trading up & we wanted something a bit bigger than a lancer. We looked for a used Charisma which there was none, after looking around saw a '04 Santa Fe thought it maybe a bit above our budget but said we'll try it anyway.
    <
    < The salesman came out we asked were there any used Charisma's he said there was none, we asked to drive the Santa Fe, got the key, drove it, liked it but wanted to keep looking. We then asked for a used Volvo S40 but the salesman said he didn't have any. We saw a brand new lancer EUR19,900, asked for the key, got the key but we just sat in it, we didn't want to waste anyone's time it was too small, we said that to the salesman & continued to look some more.
    <
    < We then came across a Volvo S40 OURSELVES on the on the lot which was right outside the door of the Volvo office (refer to last paragraph). The price approx EUR19,000, engine size was around what we were looking for & the price was right. My wife asked for the keys to drive this.
    <
    < We were told by the same salesman that we can't be asking for any more keys that we went from a Santa fe to a lancer and now an S40 (again we were spending a lot of money). The S40 was only the 'SECOND' car we wanted to test drive.
    <
    < After he said this I was shocked, could not believe it! I told him that I wanted to try a few cars before I choose. He walked away from me (hope you have cctv). Again this was only the 2nd car I wanted to drive. I followed him and said we were willing to spend 20k on a car and that I couldn't understand why he would not let me test drive. At this point I was very frustrated at the way I had been just treated.
    <
    < My wife returned to her car absolutely devastated, she was made to feel absolutely worthless. I was particularly confused because of the treatment we got from all other dealers. I then went in to the sales office & told the salesman that I couldn't believe I was refused to get a key for a 2nd test drive. At this point I left.
    <
    < Surely this is deplorable business practice!
    <
    < The way your business is run is really not the issue. The problem I have is the treatment of myself and particularly my wife as she asked for the 2nd set of keys.
    <
    < I want to know the answer to this question: Why were we not given the 2nd car to test drive?
    <
    < If I don't get a satisfactory answer to this within a day I will be sending the above email to every car buyers blog/ forum/ website and will also consult a solicitor.
    < My wife never felt so mistreated in all her life. Do you treat all customers like this! Is it policy to only allow one test drive!
    <
    < Some points to note: We both have full time jobs, which we took time out of today 'Monday' to look at cars, we were not going around for the crack just looking at cars & also we were the only 2 people in the car lot at that time today.
    <
    < I will never buy a Volvo or a Mitsubishi if that's the standard of customer service at your dealerships.
    <
    < I will also be telling this story to everyone I know, which is well within my rights.
    <
    < regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's amazing. I've never heard of a car salesman walking away from someone willing to spend twenty grand before.

If you wanted to put the sh*ts up them then you should write to Volvo and Mitsubishi directly informing them that their dealer is in the business of blanking customers. See what they say about it. Did you happen to get the salesman's name? That would be useful if you did.

http://www.volvocars.ie/footer/contact/
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=9438

For further airtime you could contact a radio show like Jerry Ryan, Ray D'Arcy or Joe Duffy.

Where are Elm motors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭doc71

thanks for the replies, i had sent tothe mitsubishi ireland also and they didnt reply I m sending volvo now. It may seem petty to some but they way we were made feel i cant let it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

So you're going to consult a solicitor? How much compensation are you hoping for exactly? Why not get off your high horse and just go to another dealership.

i just said that to get a response, and i did go to other dealerships. this is a consumer issues thread??? would this not come under that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Consult a solicitor? Get a grip man :rolleyes:

Dont buy a car from them, end of story. If you feel the need for a worthless generic apology letter then by all means get on to volvo ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would have done the same as the salesman tbh. You were looking at and test driving cars that, by your own admission, you had no intention or means of purchasing.

Just because you intended to buy a car, does not mean that they should roll out the red carpet for you. The variance between the types of cars you were looking at would indicate a tyre-kicker also.

20K??? is that not enough...My whole intention was to spend 20k on a car. I dont want the red carpet rolled out, just wanted to test drive a 2nd car...wtf...remember 20k.
    Dont know which car to buy so hence the test drive req.

oh.. i keep forgeting this is ireland..cant complain. if u feel ur badly treated you should go to someone else. Is that what ye are telling me.

All i wanted to know was why they wouldnt allow the second on second test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might have been something a little more fundamental such as, maybe he only gets commision for certain cars.. he could have had an bunch of cars to shift and someone else looked after the volvo so he could not be arsed.. Probably not the case and even if it is its terrible service but its possible i suppose. I mean you asked was there a Volvo and was told NO but then you came across one yourself :D

doc71 wrote:
    and will also consult a solicitor.
    <

For what?

Unless you are a member of the travelling community and felt that this was the basis for the perceived discrimination, or something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

wyndham wrote:
    I would have done the same as the salesman tbh. You were looking at and test driving cars that, by your own admission, you had no intention or means of purchasing.
    You must be reading a completely different thread as that's not what he said at all. One car wasn't suitable as it was too small (the Lancer, which he already has one of). He looked at an SUV which he said was nice and suitable and in the price range but you don't go buying the first car you see now do you?

The salesman acted like an ass, either because he wasn't bothered or wasn't on commission for the cars he was looking at.
    oh.. i keep forgeting this is ireland..cant complain.
    I'd forget the solicitor route, which I think you know yourself as you only did it to see if you get a response. Write a letter to both Volvo and Mitsubishi, not email, and maybe one to the manager at the dealership too. Just say that you were looking at a few cars with the intention of buying and were completely snubbed by the rep and you just wanted them to know.

• Advertisement

doc71 wrote:

<
    < So from last Saturday to today we've been to a few dealers. Test drove many cars and I must say all the dealers were nothing but courteous and helpful. From offering tea or coffee or to take the car away for a day and come back and see how we felt about it.
    <
    I have a lancer myself and I'm very happy with it but my wife is trading up & we wanted something a bit bigger than a lancer.....

< We saw a brand new lancer EUR19,900, asked for the key, got the key but we just sat in it, we didn't want to waste anyone's time it was too small, we said that to the salesman & continued to look some more.
    <

Pulled up to the garage in a Lancer, requested the keys to a Lancer, sat in it and then decided it was too small. Could you not have sat in your own car at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

what has that got to do with this post? He is complaining about bad service not the size of a lancer.
    also thats not a very smart comment. Its like thinking about buying a new Yaris and deciding its too small after all.. there is no point sitting in their old yaris as its a different car, the new one being a lot bigger than the old. Etc so point is, just because the Lancer they had was small does not mean the one they looked at was the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sadly I find this common, and car dealerships are certainly high on my "moany old man list of things I hate in Ireland". I have been seen reps in these places curse, swear, thump doors, and just plain blankly ignore customers. I've actually had to leave one place as everybody refused to even speak to me,a nd I mean refuse as in say they are too busy and just walk off. I reckon if you dont look like you;re about to spend a sh*t load of money, then you;re not worth their time.

On the other hand though, I wouldnt get too stressed, as this is really part of the fun of buying a second hand car in this fine country, and I be rather surprised if it DIDNT happen. Doesnt justify it, but it should be half expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

unprofessional by the salesman but consulting your solicitor? in all fairness thats ridiculous, go elsewhere,blacken the company's name, get over it :rolleyes:

tippbhoy wrote:
    unprofessional by the salesman but consulting your solicitor? in all fairness thats ridiculous

i put that down as i have said already to invoke a response, as i believe customer complaints in this country dont really count for much.

If i was seriuos about consulting a solicitor I would have done so and not posted this on a forum. Im lnot ooking for an apology, just a reason from the salesman. If someone refuese anyone anything would they not want to know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Tbh I think putting in the line about a solicitor reduced any effectiveness of your email as did the one day time limit. Standard would be 14 days. Too bad afterall if the recipient of the email doesn't read it, for whatever reason, within the limit.

It's a valid complaint but I dont really expect you'll get any sort of response. I would have asked to speak to the manager then and there and if they weren't available I would have asked for their direct dial and called them when they were expected in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Perfectly acceptable complaint. I do feel the email was poorly constructed, see post above, also there are grammatical and spelling mistakes (if I am not mistaken).

I would have been as brief as possible and removed any threats - just expressed my disappointment.

I also wouldn't expect too much, unfortunately this kind of sh!t happens day in day out in this country - which is a shame.

Chin up and don't let it put you in a bad mood for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

doc71 wrote:
    i put that down as i have said already to invoke a response, as i believe customer complaints in this country dont really count for much.

If i was seriuos about consulting a solicitor I would have done so and not posted this on a forum. Im lnot ooking for an apology, just a reason from the salesman. If someone refuese anyone anything would they not want to know why?

Point noted. I would imagine the salesman reckoned you were a time waster, most people have a good idea what they want before going to a garage. still no excuse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Are ELM motors official dealerships of both Volvo and Mitsubishi or are the just a used car dealership ? If they're not official Vovlvo dealerships there's not point in complaining to Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

If its Elm limerick, they are volvo and mitsubishi dealers.

If it was me, i would have looked for the manager there and then and demanded an explanation as to why his salesman was so rude to both yourself and your wife.

If after that you got no joy, take a few days off work and make a big sign about how poor there salesteam are and plant yourself outside the place ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

doc71 wrote:
    thanks for the replies, i had sent tothe mitsubishi ireland also and they didnt reply I m sending volvo now. It may seem petty to some but they way we were made feel i cant let it go

In fairness you said in your letter if they didn't reply in one day you would take it further, now maybe it's just where I live, but it takes longer than one day for post to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 floss992

lesman came out and couldn't do enough for me....took me out back bumpy roads....smooth roads ....turning circle of the car.. he spent an hour and a half with me as well as talking with other customers... plus he was 1000 euro's cheeper than the rest ,walked out of there a very satasfied customer...rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

If it is a proper Volvo dealership dont let this put you off, I drive one and have always found them very decent (Köping Dealer), even when I go in just to look at the newer models with no intention of spending any money. ;)

Let us know how you get on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

If it is a proper Volvo dealership dont let this put you off, I drive one and have always found them very decent (Köping Dealer), even when I go in just to look at the newer models with no intention of spending any money. ;)

Let us know how you get on anyway.

You're about 8 months late...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Ha right you are.. typical..

was doing a google search when i came across doc ranting about elm motors ...i to hav gone in2 elm motors and found them very unhelpfull........ thats why i'm 8 mths L8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

floss992 wrote: »
    was doing a google search when i came across doc ranting about elm motors ...i to hav gone in2 elm motors and found them very unhelpfull........ thats why i'm 8 mths L8

This is GREAT!

You found them very unhelpful yet your first post is praising the company??

Tell the truth you floss992, you work for the company in question! The fact that you dug up an out of date post to praise the company when its been slanted AGES ago shows you up.

Ha!

you walked out of there a very satasfied customer then say they were very unhelpful :confused::confused:

no IDEO only half of that mail came up on screen....... i was praising hayes garage in Ennis, not Elm motors.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b21

I have a letter from Volvo that Elm Motors have lost the Volvo dealership after 27 years. They continue to be a service centre.

Their website presently has new Volvos for sale, 6 weeks after losing the franchise. I heard they lost the Mitsubishi dealership also, but I don't have written confirmation of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not surprised at all, if they were going to be like that at the peak of the boom , no way they were going to survive a recession

Advertisement