Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed - choosing a car kit

• 30-03-2007 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a Nokia 6233 and Im looking at getting a car kit in my Toyota.

I'm not sure whether to go down the route of bluetooth without a cradle which I assume could be dangerous on the road if I need to make a call, or to just pay up and have a standard one installed.

Here's one I'm looking at also.. Nokia CK7W Bluetooth

The only thing with that one is it has an external speaker.. so Im presuming it wont work through the radio speakers. Im after one that does.

Has anyone any good advice? Im in the Waterford area just in case anyone has dealt with people here before.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Trotter wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to go down the route of bluetooth without a cradle which I assume could be dangerous on the road if I need to make a call, or to just pay up and have a standard one installed.

The only thing with that one is it has an external speaker.. so Im presuming it wont work through the radio speakers. Im after one that does.

Has anyone any good advice? Im in the Waterford area just in case anyone has dealt with people here before.

Thanks!

Look at the Parrot CK3100 and 3200LS

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd
    http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/3200ls-color

I have had a CK3100 and it works really well plus uses the car's speakers.

It's bluetooth, has built-in voice control, and and LCD with dialling control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

skearon wrote:
    Look at the Parrot CK3100 and 3200LS

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd
    http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/3200ls-color

I have had a CK3100 and it works really well plus uses the car's speakers.

It's bluetooth, has built-in voice control, and and LCD with dialling control

Cool.. the 3100 is the other one I was looking at. Can the wire to the microphone be hidden easily and is the screen easy to mount?

Also.. I've a toyota so the radio is built into the moulded centre console. I think I'll try get a pro to install it. Would you recommend that? I wouldnt trust myself to dismantle the radio in a new car.. I'd mess it up.

Did you buy yours in a shop or on the net? The net seems to be way cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

All the Nokia kits including the CK7W can be installed to use the car speakers. You need something called a mute kit to do it. Any installer will be able to sort that out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Trotter wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks!

I'd just go with the Nokia and get someone to install it. I have a Corolla and it was messy to get it installed. I didn't do it but I was with him when he did it. Practically had to take half the dashboard apart to get it fitted!!

Great kit though. No problems. Using it with the 6233 also. Cost me 229 with installation.

chrislad wrote:
    I'd just go with the Nokia and get someone to install it. I have a Corolla and it was messy to get it installed. I didn't do it but I was with him when he did it. Practically had to take half the dashboard apart to get it fitted!!

Great kit though. No problems. Using it with the 6233 also. Cost me 229 with installation.

Thats good, I'd prefer the nokia one if it can use the car speakers. Who did it for you?

• Advertisement

I just got it though my local Nokia Service Center. Think it was installed by a company called Kube.

Also, if you don't need the cradle, you can save yourself around 40 on that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Trotter wrote:
    Cool.. the 3100 is the other one I was looking at. Can the wire to the microphone be hidden easily and is the screen easy to mount?

Also.. I've a toyota so the radio is built into the moulded centre console. I think I'll try get a pro to install it. Would you recommend that? I wouldnt trust myself to dismantle the radio in a new car.. I'd mess it up.

Did you buy yours in a shop or on the net? The net seems to be way cheaper.

I did the installation myself in a Volvo V40, the Parrot includes the cables that plug into an ISO radio and then the kit plugs into the car

Also unlike the CK7W the Parrot's have LCDs that allow you to see the number and with the 3200 the face of the person calling you.

I bought mine off eBay but since then everyone in my office got one as we located a trade supplier of them

If I got the CK7W, I'd have to buy a cradle separately wouldnt I?

I think that one might be neater than the parrot because I could just stick the phone in the cradle and charge it up if I wanted.

The car is very small (an aygo) so Im not sure about having a screen on the dashboard.. Its a very small dashboard!

The more I think about it, Im leaning towards the CK7W with a cradle. Hopefully I can get all that for under €250 including install.

Squeezing the button and the cradle in will be an achievement!

05-int.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

There are loads of ck-7w on ebay, about €70 ish. Installation is very easy. Most installers should be able to do it in under 20 minutes including routing it through the speakers.

I fitted mine in half an hour...

(The button would go nicely by your cupholders, with the wire coming ou of the gearshift gaiter on your car ;) )

• Advertisement

Jam Man wrote:
    There are loads of ck-7w on ebay, about €70 ish. Installation is very easy. Most installers should be able to do it in under 20 minutes including routing it through the speakers.

I fitted mine in half an hour...

(The button would go nicely by your cupholders, with the wire coming ou of the gearshift gaiter on your car ;) )

Does it come with any kind of cradle? I rang the local fella that does all these things and he told me not to touch the Nokia one with a barge pole. Im more interested in having a cradle than having the bluetooth option so he recommended some sort of german kit he has that he swears by. €280 including cradle and install for that one.

Carphone warehouse will do the CK7W for 260 including install.

Im confused!!!!!! :confused: Is the CK7W as bad as he said?

K.. Decision made.

Im going with this one.. Bury Car Kit ...€280 installed. I decided not to go with bluetooth because this one should be very neat and comes with a cradle too.

Thanks for all the help!

D'oh

Cradle is pretty pointless - bluetooth takes over the connection side of things and you can get a charger for the lighter socket if you really want to keep topping up your battery and therefore shorten it's life.

Plus the bluetooth will work with your next phone...

If you just want a cradle to hold your phone they're about €10

K, the gear is installed and looks very neat and does the job well. Theres a slight problem that the more techie minded people here might be able to help me sort.

When the call starts to dial, the radio shuts off.. perfect.. but theres a slight ticking in the radio speakers very similar to the noise from an electric fence.. basically an electric pulse noise.

Could this be because the phone is charging in the cradle? Maybe it'll stop once the phone is fully charged.

Cheers,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 49 steinberger

it's either a faulty cradle or dirty connections..get a toothbrush and some methylated spirits (not too much) and clean the phone and cradle connections and see if it sorts it.i have got loads of new kits with that problem but when you clean them they work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vink

Trotter wrote:
    Thats good, I'd prefer the nokia one if it can use the car speakers. Who did it for you?

Trotter,
    The Nokia 6233 has a cradle ( CR-56) it is better connected through the cradle as I find the bluetooth has alot of interference.

Trotter wrote:
    K, the gear is installed and looks very neat and does the job well. Theres a slight problem that the more techie minded people here might be able to help me sort.

When the call starts to dial, the radio shuts off.. perfect.. but theres a slight ticking in the radio speakers very similar to the noise from an electric fence.. basically an electric pulse noise.

Could this be because the phone is charging in the cradle? Maybe it'll stop once the phone is fully charged.

Cheers,
    T

A couple of things would cause this:

If the power lead to the car kit is close to the signal lead and is not very well insulated then you will get this interference, also if your car is quite old you may need an inline suppressor on the power lead. Very sheap and easy to fit....

Post this on Expansys forum though and I bet someone will have the right answer for you straight away....

Advertisement