Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prem Weekend Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal's problem is that they've only got 2 players who can score goals. Henry & Van Persie. Both have had stop start seasons (more stop than start) and Henry's underperformed. Adebayor can get the odd goal but he's not good enough to lead line like he's being asked to do at the moment.

No goals from midfield at all, pretty damn poor. Champions league qualification is far from guaranteed with the lack of goals in the team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:
    No, I went to watch the match and then had to go out after it. Thanks for your concern though. May I also just remind you of something...

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2237692.ece

At least Rovers managed to get a goal and make a match of it at some point. As well as not losing 4-0 in front of their own fans. There's your ;) right back...

Thats funny, cos when I checked your user cp before I posted it showed your last activity at just before 5pm...around the time you'd conceded goal #4...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

So pedantic. :rolleyes:

Yes Blackburn were the better team in the 1st half and no i don't believe they didn't turn up in the 2nd half either.United in the 2nd half were amazing attacking wise.They kept blackburn under pressure only attacking football orienitated teams can aspire to.Constant pressure leads to mistakes and United capitilised on a few.Going forward in that 2nd half was a joy to watch as a football fan because there are not a lot of teams who can sustain that kind of pressure on opposing teams sadly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal's problem is that they've only got 2 players who can score goals. Henry & Van Persie. Both have had stop start seasons (more stop than start) and Henry's underperformed. Adebayor can get the odd goal but he's not good enough to lead line like he's being asked to do at the moment.

No goals from midfield at all, pretty damn poor. Champions league qualification is far from guaranteed with the lack of goals in the team at the moment.
    Actually I thought Adebayor was the only one who acquitted himself well yesterday, he had **** all supply but was still could have had a couple and caused Carragher problems all game.

Such a bad performance everywhere else though. Arsenal need 4 strikers. Henry, Van Persie and Adebayor are 3. Aliadiere and Baptista don't count and should be let go in the summer. Is Bendtner the 4th? Dunno.

The team is very well stocked in the centre of midfield, but on the wings? Why was Diaby playing there instead of Freddie or Rosicky? On that subject, Freddie should be no more than 4th choice ideally and a top quality player should be brought in to compete with Hleb and Rosicky for a place. Hleb has been in sh1te form since January but there's nobody to take his place, so he keeps getting his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's something that midfielders add to their game over time.
    Fabregas for example, will start to add more goals to his game.

Arsenal are still a very young team, but I think they won't do it next season, but the following.
    To win the premiership you need the right blend of experience and youth, Arsenal don't have that currently.

That said, the team I always fear most at the start of a season, besides Chelsea, is Arsenal. Wenger is a winner.

p.s. I think Adebayor was pretty good yesterday, could easily have had two. If he can continue to develop, he will be the player Arsenal have always needed ever since Wenger took over. A tall, strong, technical, striker who can get ugly goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Richard Dunne was excellent again yesterday. Should certainly be contender for premiership team of the season. I wouldn't be suprised if one of the top teams put a bid in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

eirebhoy wrote:
    Richard Dunne was excellent again yesterday. Should certainly be contender for premiership team of the season. I wouldn't be suprised if one of the top teams put a bid in for him.

How old is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fade2black wrote:
    How old is he?

Without checking I'd have a guess at 26-27.

Edit, woo-hoo, 27. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Peno to spurs

decent game so far reading catching spurs on break and spurs very weak in the middle.

kdjac

Keane scores peno

1-0

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

KdjaCL wrote:
    Peno to spurs

decent game so far reading catching spurs on break and spurs very weak in the middle.

kdjac

Whos been the better team kdjaCL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Should it have been a penalty? Don't think he had a chance really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Anyone else think Mourinho's demeanour was a bit odd yesterday?

It almost appeared as though he didnt care too much about the outcome of the match. Despite it being a crucial and dodgy looking match, he seemed to be enjoying a bit of banter with Boothroyd and he wasn't his usual animated self on the sidelines.

Also when the goal went in so far into injury-time I was expecting a typical Mourinho over-the-top celebration. Instead it was a rather restrained stroll down the sideline waving his hand around.

Maybe its just me but I thought he wasn't his usual self yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maureen is proberly loosening up as he looks forwards to life after Chelsea.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

mike65 wrote:
    Lemlin I'll not rise to it.

Mike.

Good stuff. Because, let's face it, the eleven headless chickens you support haven't beaten the team you call eleven headless chickens all season. Maybe you won't rise to it because you've no answer to it.

Thats funny, cos when I checked your user cp before I posted it showed your last activity at just before 5pm...around the time you'd conceded goal #4...

Your post above tells me two things:

1. I probably shouldn't leave the PC on and then return to just switch it off. It's a terrible waste of power and we do need to reduce, reuse and recycle these days.

2. You've far too much time on your hands.

Yes, I was peeved off and so headed out without posting.

Just like the day you were peeved off when Spurs threw away a perfectly good lead against a patched up Newcastle team and had a go when I said Martins scored a great goal. Its called frustration and plenty of football supporters suffer from it.

The fact is United were the better team and made bits of Blackburn in the second half. I didn't expect Blackburn to win but, after the first half, I hoped Rovers would be able to hold out for a draw.

They weren't able to though and United overpowered them. They're not the first team United have done this to(as my link above shows) and they won't be the last.

Continue with your cheap shots though. Please do. I'm enjoying them.

And have a read of this while you're at it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Cup_Final_2002

Then you can remember all the trophies Spurs have won in the last ten years...

Maybe you could refresh my memory though because I'm drawing a blank ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Those were the good old days eh, when the league cup didn't matter :)

Lemon wrote:
    Your post above tells me two things:

It should have told you one thing old chap...don't count your chickens before they've hatched...

You didn't post because you went off to watch the match? Did you keep taking breaks to post during the first 60 minutes? You seemed much more chatty before you squandered the 1-0 lead.
    Lemon wrote:
    Then you can remember all the trophies Spurs have won in the last ten years...

Same number as Blackeye Rovers chum, although I suppose its understandable that you'd block out the year 1999 seeing as you lot went down that May.

Glad I could be of entertainment, I'd a good chuckle at your expense yesterday with another friend of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lemlin wrote:
    Good stuff. Because, let's face it, the eleven headless chickens you support haven't beaten the team you call eleven headless chickens all season. Maybe you won't rise to it because you've no answer to it.

I think he just meant that blackburn looked headless at that particular time in that particular match, which they kinda did with man u running rampent over them.

A load of other people made very similer comments about how blackburn barely turned up for the second half, dont see how that one was any different..or how it had anything to do with liverpool...

nearly every team gets taken apart at some point in the season, Man U being the only prem exception really this year, even chelsea were dominated by liverpool and were lucky not to concede an embaressing amount. Similerly Liverpool looked a right pathetic mess when Baptista got his 4 in January.

Rebel thats the answer I needed someone to post! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

It should have told you one thing old chap...don't count your chickens before they've hatched...

You didn't post because you went off to watch the match? Did you keep taking breaks to post during the first 60 minutes? You seemed much more chatty before you squandered the 1-0 lead.

Same number as Blackeye Rovers chum, although I suppose its understandable that you'd block out the year 1999 seeing as you lot went down that May.

Glad I could be of entertainment, I'd a good chuckle at your expense yesterday with another friend of yours.

Yes, is it not natural for a supporter to be disappointed when his team are losing? If you read back over my posts (which you don't seem to have), you'll see that I was never confident of Blackburn winning and always said United would score.

Okay so, maybe I should change that to eleven years :) Does that 2001 loss really annoy you that much that you have to be so negative towards Blackburn? Last season you labelled them as a group of thugs until you saw that they were one place behind Tottenham in the league and suddenly they were a decent footballing side again. That said, you did list the 2001 final as one of your club's darkest moments on another thread here. I remember reading it with great delight :)

I seriously doubt you know any of my friends. You may see people that post on an internet messageboard as friends, I don't. I love the way you try to pull at my emotions though ;) you could have really hurt my feelings.

That is honestly one of the worst slaggings I've ever had the displeasure of reading though. Between that and checking user cp's.... well, I'll just leave it at that TBH.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I think he just meant that blackburn looked headless at that particular time in that particular match, which they kinda did with man u running rampent over them.

A load of other people made very similer comments about how blackburn barely turned up for the second half, dont see how that one was any different..or how it had anything to do with liverpool...

nearly every team gets taken apart at some point in the season, Man U being the only prem exception really this year, even chelsea were dominated by liverpool and were lucky not to concede an embaressing amount. Similerly Liverpool looked a right pathetic mess when Baptista got his 4 in January.

Did anyone else on the board refer to Blackburn as "headless chickens"? That's what I took exception to and I'm only too sure what would happen if I labelled Liverpool "headless chickens" on this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lemlin wrote:
    Did anyone else on the board refer to Blackburn as "headless chickens"? That's what I took exception to and I'm only too sure what would happen if I labelled Liverpool "headless chickens" on this board.

You mean like Liverpool were the three other times they met Arsenal this season?

Lemon wrote:
    Okay so, maybe I should change that to eleven years :) Does that 2001 loss really annoy you that much that you have to be so negative towards Blackburn? Last season you labelled them as a group of thugs until you saw that they were one place behind Tottenham in the league and suddenly they were a decent footballing side again. That said, you did list the 2001 final as one of your club's darkest moments on another thread here. I remember reading it with great delight :)

Wasn't it you who said we shouldn't drag up old disagreements?

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with Tottenham old chap, think you should leave it there TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lemlin wrote:

erm... you just did there earlier...
    Lemlin wrote:
    11 headless chickens???

When exactly did the 11 headless chickens you support beat them this season?

Am i missing something? has comparing a team that look at 6's and 7's (never understood the meaning behind that phrase, can anyone explain?!) at that particular moment to a group of headless chickens suddenly become offensive? If you had posted during the liverpool Arsenal Baptista game that liverpool looked like headless chickens i'd have agreed wholeheartedly and probably thrown in a few bad comments myself!

I dunno its a crazy world we live in alright, but i would have always considered "they look like headless chickens searching for a football" while in the middle of a (particularly quality) rout to be pretty tame.. not exactly personal abuse or ott for the situation or anything..

..i quite like chickens..beheaded or not..

i believe now is an appropriate time to remember our dearly departed friend, ironically named "Mike the Headless Chicken" (true story)
    http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont mind lemlin.

he gets all upset when his team loses and then insluts everyone else.

then he goes on to say that his team doesnt spend any money and how well they compete, compared to everyone else who apparently spend 50 million a year (*cough* didnt mind buying the league in 95 did you *cough*).

and then he drags it down to the personal insults, and continues to bring up the one game where blackburn won agame.

but hey, you had your go in europe. you had a good run, now ease back there into mid table mediocrity.

by the way, i see benni mcarthy said he wanted to play for utd. i guess a lot of players see blackburn as a spring board for better things in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh, good win for spurs this weekend too. went down to the lane to watch it.
    was marvelously good fun. great atmosphere and lots of beer.

Wasn't it you who said we shouldn't drag up old disagreements?

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with Tottenham old chap, think you should leave it there TBH.

Yep, and wasn't it you who started a new disagreement just above quite purposefully? Going to deny it now are you?

I have no problem with Spurs at all.

Why even choose to bring when I stopped posting into the argument though? Other than goad me? Are you going to try and deny that's the reaction you wanted?

You also had a go when I said Martins scored a great goal a month or two back? Do you see me taking into any United supports who said Scholes scored a cracker?

I think we can see who has the unhealthy obsession here trying to goad another user.
    dont mind lemlin.

he gets all upset when his team loses and then insluts everyone else.

then he goes on to say that his team doesnt spend any money and how well they compete, compared to everyone else who apparently spend 50 million a year (*cough* didnt mind buying the league in 95 did you *cough*).

and then he drags it down to the personal insults, and continues to bring up the one game where blackburn won agame.

but hey, you had your go in europe. you had a good run, now ease back there into mid table mediocrity.

by the way, i see benni mcarthy said he wanted to play for utd. i guess a lot of players see blackburn as a spring board for better things in the EPL.

Oooh look, here comes the cavalry :)

I have no problem with Blackburn losing whatsoever. Have I criticsed any United supporters for saying how great United played etc.? No, I have not. I wasn't happy about the fact that the team were outclassed but I certainly haven't made posts against any United supporters.

It was therecklessone who dragged any personal argument into this. Not me. So get your facts straight. Even if you are hugely biased in this argument. As I've pointed out above, why even choose to mention my name? Do I come on here and post about him every time Spurs lose a game?

Ah right, sure maybe Benni wants to follow in the footsteps of Spurs players like Michael Carrick :D What exactly did he see Spurs as then? Don't be getting delusions of grandeur just yet Whitewashman (ooh, I hate to point it out but me thinks I got you with a right good kick in the balls there).

Spurs are still exactly where Blackburn and about ten other Premiership clubs are - scrapping for the highest place outside the top four. That's what MGP realised and why he chose to stay exactly where he was.

And yes, I am proud that Blackburn have got their spending about 50 million less. And yes, I do still think that Martin Jol should be doing alot better job than he has with the money he has been given.

When have I continually brought up the 2001 final? I did it in this thread to annoy therecklessone, just as he posted in the first place to annoy me. I have no problem admitting that. Although I'm sure he'll deny that now and want us to settle it like great old chaps so he still looks great to his mates on here.
    oh, good win for spurs this weekend too. went down to the lane to watch it.
    was marvelously good fun. great atmosphere and lots of beer.

I'm glad you got time off from your hockey to go. Usually you don't even tend to watch Spurs games from a few threads I recall on here.

And I love the way you post about me first and then going to the game, shows where your priorities lie.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    erm... you just did there earlier...

Am i missing something? has comparing a team that look at 6's and 7's (never understood the meaning behind that phrase, can anyone explain?!) at that particular moment to a group of headless chickens suddenly become offensive? If you had posted during the liverpool Arsenal Baptista game that liverpool looked like headless chickens i'd have agreed wholeheartedly and probably thrown in a few bad comments myself!

I dunno its a crazy world we live in alright, but i would have always considered "they look like headless chickens searching for a football" while in the middle of a (particularly quality) rout to be pretty tame.. not exactly personal abuse or ott for the situation or anything..

..i quite like chickens..beheaded or not..

i believe now is an appropriate time to remember our dearly departed friend, ironically named "Mike the Headless Chicken" (true story)
    http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/index.html

Only after the Liverpool supporter had called Blackburn "headless chickens". If someone came onto this board and called Liverpool "headless chickens" like that, they'd be banned straight away.

If anyone got banned for posting "headless chickens" we might as well all go home (so to speak).

6s and 7s

Mike.

Jesus christ.

So we all in agreement then :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'd hate to see you moderate. I don't think anyone would be banned for saying a team played like headless chickens.

I might ban someone for acting like a total spa though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement