Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Wireless With Neighbour

• 30-03-2007 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've a neighbour who cannot get wireless as they don't have line of sight and there's no other way of getting broadband bar very expensive satellite offerings.

I tested a usb wireless adapter I have in their computer to see if it picked up my own wireless network but no signal.

The houses here are old stone built construction with walls about a metre thick which is probably the main reason.
    Surprised nothing leaked through the windows though.
    They are about 50 meters away from me with another small house in between.

Would there be any point in getting something like the Hawking Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna and putting it in their windows sill upstairs. I'll put my wireless router upstairs also so only roof's rather than walls to cut through (building between us is single story).

Waste of time or worth trying?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The problem with going about it that way is that maybe the USB adaptor might see your router , it probably won't "see" the USB adaptor .
    Cheap way out of it is get a usb extension cable and put the adaptor out on the roof (in waterproof box etc). Get an AP for your end and do the same.I wouldn't guarantee it will work/stay working for over 6 months .

What I do know for sure will work would be a tiny bit of overkill but will Just Work as opposed to might/should/will/for a while . You could also let a few other similarly deprived neighbours join the party too.

Advertisement