Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for Rural Ireland

Options
  • 30-03-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Combine this and the travelling bank and travelling Library.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6506193.stm

In Co. Clare in late 1980s we did get a travelling bank and travelling Library.

In our Co. Limerick village we have to drive the 8km as bus service is poor and use the facilities near city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Christ's sake watty remove it immediately incase some on in the DCMNR sees it. They'd have to adopt it you know, as anything third world seems to be the way Fianna Fail are going, third world health care, third world roads, third world broadband etc.

I wonder did the current cabinet member emerge through a hidden time machine from 1850 when Ireland was a "third world country" we are a first world country with third world facilities. Then again I am wondering third world countries usually seem to have corrupt dictating leaders who stifle democracy.... nah that could never happen here nor would our leader take loans or bribes........ Oh no maybe we are a third world country after all :eek: Bertie Mugabe anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Nice find Watty , i got bored there this evening and put a box together for the craic out of a few bits n pieces. I was surprised how well it works. I'll get someone to take a few proper pics tomorrow and email them to the appropriate people, i'm sure they'd be thrilled that this box is < 200euro new ( and solid , i pulled the power loads of times in the middle of updates)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ping time could be pretty bad though if you've to wait until the bus returns ;)

For emails it sounds dead handy - if you weren't worried about confidential stuff.

If there was some sort of central site that weighted requests you could have the most popular pages requested by other buses sent to the next one.
    "They want to know the cricket scores, they want to see the new Aishwarya Rai photos, and they want to hear a sample of the latest Bollywood tunes."

You get a local authority to sponsor it, caching their entire site on the bus - same for the government sites. Advertisers could also sponsor it.

I was thinking Dublin bus could do the same thing with wifi at some bus stops, page requests would be waiting at the next wifi bus stop and passing buses could see if they have anything in each others cache so you might not have to wait for the next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course in Finland, Digita has fitted a bunch of Nokia WiFi Internet tablets in the buses and these connect live + GPS to the Internet via Mobile 4G.

Advertisement