Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in Dublin

Options
  • 30-03-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey i could be moving from Belfast to Dublin soon .. if i accept a job offer .. if i do get it , they will prob give me between two weeks to a months notice on when i have to start ..
    i dont know many people down there so i will have to find my own place ... is it easy to find somewhere quickly in Dublin ? ..
    i m new to Dublin & new to renting, so if i was to look really hard and wouldnt care much about where i stay at first .. what is the possbilty of me finding somewhere , even sharing or whatever at short notice ??? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Your best bet is to have a look at letting sites.

www.mylet.ie and www.daft.ie.
    Dublin is oftern a lot bigger then people think so take the time and use either google maps or the www.dto.ie map to see if there are place close to were you live and www.dublinbus.ie to see if there are buses near by to get you to and from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

aye i know i ve been before .. but if im told for exsample .. i have to start work 03/05 whats the chance of been able to move in somewhere straight away ?? or do you normally have to wait about a month for the old people to move out ?.. in other words , if i have to go there 03/03 should i start looking now or later for somewhere ? im just concerned about this as i dont have any relatives/friends to stay with when i come down ,, is it normal to find a already vacant place ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

you should have no probs getting somewhere relatively quick. Bare in mind that your prospective landlord will want employer and previous landlord references so have them handy. Where in dublin will you be working? Will you be taking public transport or driving? Dublin is a nightmare to get around in but if you are on the luas or dart line then it helps

i never rented before actully .. getting things from work though will be no prob .. so wont have a reference from another landlord

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hel_hev wrote:
    i never rented before actully .. getting things from work though will be no prob .. so wont have a reference from another landlord

get your employer to include a character reference too so.

Are you planning on renting alone or sharing? For sharing www.daft.ie can also help you.

If looking to rent alone then a 2 bed appt can cost anything between €1200 to €1700 depending on size, location etc. 1 beds are harder to come across.

YOur landlord will want a deposit and 1 months rent upfront. deposit usually amounts to same as 1 months rent.

• Advertisement

ah yeah i know all that , was just worried that if i m starting a job start of may , and i m moving down to dublin on my own ,, maybe id have trouble finding a place to live within to weeks ... dont want to be on d streets !!
    thats all thanks :)

hel_hev wrote:
    ah yeah i know all that , was just worried that if i m starting a job start of may , and i m moving down to dublin on my own ,, maybe id have trouble finding a place to live within to weeks ... dont want to be on d streets !!
    thats all thanks :)

start doing your searches now so! :)

i am :) , was just afraid the estate agents or landlords would laugh at me expecting to move in within two weeks .. was just checking if its normal for people to want somewhere quick.

hel_hev wrote:
    i am :) , was just afraid the estate agents or landlords would laugh at me expecting to move in within two weeks .. was just checking if its normal for people to want somewhere quick.

To be on the safe side i would allow 2 weeks minimum for finding a place.

Advertisement