Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good article on organisations

• 30-03-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

There are four major sanctioning bodies and 17 weight classes. That adds up to a lot of boxers who can claim to be a champion. It is almost impossible to memorize all of the title claimants. And even if one attempts to, by the time they are finished, one of the organizations would likely have stripped one of their champions. But despite their shortcomings, the alphabet groups are not killing the sport. In fact, they are good for the sport.

Doug Dewitt once said that when the WBO first came onto the scene, he just shrugged his shoulders. But when he fought for and won the WBO middleweight title, he thought it was the greatest thing in the world. His sentiment is shared by many boxers. Ricky Hatton has said that he likes “collecting” title belts. For a fighter, belts are like badges to a soldier. They represent accomplishment. Along with recognition, they also come with the potential to earn bigger purses. Because of all of these organizations, more boxers have the potential to make a better living. After winning one of the major title belts, greater exposure and media coverage follow. That added boost in publicity increases a fighter’s profile and puts him in a position to compete against the best in the world.

A case in point is Luis Collazo, who was toiling in obscurity and was virtually ignored until the opportunity to fight for one the belts came along. He made the most of his opportunity, winning the WBA title, and proving to everyone that he was among the division’s elite. He says that winning the title belt not only allowed him to earn more money, it also forced other top fighters to face him; guys like Shane Mosley and Ricky Hatton who likely would not have boxed against him if no title were at stake.

Boxing’s Mr. Everything man, Johnny Bos, says that because of the multiple belts, “You don’t have fighters being shut out.” Multiple titles prevent promoters and managers from monopolizing the throne. Because of the increased options, situations like those that affected Charley Burley and Bert Lytell are avoided. Burley and Lytell were leading contenders for many years but were denied title shots because the champions refused to fight them. Jake LaMotta was forced to take a dive in exchange for a crack at the title. Jesus Pimentel was avoided during his peak years and only received a title shot after he showed signs of winding down. Having more titles available has virtually eliminated these situations. It is difficult to cite a similar case within the past decade. But boxers are not the only ones who stand to benefit from the multiple organizations; the sport’s survival may be dependant on them.

“Boxing needs them,” says promoter Dan Goossen of GoossenTutor Promotions. “If run properly, they are great for boxing.” Fightbeat’s own Jake Donovan, who has promoted boxing shows, says that the sanctioning organizations serve as marketing tools and help to promote fights and fighters. Television networks are much more likely to televise a fight if a title is attached to it. With more networks around and with boxing competing for air time with other sports, demand for championship bouts has increased. “It’s what everyone wants,” says Dan Goossen. “Look at baseball, they added divisions.” Goossen’s point is an important one. Just like boxing has added some divisions and titles, MLB has also added expansion teams and increased the amount of playoff games—most would argue it has served as a boon to the sport. Other sports have done the same as well. And it’s not limited to just the sporting world. The entertainment business has done the same. Try keeping track of all of the awards and titles given out each year in the film and TV industries. I get confused between Academy Awards, Emmys, Daytime Emmys, Golden Globes, MTV Movie Awards, Independent Spirit Awards, etc. But I still watch movies. The music industry is no different. You’ve got the Grammies, AMA’s, CMA’s, BMA’s, platinum and double platinum…. But I still listen to music. (And clearly the industry wouldn’t have these disparate awards if they didn’t, ultimately, facilitate in moving product.) And so, despite all of the titles and divisions that exist, I still watch boxing.

Of course, the sanctioning groups are, to put it mildly, far from perfect. Johnny Bos says three organizations are all we should have. “And let’s get rid of all these ‘super’ and ‘regular’ and ‘interim’ titles,” he says. But whether it’s three or four, “let’s have someone, a commission that they have to answer to instead of answering to themselves and doing whatever they want to do. And charge them a fee for the privilege to operate here.” Jake Donovan says that their big problem “comes when they abandon their policies, which more often than not, is done so on a whim.” That they exist is not hurting boxing. That they exist without regulation can be a problem. Some of their actions have been, at best, suspicious. At worst they have been scandalous. Scandals, bribes, and corruption are not unique to boxing. It exists everywhere from school yards to court rooms. The most reasonable course of action is to find a way to eliminate corruption and let the organizations stay. “As long as they are not deliberately doing harm,” says Dan Goossen, “they are great for boxing. In fact, boxing needs them.”

Not only does boxing need them, they have always had them. Multiple titles have always been a part of boxing. Open any record book, from the Ring Record Book to the old Post and Everlast Record Books, and you will find the records of boxers filled with terms like junior lightweight, junior featherweight, and championships with all kinds of names and acronyms. And I’m not referring to the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO. Or recent history, say, the 1980s onward. In 1900, the ‘20s and the ‘30s, there were sanctioning bodies called the NBA, NYSAC and IBU giving out major title belts. Throw in several other state commissions in the U.S. who recognized “world” champions like California, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Michigan, and Louisiana, as they all recognized and crowned champions from time to time. So did other countries such as Great Britain, Canada, and Australia. Surprisingly, in 1928 there were five different entities recognizing champions in the flyweight division alone. It may also surprise you to learn that for only two years in history did we ever have just eight divisions and eight champions. It was only so during 1948 and 1958. In every other year there was either a junior division or a split title in at least one of the divisions. Multiple organizations and junior divisions have always been around, and boxing has survived. Only the acronyms have changed.
    Personally, I won’t miss them if they left. But if the alphabets stay, I know they won’t spell the demise of boxing. They didn’t before and they won’t now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭henryb

enjoyed that. Interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭henryb

As you all know the big fight is coming up shortly and im really
    looking forward to it, as im sure everybody on this forum is.
    My own take on it is that it might be one fight to many for
    oscar, but hopefully im proven wrong.
    While i know mayweather is probably rated pound/pound
    the best in the world at the min and maybe rightly so, as
    his record is immpecable he just doesnt excite me like
    so many other great champs, present and past have done.
    Would any body else here share my views?

Advertisement