Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young (23) provisional driver wants sporty 1.6-1.8 car

Options
  • 30-03-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've recently got a provisional license and won some money playing poker that I want to purchase a car with.

My budget is 10k for car and insurance, I'll deal with tax and running costs separately.

I really want a sporty coupe that’s nippy enough but can’t go over 1.8 because of my age/license, I love the Mitsubishi FTO and this would be my top choice but I don’t think I can get the car and insurance for 10k.

I’m basically looking for your feedback on viability for me getting this type of car considering my license and age, alternatives to the FTO, whether the FTO is viable and whether I'm just plain mad!

I know there’s a school of thought that says you should start small and work up but if I can get away with not doing it I want to.

I haven’t really thought this through and want to move fast. Feedback appreciated.

Regards,
    Wisesmurf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

with a prov licence you will never get insured on a fto of any kind for starters, as for other cars in the 1.8litre range id be surprised if you would get a quote with your licence......

even with a full licence at 23 premuims on a 1.8 litre sports car would be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It will cost a fortune should you be able to get anyone to insure you. Your best bet would be to buy a 3k 1 litre car, drive it for a year and get your full license, the next year a 1.8 should be alot easier on the pocket. Right now I would say if you are lucky €2500 or so for a 1.8. It makes no sense to be starting to drive in a 1.6 or 1.8, what do you need the extra power for?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

i think most insurance companys will give you flat out no but if you look around im sure you could find a company that will... i heard a lad on the radio the other week he was 22 on provisional driving an audi tt 1.8 his insurance was 6,500 so thats what your looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You might be able to insure a 1.6 hyundai coupe. (yuk imo)
    But really if you want a nice sporty car you will have to wait a year.
    With a full licence and 1 year no claims you will have no problem getting insurance on a fto. Just have patients .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

get a small run around for a year and get a full licence and some no claims bonus.....at 23 with a full licence and 2 years bonus under my own name a 2.0 litre/200bhp car costs €1500 fully comp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I want it now!! lol

I dont peticularly want a huge engine but I want a nice sporty looking car. I dont know of a small engined car that looks good. I want the car to be naturally sporty looking, I think theres nothing worse than a cheap ass car with bodykit etc.

What about 1.3- 1.4 much difference with regard to insurance? and what sort of car?

:mad:
    Wisesmurf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was in the same situation, wnated something ncie and fast and deadly but didnt want to pay crazy money.

I ended up coping on a bit and bought a 1.5 DOHC 323F (the 96-97 model) and it did me grand until i get my Altezza in the next few months after getting my full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What about one of THESE ?

1.4 ..so insurance friendly(er), reasonably sporty looking, not a bad driver at all.

peasant wrote:
    What about one of THESE ?

1.4 ..so insurance friendly(er), reasonably sporty looking, not a bad driver at all.

Thanks for the feedback. All appreciated. But christ I'm not a hairdresser.

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. All appreciated. But christ I'm not a hairdresser.

Ohhh ...and a Mitsu GTO is a "real man's" car?

Since when :D

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    Ohhh ...and a Mitsu GTO is a "real man's" car?

Since when :D

GTO is a 3L car. Quite beefy.
    I want the FTO, grant it its not gonna grow me anymore hairs on my chest but doesnt the puma come with a free waxing and manicure??

A 1.5 323F like gary had would be good for starting off, insurance should be ok on it.

Ahh shhugar ....bloody typo :D ...GTO /FTO :D

Anyway ...I was just suggesting, not trying to force it down your throat.

It's ok not to like the Puma, you're allright :D

Edit:
    Citroen Xsara VTR coupe would be too boring, would it?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=550201

I dont wish to bite the hand that feeds me..thanks for feedback but lets just say no to a puma.

Two of my mates have a 323f already, its more along the lines of what I want but I was looking for something different.

you could go a corolla g6r? i think they look well and they've decent amount of power

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=607466

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=413224

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=584948

they are a 1.6 though so insurance would be expensive but, 6 speed gearbox and sporty looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Do a search of carzone.ie for "babe magnet", you'll find what you are looking for. LOL

draffodx wrote:
    you could go a corolla g6r? i think they look well and they've decent amount of power

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=607466

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=413224

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=584948

they are a 1.6 though so insurance would be expensive but, 6 speed gearbox and sporty looking

I like this but I'll be scraping to get a decent car + insurance for 10k here. what you recon?

The corollas aren't cheap ...and the insurance might get a hickup at the "R" in the name.

THIS doesn't look too bad either, and it's a lot cheaper.

The seller is a boardsie, too

you could go for a 1.3 corolla, cheaper in terms of buying and insurance and they look well with a tte bodykit in my opinion, only problem is theres alot around with the tte kit.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=479933

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=614152

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

get an alfa. sporty looking and are very pokey. but keep a few qiud for all the things that go wrong with them. should pick a 00 for about 5 or 6k.
    great car when everything works ok :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was going to suggest the Puma as they are a cracking car, but you obviously need your car to prove your manhood :rolleyes: also the puma is a coupe so might be difficult to insure.

So another cracker is a Pug 106 gti

If you wanna look cool without making anyone think you might know anything about cars - a Tossota Glanza is an option.

Otherwise John Deer make some crackin machines - dont handle too well (not sure you care) but damn they are manly !

RobAMerc wrote:
    I was going to suggest the Puma as they are a cracking car, but you obviously need your car to prove your manhood :rolleyes: also the puma is a coupe so might be difficult to insure.

So another cracker is a Pug 106 gti

If you wanna look cool without making anyone think you might know anything about cars - a Tossota Glanza is an option.

Otherwise John Deer make some crackin machines - dont handle too well (not sure you care) but damn they are manly !

Nothing to do with my manhood thanks, I just want to like the look of my own car. Im too young to have preformance so I might as well have looks, the prob is they seem to come hand in hand.

Galanza is not an option. I hate the things; I think they are the utter embodiment of scanger!

Im still looking. Carzone keeps timing out, Is it me?

Edit: 106 gti, talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

How about this. its a 1.6 vtec sir II civic it would be about 170 bhp. 1994 106,000km going for about €6750 or a bit cheaper with bbs alloys and you'll get your insurance too. this car is absolutly mint.

Fully serviced,timing belt etc,new pads,air con removed but still have in shed
    New carbon spoiler
    New strut braces up front and back in boot and underneath
    New uprated leads
    New tenzo lowering springs
    New short shifter with type-r gear knob
    Rare S-21 gearbox with LSD(shorter ratio also),traction control
    Serviced every 5000km with honda oil filter and castrol gtx magntec,not burning a drop of oil
    Sunroof
    Call 086-37722916,very quick car

332z5hi.jpg

Maybe an import so

Toyota Cynos or Mitsubishi Mirage coupe both come with 1.3l engines so you should have no trouble with insurance.

A 1.5 mazda mx-3 is also an option but I think it's very difficult to find one here.

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Nothing to do with my manhood thanks, I just want to like the look of my own car. Im too young to have preformance so I might as well have looks, the prob is they seem to come hand in hand.

Galanza is not an option. I hate the things; I think they are the utter embodiment of scanger!

Im still looking. Carzone keeps timing out, Is it me?

Edit: 106 gti, talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing..

yeh 106gti is some car, the insurance companies know it too though!

too right on the glanza too, such muck

carzone is working alright for me

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

peasant wrote:
    170 bhp for a learner driver ?
    its still a 1.6l he was talking about getting a 1.8 first off

shanebrk wrote:
    its still a 1.6l he was talking about getting a 1.8 first off

yeh but the insurance companies know all about the civic and its power, insurance is loaded on it, as it would be on a 1.8 and it would be impossible or very very very expensive to get insured on it

I think I'm not going to get what I want at this stage. A year in a junker is destined I think and a nice car next yr. I didnt want that but needs must.

I think moral of the story is there are no gems out there that the insurance guys dont know of.

Thanks for all the replys

Deflated,
    Wisesmurf!

• Advertisement

yeh it is worth it though, i've gone from fiesta to a focus and for my next car am looking at nissan 200's, skylines, toyota celicas ss-III gt-4, Altezza's, just have to get the money over the summer and pick one :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement