Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young (23) provisional driver wants sporty 1.6-1.8 car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

shanebrk wrote:
    its still a 1.6l he was talking about getting a 1.8 first off

Alot of insurance companies base their premiums on engine bhp not just displacement. Also unfortunately when it comes to Honda Civics and young males, an insurance company's risk assesment can go through the roof.

To the OP, to be honest I think anything that looks sporty but with little or no performance could be considered a hairdresser's car or the likes. But this is only if labels like this really bother you.

I still think your best options are the likes of the Ford Puma, Hyundai Coupe or maybe a BMW E36 316i Coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bazz26 wrote:
    I still think your best options are the likes of the Ford Puma, Hyundai Coupe or maybe a BMW E36 316i Coupe.

No his best option is the conclusion he has come to. Drive a cheap slow car for a year , then get what he really wants next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Not only that but for learning to drive you are probably gonna put excessive wear on your first car until you have a few months driving under your belt and know how to look after the car properly. My 1st car was a cheap astra that I picked up for €800 and that did me grand for a year. So glad I didnt start on a more expensive car because the amount of times I knocked/dinged/banged/scratched it slightly off pillars, walls, gates etc when learning to drive was unreal. Knocked off a mirror driving too close to a wall, dented and scratched 3 panels when pulling out of my drive once. Also went a couple of weeks with NO engine water/coolant at all (was ignoring the temp gauge) until I learned how to check it. And checking oil etc - basically learning how to look after your car. On the plus side I learned from all those mistakes and haven't made a single mistake in my new car.

Anyway no-one here can make the decision only yourself but my advice would be to pick up a 96-97 1.0-1.4l max for a few hundred euros until you learn to drive/look after your car/build up no claims bonus - then start looking at the ftos, gtos, evos, celicas, skylines, mr2 etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

what about a 16 valve levin - not sure what the number of the block is but they are pokey enough without being as powerfull as their 20 valve cousin. or a honda civic coupe, the lsi version is reasonable enough to insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

there was scooby and pug baby magnets on here a while ago, should be insurance friendly also........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    there was scooby and pug baby magnets on here a while ago, should be insurance friendly also........:rolleyes:

Something tells me the OP isn't a skanger, just a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Get a 1.6 Mivec colt.
    That mivec engine is an animal.

A mate got one and was trying to tell Quinn its a mivec engine but it wasnt on their list so it went down as just a 1.6 colt, so you'll save a fortune on insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Wisesmurf wrote:
    I think I'm not going to get what I want at this stage. A year in a junker is destined I think and a nice car next yr. I didnt want that but needs must.

I think moral of the story is there are no gems out there that the insurance guys dont know of.

Thanks for all the replys

Deflated,
    Wisesmurf!

just dont blow it all playing poker in the next year:)

it'll be worth the wait-- g'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Honda Integra 1.6. Might be hard to find a clean one, but a nice black one would work, clean, and not too fast, but reliable and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Honda Integra maybe??

Could get a 98 similar to this for €6k - €7k. Agree ul be paying ridiculous insurance while your on a provisional licence. I started on a 1.3 lancer and paid €2k 3rd party for the first year.

A 1.6 or higher is not suitable if you havent passed the driving test. Regardless of how responsible you are i think a very high insurance premium is justified in cases like this.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=634015

Hibernian used to do e pre-ignition course which gave a reduction for provisional licence holders.

Also do a check and ring some numbers, just to see what kind of money ur talking for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Go for a Mazda RX-7, 1.3L.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=595699

Deadly car I think. But maybe the fact that it's only a 1.3L might not be enough to save you from the insurance companies, seeing as it's so sporty and can output so much power from a relatively small engine. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

No way should a learner driver get into an RX7, he'll wrap it round a pole! I've a '92 and its alot of power to be putting down through 2 wheels!

While I love my RX7 I'm glad I drove other cars before hand so I could make all the learner driver mistakes that most people make.

A car nobodies mentioned is the CRX Del Sol...

CRXweb.jpg

Comes in 1.5 and 1.6 SIR, the 1.5 will be insurance friendly plus you'll get the sports car look you're after. Also, you'll have the electric roof just in time for the good weather! :D

HTH,
    Kaos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

1.6 mx5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

civic sir 1.6 or Integra Sir 1.8. Two great cars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Go for a Mazda RX-7, 1.3L.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=595699

Deadly car I think. But maybe the fact that it's only a 1.3L might not be enough to save you from the insurance companies, seeing as it's so sporty and can output so much power from a relatively small engine. I dunno.

As its not a "traditional" compression, piston engine it is not considered a 1.3. Its nearer a 2.5L hence the comparatively woeful fuel comsumption.

Nice car though, if the apex seals are done correctly!

Image:Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i think people here are losing the plot, half the cars mentioned here are not suitable for a young guy on a prov licence, ffs.......
    1.8 integras, rx-7's........

road statistics hello.............!

Alot of idiots on this thread. Or are they are just taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The Rover 214 isnt too bad. Looks decent and for its engine size offers decent peformance.

Just be sure to keep an eye on the coolant level and buy a well-cared for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Im actually younger than you but still on a provisonal. I've a Levin BZ-R 20Valve insured for 3k. I had a 106 GTI before that. There's two of the quikest 1.6's you can get along with the Mivec colt. You'll get insured on all of them and they all look class if you can find minters. Saxo VTS is another option as its pretty much identical to the 106 GTI.

The 106 GTI is an unbelievable car and for say €7k you could get a 01 or 02 minter if you look hard enough

Your looking at around a 97 Levin for €7K

Don't listen to all the bull**** saying get a 1 litre - you mite aswell get a moped. get what you want. would you prefer to pay €2K insurance on a 1 litre polo or €3k for a 160Bhp coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

How about one of these. Looks the part, and apparently quite nice to drive. Gorgeous cars IMO, especially in yellow. And only in 3-door. 5-door is awful looking.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=365634

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Had a levin, lively car. Have a mitsubishi mirage (hatch 1.5l dohc) which is my current run around.

Not much done to it but they can look well..

3d1ba344.jpg?t=1175284303
    Jan2006019.jpg?t=1175284445

I'd be surprised if the mivecs aren't on any insurers listing now. Actually, the mirage coupe is a nice looking car.

astimarkr.jpg

Available as 1.3 / 1.6 and mivec I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

have you checked what your insurance would be on any of the cars mention to get a guideline figure of what insurance you can afford?

try quinn's website if you dont know any others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

bogmanfan wrote:
    How about one of these. Looks the part, and apparently quite nice to drive. Gorgeous cars IMO, especially in yellow. And only in 3-door. 5-door is awful looking.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=365634
    u serious? :eek: :confused: :eek: It doesn't even have alloy wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

has it not been scientifically proven that you cant look cool driving any car with an 'L' plate?

turning up for your test in some tricked out ****box aint gonna win you any prizes with your examiner either ;)

imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

A Honda is the way to go.

At 23 on a Provo I paid €3500 3rd party on a civic 1.4i. with 1 years NCB I managed to get it for €2700 fully comp.

Tbh non-vtec civic are prolly going to be the most powerful car your going to get at your age/license type + they hold their value so you can resell next year and get something more powerful.

/edit

Forget the larger cars like Levins and Integras, you will not get insured on those at your age license type.
    The good news is you've got exactly 2 years left before your insurance drops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I've recently got a provisional license and won some money playing poker that I want to purchase a car with.

My budget is 10k for car and insurance, I'll deal with tax and running costs separately. Regards,
    Wisesmurf

What happens next year when you have spent all your money and want to keep the same car on the road?
    I hope your good at poker.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

layke wrote:
    A Honda is the way to go.

At 23 on a Provo I paid €3500 3rd party on a civic 1.4i. with 1 years NCB I managed to get it for €2700 fully comp.

thats serious money to insure a 1.4 civic! are you sure thats the best deal you could get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Bradidup wrote:
    What happens next year when you have spent all your money and want to keep the same car on the road?
    I hope your good at poker.....:D

I'd like to think I'm good. It's only a hobby as I have a job as a result of just getting my degree. by next yr I might be looking beyond a FTO.

Just to update you all. By sheer co-incidence my bro started a job yesterday that gives him a company car so I get to drive his old one for free for a yr. Its a 1L saxo. Not my ideal but my train of thought has changed alot since post one in this thread.

I'll try dig this thread up in a yr or so and update yo all.

Thanks for the replys lads.

Wisesmurf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Bump :D

just read this as im looken at a G6R,only a permit(****en 6months :() just wondering how much insurance would be as a named driver on a company ?

u get a new car yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do not *bump* a year old thread please ...open a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement