Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/10 Nitro RC CAR Buying Advice ??!?!?!

Options
  • 30-03-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    A total n00b to the RC world ..... All I ever played with were those cheap 15 pound rc elec cars that lasted 10 mins before dying. So over the fast few months I have been researching the Nitro cars .... They look cool , Not only for their speed but realism too. Anyway Nitro cars are pricey so I decided to look on the Chinese market ;);) Loads of companies doing RC Nitro cars .... And this looks good..... I have attached a Doc all about it (Never mind the toolkit that mentioned in it) Its 120 $ (CHEAP RTR all stuff in pic comes with , Thats why i asked for advice because its so cheap :p and the toolkits only 9$ :D:D) BUT it does look like good quality... just wanted some advice.

And they will also upgrade a few things for a few $ extra if I decide to buy : metal parts (chassis etc i assume) , 18cxp engine Etc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/23561758/CAR1217_gas_car.doc.html

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Link not working....

Remember though: You get what you pay for.
    If it's the price of a 10 year old white van .... it probably will not go like a new Ferrari !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭barry181091

The link is working ....... Press 'Free' on the web page... then put in the activation code after waiting a min and then download the DOC . Yes i know you get what you pay for but stuff is made a lot cheaper in china so mabey it could be in ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

WTF

If they don't even have a website/page...

Leave out the senseless comments ..... Just take a look at the doc and tell me what ye think :rolleyes:

Leave out the senseless comments ..... Just take a look at the doc and tell me what ye think :rolleyes:

It's crap. Go ahead- buy it and prove it.:cool:

• Advertisement

OK, Found a video for it ! !, Doesn't look too bad for the price ! ! :D:D

http://rapidshare.com/files/23701057/38501.wmv.html

Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gings

I'm new to the RC world also and recently got a HPI Evo3 RTR Nitro car. My first bit of advice is buy a model that you can easily get parts for. This is very important for newbie’s because inevitably you will crash it or have mechanical problems and need spare parts. The car does look like the model I have with a different name, (could be cheap knock off) can you get parts for it? I must admit the price is very good, even when u take the import tax into account, but if u have problems it may not be worth the hassle in the long run. But the decision is ultimately yours, i hope you don’t get stung.

I got mine from towerhobbies in the US, i found them very good on price and when i had problems their customer service was excellent.

I also got alot of help from the lads in Green Hobby when i ran into problems.

best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

OK, Found a video for it ! !, Doesn't look too bad for the price ! ! :D:D....Barry.

Every car looks great when it's going.
    But what happens when it stops going?

We use these models... And that means we break parts, and we wear out parts.
    So spare parts are exactly the same as fuel.
    You feed it fuel and new parts and it keeps going the way it should.

But if you get a funny make with funny unavailable parts .....
    Or even a "main make" but with the spare parts on a shelf 2000 miles away .....
    Or maybe it is too advanced for your present skills level .....
    Or it is so basic that you cannot start the engine.
    In all these cases you have bought a very expensive ornament!

It is a difficult to use complex machine that the average guy can't start for the first time without one-on-one help.
    The more you are a newbie, and have not already used nitro engines, the more you need to buy it very close to where you live, whatever the car, whatever the price .... from a person who understands nitro engines themselves.
    Because you will want about 30 minutes to 1 hour of conversations with that person before you know how to start it, tune it, and get things like suspension settings even half right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Exactly as coolwings said..
    Have you checked out the spares situation?
    I can guarentee you that within two days you will break something and regret you bought it as you cannot easily source parts for it. :cool:

Would the spares not be mainley the same as other spares ??? Anything universal ??

Barry.

• Advertisement

Would the spares not be mainley the same as other spares ??? Anything universal ??

Barry.

Yeah, just like 1:1 cars.

Audi & BMW both have 4 wheels, engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, ................and...................and....................etc. etc. etc.

Mainly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Tbh, if this is going to be your first model go for an established brand, for the reasons people have already stated here.

There is also the possability of tax and duty when you get it. :(
    Could whack the price up a bit.
    I would suggest you call to Greene Hobby and Model and have a chat with them first.
    you may be surprised at what you could learn over a few minutes about how easily you could end up with a broken car that you cannot get replacement parts for if you buy that one you pointed to.
    Spending the extra few €'s here could be well worth it especially when you are a total newbie to the hobby.
    Maybe they might even have a second hand one on offer ?;)

OK ... Yeah thats a problem. Anyway, As im a total n00b ,I have never handled one or even seen one go so if I took myself to Green Hobby & Model , Would they give me a ''taster'' (I cant think of a better word) ...Just to try one out in the shop or whatever ??

Barry.

OK ... Yeah thats a problem. Anyway, As im a total n00b ,I have never handled one or even seen one go so if I took myself to Green Hobby & Model , Would they give me a ''taster'' (I cant think of a better word) ...Just to try one out in the shop or whatever ??

Barry.

Not so sure you could try one out but maybe they might have one to run by you.No harm in ringing them first and asking.;)

Advertisement