Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap petrol in/around Galway?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

What's a cheaper petrol station around Galway, anyone know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

anyone?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

check out www.irishfuelprices.com

edit: also don't be so impatient on a friday night!

:o sorry

As for the site, not too many documented for Galway, I would have thought they are a bit smaller than that

Edit: just wondering where people fuel in Galway? I remember talks abot 1 euro/litre at Tesco...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

105.9 last night in Derrydonnell, 3c cheaper than my home place

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drive to Waterford for cheap fuel - Tesco 97.9 unleaded 95.9 for derv. I've seen as high as 113 in the last few days.

Mike.

• Advertisement

113 pfft thats nothing!
    Statoil on Dublin's quays is up to 139.9 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Its funny that in and around Galway city prices change in all the stations at exactly the same time to exactly the same price...i mean if it was just all the statoils that chage that'd be fair enough but the other brands seem to do it together almost in sync.....One might say it smacks of a (dare i say it!!) "cartel".....
    Any ways derrydonnell seems to be decent and sometimes texaco in oranmore can be below the cities fixed price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kbannon wrote:
    113 pfft thats nothing!

That place is out on its own, nowhere else comes close as far as I know.

Miek.

mike65 wrote:
    That place is out on its own, nowhere else comes close as far as I know.
    Thankfully!
    mike65 wrote:
    Miek.
    Changed your name? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

kbannon wrote:
    113 pfft thats nothing!

Would this be the same statoil tat fills up the state cars; gardai, customs etc? I wonder how many brown envelopes exchanged hands with a member of Fianna Fail for that contract to be approved.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    113 pfft thats nothing!

What are they selling... rocket fuel!:rolleyes:

or are they trying to fleece unwary visitors off the ferry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

slickmcvic wrote:
    Its funny that in and around Galway city prices change in all the stations at exactly the same time to exactly the same price...i mean if it was just all the statoils that chage that'd be fair enough but the other brands seem to do it together almost in sync.....One might say it smacks of a (dare i say it!!) "cartel".....
    Any ways derrydonnell seems to be decent and sometimes texaco in oranmore can be below the cities fixed price

Well not exactly the same price ....hust a consistant 0.1 cent per litre differance :) oh and yes that word "cartel" does come to mind.

Another thing and this is Nationwide and was the same for ALL suppliers of fuel...... Why was it always a consistant 5-6 PENCE differance between a litre of Petrol and Diesel (this changed to about 7-8 cent after the euro changeover) ...... then about 3 years ago when the latest round of massive price increases happened the price of diesel went up to within 2 cent of the price of petrol. It hasnt changed since then.
    Now when there was a large differance in price in the Pre euro age companies always said it was because it was a lot cheaper to refine diesel and there was less duty on Diesel. (Both True)
    Nothing has changed in either but the prices are nearly identical. Duty on Diesel is about 5cent a litre LESS than on petrol.
    This was about the time that diesel engines started talking a much bigger share of the car market.
    IMHO its straight forward price gouging. The oil companies want to make diesel here more expensive than petrol (as in the UK) so as to be able to continue ripping people off into the future.
    Does anyone Know if the Competition authority has looked into this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Back on topic, Grealish's at Carnmore Cross usually tops the list for cheap petrol when the Tribune do one of their surveys. Nearer town, I've always found Maxol in Whitestrand (lower Salthill) to be one of the cheapest around town.

didn't get to Carnmore, but all the petrol stations in Galway were 109.9 minimum for unleaded, there was a 'Top' on the Galway to Headford road that had unleaded for 107.9.

So is Tesco only in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nebra

htp://irishfuelprices.com is a great place for that sort of info, heating oil too, but yeah Grealishes in Carnmore is never too far off the mark & howleys in gort is always on the ball, if you are out that side..

Neb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Its well known that there is a cartel in Galway regarding fuel. I just fill up when I go home in the East where its 10c cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

For those who use Diesel I fill up in the shell accross the road from Monaghan's. Behind Rocka tiles. All the big trucks fill up there and it's always the cheapest round town.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

daveg wrote:
    For those who use Diesel I fill up in the shell accross the road from Monaghan's. Behind Rocka tiles. All the big trucks fill up there and it's always the cheapest round town.

FECK i had forgotten about that place!! How much are they charging now?

Grealish in Carnmore were 109.9 today... yeah, like most every other petrol station in Galway. Shell on Galway to Carnmore road was 1c cheaper, and there was a TOP on the Galway-Barna road 1c cheaper again, at 107.9

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rather than driving out of your way to save 1c per litre, a much better way to economise is to modify your driving style.

Plan your journeys - 'kill ' two or more birds wwith the same 'stone' when you can. Avoid needless acceleration/braking; anticipate road/traffic conditions; switch off your engine when stopped for more than 30 seconds (at traffic lights, in jams); feather the throttle; get into high gear early; drive off immediately after starting a cold engine etc etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

esel wrote:
    switch off your engine when stopped for more than 30 seconds (at traffic lights, in jams);

:confused:

esel wrote:
    Rather than driving out of your way to save 1c per litre, a much better way to economise is to modify your driving style.

Plan your journeys - 'kill ' two or more birds wwith the same 'stone' when you can. Avoid needless acceleration/braking; anticipate road/traffic conditions; switch off your engine when stopped for more than 30 seconds (at traffic lights, in jams); feather the throttle; get into high gear early; drive off immediately after starting a cold engine etc etc.

I'm not going 30 km just to get gas that's 1c cheaper :D
    I read here on this board that underevving may increase mpg.

what's this about driving off with a cold engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

rocky wrote:
    what's this about driving off with a cold engine?

With the choke on, higher concentration of petrol in the mix washes lubrication away. Driving circulates more oil to counteract this.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement