Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of decking

Options
  • 30-03-2007 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a fairly simple deck, no handrails, 13ft x 13ft.... I may get 13x16 or even 13x18 depending on price...

How much would you talking for the timber for this (without installation) and does anybody know of anywhere that is maybe doin a sale or other particulalry good deal at the moment?

Thanks alot...

PS - How much of a discount would a tradesperson get in some places and does that apply everywhere? Thanks again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

GreenHorn,

I got a 16ft x 12ft area of decking built for me last year and the guy charged €1,500 which I think was a very good price. Any large building supplies would stock the decking. I priced the wood for my decking at the time with the intention of having a go at it myself and it worked out at €850. The whole thing took around 3 days to finish.

AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

was that with handrails etc. Al?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Not that I know much, or anything, about this - but that seems kinda expensive? I had a quote of 13x13 a few months ago (timber only) for €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Everything was included in that price. What the guy that put it up for me actually did in the end was use a decking board as the handrail and it looks far better than the regular handrail. I don't think it would have affected the price if I went for the normal rail. Here's a photo to give you an idea on a ****ty wet day soon after it had been finished.

AL.

DSCN0159.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You get what you pay for - and this is certainly no truer when it comes to decking. There are no shortage of guys offering to instal low cost decks and IMO people would be better off keeping their money in the pocket/bank rather than paying for some 'junk work' held together with nails not screws and not a decent mitre in sight.

For comparitive purposes, here's a recent deck we supplied and installed, the finish, orientation and workmanship is head and shoulders above most.

The cost is obviously more but the price of crap is much higher when you do the sums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Wouldn't argue with that neccesarily, but I have somebody to do it and I'm just looking for the cost of the timber and maybe the best/most reputable palce to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Greenhorn

While I cant remember the deal I got for it I do remember getting top quality deckboards for a reasonable price from Kelly (www.timbertrove.com).

I was using them for an extension to an existing flat deck I have and the depth of the board was much better than Woodies or B&Q imo.

Give Kellys a shout and see what they will do for you, I found them very reasonable and flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

Why are you looking at timber decking? you can now get wood plastic composte decking for a little more cash that you pay for hardwood decking, but with out the on going maintenance costs.

Any honest installer will tell you that softwood, the kind you get from Woodies/ B&Q etc. doesn't last long rotting quickly and cracking in the cold. Hardwood is better for lasting, but still requires treatment every year and is dangerous when wet. The composite decking you pick the colour when you buy it, and don't have to worry about painting or varnishing ever. It's non-slip so you can walk on it in the rain and have no worries.

Have a look at http://www.earth-wood.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

I built my own decking and it turned out a lot more expensive that I thought it would. In particular the screws are very expensive
    A few tips.
    Make the size of the decking the same length of wood that you are buying. Boards usually come in 12 or 14 foot. It saves you cutting boards.
    use a wide board as this reduces the number of screws that you need.
    Put a weedgrow mat under the deck
    Use screws not nails as you might want to lift the deck in the future. I'm doing that in the next week to my deck to add LED lights.
    do buy the proper decking screws to ensure the deck lasts
    Use pressure treated wood

Advertisement