Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Sony Camcorder

Options
  • 31-03-2007 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought a camcorder off a guy for 300 euros.He was sold the camera believing it was a sony.When he showed it to me it didnt look right so i look at the manual which didnt have sony label and the software wasnt sony.
    After this checked the internet for the model couldnt find one made from Sony but found one made from a different company.It looks like they bought it and stuck a sony sticker on the camcorder.We contacted the gardai but they said they cant do anything.They say it is a civel matter and to get solicitor.We know where this guy works that sold it.What should we do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Did he buy it through Buy and Sell/adverts.ie, car boot sale, shop or what?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was going in home the other day and a white van pulled up outside the house and yer man said "I'm selling Sony camcorders boss, any interest?" . I politely declined though it looks like the OPs friend didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

He brought it back to guy.Getting the money back tomorrow.What I am surprised about is that the gardai wouldnt do anyting about it.Also heard stories of a guy walking into harvey norman and he was approached by a guy that asked him if he wanted to buy a laptop that harvey norman wouldnt leave him return.
    He looked at laptop was very good and it was for 300 yoyo.So he went away got the money and came back.He was given the box but didnt chrck again if it was the same laptop inside.Went home it was a fake laptop inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

well thats just stupid!

and how come everything costs him 300 blips?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did it by any chance turn out to be a "dv2000" or some other "dvxxxxx" model number?

I used to work in a Sony centre and got people in once or twice a month with those that had a sony sticker on them, looking for help with them.

tbh they look nothing like a sony camcorder.

anythign liek this? http://www2.shopping.com/xPF-Premier-DV-2000~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

floydmoon1 wrote:
    What I am surprised about is that the gardai wouldnt do anyting about it.
    wonder how quick they'd jump if sony contacted them, anyway hadn't heard of that before, thanks for the heads up.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

floydmoon1 wrote:
    He brought it back to guy.Getting the money back tomorrow.What I am surprised about is that the gardai wouldnt do anyting about it.Also heard stories of a guy walking into harvey norman and he was approached by a guy that asked him if he wanted to buy a laptop that harvey norman wouldnt leave him return.
    He looked at laptop was very good and it was for 300 yoyo.So he went away got the money and came back.He was given the box but didnt chrck again if it was the same laptop inside.Went home it was a fake laptop inside.

The Guards should have given him a wallaop on the head with a truncheon in the hope that it would put his brain back into gear....if it looks too good to be true it usually is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If there is a fake brand on it, and/or if there is a fraud it isn't a civil matter any more, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

it doesnt cost much to make up a few stickers after all its 100% profit for these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Well as one person buying from another person your friend isn't really a consumer (see consumer rights) and unless he has a few more people who fell for the same scam with him the Garda will do nothing. The best bet to get any satisfaction would be to contact Sony and tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Stekelly wrote:
    Did it by any chance turn out to be a "dv2000" or some other "dvxxxxx" model number?

I used to work in a Sony centre and got people in once or twice a month with those that had a sony sticker on them, looking for help with them.

tbh they look nothing like a sony camcorder.

anythign liek this? http://www2.shopping.com/xPF-Premier-DV-2000~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.ie

Very Similar to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Mate at work got stopped somewhere in Louth by some guy in a van as well. Sold him what looks like that DV2000 for €40 with sony stickers on it. Have to say at first glance it looked pretty convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If there is a fake brand on it, and/or if there is a fraud it isn't a civil matter any more, is it?

Gardai can only act on instruction of the brand owner, otherwise its a civil matter. - Basically if the Guards were involved the seller would only have to say that he thought it was a sony and he had bought it off another guy. - No proof - No case.

Too many people want something for nothing - always ends bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

but, for the lad who got one for 40 euro, if it worked id be happy for 40 but 300 is a bit steep and im glad he got the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought a camcorder off a guy for 300 euros.He was sold the camera believing it was a sony.When he showed it to me it didnt look right so i look at the manual which didnt have sony label and the software wasnt sony.
    After this checked the internet for the model couldnt find one made from Sony but found one made from a different company.It looks like they bought it and stuck a sony sticker on the camcorder.We contacted the gardai but they said they cant do anything.They say it is a civel matter and to get solicitor.We know where this guy works that sold it.What should we do next.

Was this guy in a nissian almeria car? with glasses? had a gold badge saying manager with his or a name on it? said he is from <SNIP>?

Would be interested in if you got anywhere on this matter? Was it a "sony" Mx7000 fake camera recorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread from 2007. Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement