Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair access buses

Options
  • 31-03-2007 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I have noticed recently in my area that old buses are being used. These buses have absolutely no access for wheelchairs, in fact the embarressed driver on one of these buses stopped for a guy in a wheelchair at a stop and apologized because he could not take him, fair play to the driver for that at least.

I and other passengers were disgusted and said as such.

Is it really legal to bring older working buses into service with no accessability because the existing ones are breaking down so much? In one week I witnessed 3 buses broken down on streets and holding up traffic ironic to say the least. This suggests that the money is not being put into public transport and the disabled are not even considered as such.

It is a disgrace to me to see in this day and age in a country which is supposed to be well off, apparently choosing to ignore the 'disabled' by putting old buses on the road with no access whatsoever.

Are the authorities interests profit based and not concerned with social issues? Or are we as a public not complaining enough and just sitting back and saying 'Ah well, sure you know they have their reasons'.
    I would like to hear opinions on this, the older buses are still being used, even more so now as the fleet is getting older.

Advertisement