Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winners of 2006

Options
  • 31-03-2007 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Winners of The 2006 Boards.ie Video Game awards.

Platform awards

Playstation 2 - Shadow of Colossus

Xbox 360 - Gears of War

Nintendo Wii -Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo DS - Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney

PC - Company of Heroes

PSP - Loco Roco

Genre Awards

FPS - Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Sports - Wii Sports

Online - The Hidden: Source

Action/Adventure - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Racing - Outrun 2 Coast to Coast

RPG - Oblivion

Sim - Viva Pinata

Strategy - Company of Heroes

Miscellaneous awards

Story - The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Character - Mdina (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Hottest Character - Zoe Castillo

Soundtrack - We Love Katamari

Villian - Von Karma

Event - Nintendo at E3.

GAME OF THE YEAR

LEGEND OF ZELDA: Twilight Princess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

A good year

Bit Predictable in most catagories. And Legend of Zelda cleaned up walking away with 5 awards, PC hit Company of heroes comes second with 2 awards, and Phoenix Wright 3rd with an award, plus a character award.

There are few surprises though:

Most amazing of which is the online game award. 4 of the 6 nominations were 360 based games primarily, clearly proving that as an online platform the 360 has arrived. Even more of a shocker was that the winner was not a game but a mod, which is a severe kick to the nuts of pc game developers everywhere. Especially Dice who released its newest Battlefield incarnation last year and it wasnt even nominated.

Also I personnally found the Racing catagory to be a satisfying surprise. In a time were racing games have become more and more serious and 'hardcore' its nice to see the award to go to something so strong in its old school *fun* charm. My hats off to Outrun 2 coast to coast for winning the award.

Overall though the big hits won what they were expected to win in the platform awards. Only the DS had a sleeper hit, but that is because the little machine was drowned in hits last year.

My only disapointment is that too many catagories had clear winners from the beginning, it makes it less exciting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think all the games that won deserve their rewards. All except one of them. Gears of War was a technical marvel but only afairly enjoyable game. Rainbow Six: Vegas blows it away in almost every way. Better single player with more intense gun battles, far better online and offline multiplayer and it looked almost as nice. The story was crap but so was the story in GoW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm glad that Midna won the best character award, she really is a fantastic bit of character design imo.
    and she should've been included in hottest character as well, but I guess nobody had finished the game at the time of suggestions...
    Zelda was definitely a worthwhile winner, it was well worth the asking price of a Wii at launch to be among the first to play this fantastic slice of gaming history... a game truly deserving of the 10/10 reviews it received.

It was a great year for games looking back, the DS and 360 went from strength to strength, Nintendo awarded the patient fanbois and actually released the Wii shortly after the other 2 regions (and then screwed us over with a bleak release schedule this year + some massively delayed PAL releases)

Fair play BlitzKrieg, it all seemed to go very smoothly for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    My only disapointment is that too many catagories had clear winners from the beginning, it makes it less exciting.

Would it be an idea to have some sort of blind vote next time? That way we can all be pleasantly surprised (or bitterly disappointed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

ya can you put a spoiler over the whole poll cause that would be good

• Advertisement

We tried to have a blind vote this year, there was a discussion on it over on the mod forum, we couldnt figure out how to set it up...well I couldnt, a number of mods told me of ways and if you could see this forum from my perspective...it is full of deleted threads of me trying to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, you've got a year to perfect it :D

i intend to...I had a few ideas i was going to implement of the idea of a blind vote..but because I couldnt get it working I felt those ideas really couldnt work.

Advertisement