Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags

Options
  • 31-03-2007 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I want your opinions on this. What would you do in this situation?

My sister calls me up at 11.15 balling crying saying that someone is trying to break into her house, and there are people fucking up her cars. Yes cars. She has an old car, and a brand spanking new 07 she bought last week. I live 200 meters away and run like fuck over to the house, little katana in hand prepared for the worst. I get there and the cunts have fled. Her new car is destroyed. Every window put in, it's basically demolished. Her old car, which she had just done up and planned to sell is also destroyed. If you had stumbled upon these cars you would think they were in an accident, and are definitely write offs. I call her to let her know I'm outside, she opens the door in tears. I had called the guards en route to her house and they arrived soon after in fairness to them.

My sister is adamant she knows who did it. She gives her speil to the guards and they go on their merry way, stating that they will try to arrest the main culprit tonight, but if they can't they'll get him on Monday. Monday? I ask. Yeah says the guard, because he'll probably be drunk over the entire weekend, it's best to catch him out on Monday, he says. I'll get back to this....

So I take everything valuable out of the car (with gloves on) and go into my sister's house. Her boyfriend is out in Limerick and we cannot contact him because his phone is shite and he has no coverage. She tells me that she had hassle with a group of 18/19 year olds earlier on that evening. Her son, my nephew who is 6, was playing out the front of the house and the lads knocked him off his bike, and threw it over a wall into a garden. This wall is about 8 feet tall. She knew the people who's garden it was in and retrieved it, but the front wheel on the bike was fucked, and thus my nephew's Christmas present is gone bye bye. She said they have been pissed off with her ever since she got the new car, because they can't play football against the wall of her house because of where she parked it. She told them, today, before they destroyed my nephews' Christmas present that she will move it in the morning. They couldn't wait obviously.

She told me who they were, and I know every single one of them, where they live, their brothers, etc. I actually had a pint with the main culprit two weeks ago, and he doesn't know that she is my sister.

What would you do? Leave it be? Kick the living fuck out of them? The guards don't want to pursue this until Monday.

If someone else had created this thread I would say leave it to the guards, but when you have crossed a line you've crossed a line. I'm absolutely fuming. How the hell can I just leave this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Unbelievable.

I would use the law to its full effect.

Push for criminal charges and if that does not get satisfactory results pursue civil action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Quite honestly, if anyone did any such thing to my sister, I would have no trouble taking a blunt instrument to their persons.

I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just saying I would go and break some bones in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try and keep a cool head, see if the guards do anything on Monday. That said, even I would have trouble keeping it cool and not going over with a crowbar intent on doing damage. Do they know who the main culprit is, like is he known to the guards? Keep up the pressure on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I don't understand why the police don't want to do anything until Monday, what's that about being drunk??

Anyway, I'd talk about it with the main culprit, a strongly worded talk. If you already know him, I don't think there is any harm in going to his house and talking about it. Of course, he doesn't sound very reasonable at all so would it do any good?

Yeah it's frustrating, but I'd say maximising use of the guards would be your best chance of clearing things up. Oh and the local paper if there is one, might keep them on their toes? Don't go hitting anyone though, you'll make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Quite honestly, if anyone did any such thing to my sister, I would have no trouble taking a blunt instrument to their persons.

I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just saying I would go and break some bones in that situation.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not drunk or anything, and I have had the best part of five hours to come to terms with that just happened and I really don't think I can let this go. I'm normally a calm person, and I have calmed down now and have been thinking this through somewhat rationally. To do that to my little nephew, and then to my sister when she was on her own in the house. I really don't think I can let it go.

Ruu wrote:
    Do they know who the main culprit is, like is he known to the guards? Keep up the pressure on them.

As soon as my sister told them who did it, the male guard knew exactly who it was. His companion asked if she should ring it in to get his address or see if he has a record and he said there's no point, that he has had several encounters with him before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

scojones wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not drunk or anything, and I have had the best part of five hours to come to terms with that just happened and I really don't think I can let this go. I'm normally a calm person, and I have calmed down now and have been thinking this through somewhat rationally. To do that to my little nephew, and then to my sister when she was on her own in the house. I really don't think I can let it go.

You know, Infront is correct is one reguard. You probably will make things worse, if you're not carefull.

Before you do anything, seriously consider that if you do resort to violence, you could put your sister and nephew in even worse danger.

I don't see how they could be in worse danger to be honest. They tried to break into her house, they destroyed both her cars. God knows what they would have done if they got in.

I will really try to give the guards until Monday, but if I meet any of them in the street there is no way in hell I could walk past them and leave it be. There really isn't. I can just picture their smug faces as I walk past ( I'm sure the ones who know me will figure out she's my sister soon enough ). I'd snap right there.

I'm off to bed now to sleep on this, but to make it worse it's her 30th birthday today (Saturday). She doesn't even want to go out and celebrate it anymore. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

you know who they are, Right?
    you know where they live, Right?
    You know the gards are useless in situations like this
    you posses a large and blunt object, Right?

see what I'm gettin at there.

If it was my sister and I knew who it was I wouldnt have bothered callin the cops, better to get a few mates and a transit van and start makin housecalls.

Scumbags like that have no respect for authority or any real fear of consequence cos they usualy get away with something like a suspended sentence and a tut tut from some dopeyfcknmagistrate, people like that need to be reminded of what the consequences really are of using force and intimidation - that no matter how big and clever you think you are theres always someone bigger whos got a transitvan full of tooled up mates just itchin to put some manners on em

you should go round to their houses anyway to seek compo for the wrecked cars, take anything not nailed down and torch the rest.

if they are just kids like you said that may focus the parents into doing something about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

First of all, I have to say this is bloody terrible. I feel so bad for your sister. No one should ever have to feel that frightened in their own home. And to know exactly who it is & the Guards not doing anything 'Monday'. Since when do they not arrest people for crimes they are implicated in?

Anyway, this isn't helping you so here is my opinion...

Ruu, Karl, & all are totally right.

Look, they know where she lives.
    If they carried out this malevolent piece of handiwork because of where she parked her car:
    scojones wrote:
    She said they have been pissed off with her ever since she got the new car, because they can't play football against the wall of her house because of where she parked it. She told them, today, before they destroyed my nephews' Christmas present that she will move it in the morning.

...imagine what they'll do if you do actually react in a violent way.

I absolutely understand why you're feeling the way you are, but unless she is moving out of town it's not a good idea.

The fact that you took the time to post on here means you're thinking some way calmly or you would have gone to their houses tonight & wreaked havoc.

The Gardaí are the only way you can go: unless she's planning on moving very soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Pongo

scojones wrote:
    To do that to my little nephew, and then to my sister when she was on her own in the house. I really don't think I can let it go.
    QUOTE]

Perfectly understandable, and fair play to you for trying to think things through rather than going with a gut instinct reaction (although if you had by now put one of them in intensive care or worse I wouldn't think any less of you...)

But, before you go down the road of taking things into your own hand, bear in mind what you start, you must finish. Are you the type of guy who smashes up a woman's car because you can't play football where she parked it? No? Of course you're not. These guys are pure scum, and they're obviously not afraid of the law, chances are they won't be afraid of you. Read the quote above, 'when she was on her own in the house'. I hate to say it but unless you're going to be there all the time, then let the Gardai handle it. Unless you're prepared to keep escalating the situation until they back off, then leave it be. Chances are they'll escalate it much further, much quicker than you expect....

actualy Iwas thinkin about this when I was closin up here, after what they did to your nephew its fairly obvious that these kids are just wannabeethugs. if you leave the cops to take care of it, well I think we all know how effective they will be, the kids will get a slap on the wrist, your sister will have 2 broken cars and a broken bicycle, actualy that makes me really fume, they must be real big hardmen to knock a fckn sixyearold off his bike and bully him, real big men yeah, and if yer worried about how they will treat your sister after you intervene, well its very hard to kick a football from a wheelchair.

like I said earlier they have no frame of reference, yet, for the consequences of their actions, and I think its gettin worse and worse in the generations growin up today, no slaping from the parents to put them into line, no gettin the livin shoite beaten out of ya by sadistic priests cos they suspect you might deserve it, they have no fear or commonsense and that needs to be sorted out.

@ pongo,

bear in mind that these are just bullyboy kids, an actual escalation of events would most likely scare the ****e out of them, they will only attack if they think the sister is defenceless etc, basicly cowardly ****s, OP sayas he knows one of them from the pub (actualy whay kind of dimwittedfkcus are both old enough to drink in a pub and still spend their evenins kickin a football against someones wall, the mind boggles) so I would suggest

1) pass the word round the pub as to what he's done
    2) wait patiently for him to enter the bar with the rest of his mates
    3) having cleared it first with the landlord and makin sure that the rest of the patrons know the score walk calmly up to him pick up a convieniently located hurley and proceed to pummelthelivinshoite out of him in full view of his mates, have some of your mates hold his mates in place and make them watch this reminding them every so often that they're next.

the vicious and calculated manner of the reprisal coupled with the knowledge that no one in the bar was willing to intervene in their defence should do the trick.

If it was my sister and I knew who it was I wouldnt have bothered callin the cops, better to get a few mates and a transit van and start makin housecalls........

you should go round to their houses anyway to seek compo for the wrecked cars, take anything not nailed down and torch the rest.

if they are just kids like you said that may focus the parents into doing something about them....

With all due respect.... That's all well and good advising him to do that, but seriously, how heavy do you think it's going to get if he goes down that road? Bull**** macho talk doesn't help him....

actualy Iwas thinkin about this when I was closin up here, after what they did to your nephew its fairly obvious that these kids are just wannabeethugs. if you leave the cops to take care of it, well I think we all know how effective they will be, the kids will get a slap on the wrist, your sister will have 2 broken cars and a broken bicycle, actualy that makes me really fume, they must be real big hardmen to knock a fckn sixyearold off his bike and bully him, real big men yeah, and if yer worried about how they will treat your sister after you intervene, well its very hard to kick a football from a wheelchair.
    QUOTE]

You're dead right and I agree with you, but assuming these assholes are wannabe thugs, are you sure their parents aren't real thugs? Their uncles? Their mates?

He's better off seeing how the Gardai get on in fairness...
    like I said earlier they have no frame of reference, yet, for the consequences of their actions, and I think its gettin worse and worse in the generations growin up today, no slaping from the parents to put them into line, no gettin the livin shoite beaten out of ya by sadistic priests cos they suspect you might deserve it, they have no fear or commonsense and that needs to be sorted out.

....You've probably got a point there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Call the Gardai again, you might get a different set on shift and see what they have to say. If they tell you again to sit tight till Monday, then maybe you and your Sister could call around to some of the Parents, just to let them know what happened and you will be pressing charges on their little Johnnos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You are extremely foolish if you do anything but leave it to the Garda.
    keep the pressure on them and be in their faces if they are not doing anything.

Anything else,in my opinion, is only going to be only bringing further trouble on you.

By the sound of it these thugs have nothing to lose,they don't give a toss.

You seem to be in a different situation....think before you do anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You are extremely foolish if you do anything but leave it to the Garda.
    I think we can all imagine what will happen there. If they get off their arses and actually do anything, by the time it gets to court, if it gets to court, chances are high the scum will get off lightly. It's one of the reasons the Garda often don't bother getting off their arses in the first place.
    keep the pressure on them and be in their faces if they are not doing anything.
    Lovely idea. How? They know he can do nothing.
    By the sound of it these thugs have nothing to lose,they don't give a toss.
    Sadly true. Sometimes giving them a permanent limp is the only way to stop them. Fair play to scojones. TBH Not walking up and beating them into an early grave was some show of character.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are you willing to deal with any comeback if you DO actually knock the s***e out of these toerags? Is your sister? If they're that well known to the gardai you can be sure they wont just take their beating and leave it at that. Are you willing to actually knock the s***e outta these toerags? You might feel angry but when it comes down to it are you willing to inflict damage on someone? How much?

See how the gardai deal with it. they might get some sort of result, but tbh damage to cars probably wont carry any heavy convintions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

This is a hypothetical/wishful thought, but.....

Drag these lowlifes and their parents/guardians to a public hearing in a court with summon, stick notices everywhere re this hearing and encourage the entire village/town to attend it. Hopefully, this will shame these lowlifes away and alert all to the presence of such.

But that's me.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

awful story OP, i sympathise. Someone suggesting ringing the gardai back to try get a different garda. that wont be of us as whoever came out originally will be the only person dealing with the case.

These guys will be arrested but unless they have prior convictions, and depending on their age, will depend on their sentencing which i suspect wont be enough.

Im not condoning violence but i will tell you a story and you can take what you want out of it. When i was a young teenager we had simliar problems where we lived at the time with a gang of simliar wannabe thugs. The gardai were involved so often but nothing ever happened as the thugs would get off with suspended sentences or minor convictions. (No fault of the gardai)

So our next door neighbour came up with a solution that i have to admit worked. He believe the only tactic that would stop the nastiness was not violence, but scaring the bejaysus out of them. So this is what he did.

Himself and a few other neighbours got together one night, put on balaclavas and carried iron bars. They went to where the thugs were hangin out and ran to them and grabbed them. (cathcing them by surprise) Acting like vigilantes but without hurting or hittin anyone threatened the thugs that if they were ever seen on our street again they were dead etc etc. The beauty was that the thugs didnt know who the guys were as they had balaclavas on so in their eyes a bunch of psycho vigilantes had now threatened them. They couldnt get revenge cos they didnt know who they were, and cos they were to scared.

It worked for ua anyway. I dont recommend resorting to violence tho unless they break into your house or you need to defend your self. Best of luck

How is your sister this mornin?

who is gonna have to pay for the car repairs, does the insurance cover that?

whats she doin for a vehicle now like
    do any of these scumbabs have a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

faceman wrote:
    Himself and a few other neighbours got together one night, put on balaclavas and carried iron bars. They went to where the thugs were hangin out and ran to them and grabbed them. (cathcing them by surprise) Acting like vigilantes but without hurting or hittin anyone threatened the thugs that if they were ever seen on our street again they were dead etc etc. The beauty was that the thugs didnt know who the guys were as they had balaclavas on so in their eyes a bunch of psycho vigilantes had now threatened them. They couldnt get revenge cos they didnt know who they were, and cos they were to scared.

It worked for ua anyway. I dont recommend resorting to violence tho unless they break into your house or you need to defend your self. Best of luck

The best thing to do is sleep on it for now and see how you feel this morning. I can't remember anything like that happening to me or my sisters. When i was slightly younger i would always look out for my younger sister and i always ended up fighting some scum bag if we were out in a pub or club and she was getting hassled as most brothers do, not that im proud of it.

The only thing i would say is leave it to the garda for now and see what happens within a week if nothing happens then i would take matter into my own hands. The only downside to this is that if they find out that she is your sister etc then this could get nasty and ugly.

I have to say i like faceman's idea and i know a few people who have used this scare tatic before and it worked. There's not much anyone can really say and its your choice but if you want to put an end to this then i would use "FACMAN" idea and scare them, see what happens after that.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think it's inexcusable for the guards to say they wont do anything until Monday. I think taking revenge would be highly inadvisable as the law would be more likely to come down hard on you as you are older and it might provoke them further.

If the guards do nothing or the courts do nothing, which I would expect, particularly if they are under 18, I'd be very tempted by faceman's idea.

In the end something has to be done, society can't tolerate people behaving like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

haven't read any of the other posts cause I'm in a rush, but my advice would be have a pint with the main culprit again, then casually bring up your sisters car thrashing, "did ya see what happened down the road from me, some woman got both her cars beaten to ****" or something to that effect, more than likely, being the scummer that he is, he'll want to brag about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Numina wrote:
    haven't read any of the other posts cause I'm in a rush, but my advice would be have a pint with the main culprit again, then casually bring up your sisters car thrashing, "did ya see what happened down the road from me, some woman got both her cars beaten to ****" or something to that effect, more than likely, being the scummer that he is, he'll want to brag about it

thats a poor idea, what will it achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I were you I'd see how the law handles it before doing anything else. If you go and beat the sh*t out of them, then I'd say you'll only create alot of trouble for yourself and for your sister. When they smashed the cars, they probably went off thinking they'd settled it, but if you start bashing them, then it'll only escalate, and you'll have windows going through, and you'll put yourself in danger. You don't wanna end up in a drawn-out conflict/war with these clown-arses. Just wait til Monday and see what the Gardaí can do; if they can't do anything, then have a (strong) word with your man. When you tell him it was your sister, he might become real apologetic, and offer to pay for the damage, and apologise to your sister. You said you were drinking with him 2 weeks ago, I gather this means that he's a friend of a friend...? Maybe have a word with the friend and ask him to put pressure on the bloke.

If all that fails, grab some boys and do what faceman did.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,248 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Getting violent or approaching the scumbags yourself might just lead to bigger problems. Lets the guards deal with it, it's crap that they probably can't do much about it. If your know who the people are, passing the word around about them, more people on your side and against them the better, although people like this are probably already known as the local scumbags. Really hope you get some sort of result to punishing these people

eolhc wrote:
    If your know who the people are, passing the word around about them, more people on your side and against them the better,

unfortunately this rarely makes a differences as people are afraid to stand up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what age are they, and how many are there? is it a scumbag area?

Advertisement