Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Keys and their performance

Options
  • 31-03-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I ordered and got a 8Gb corsair USB2 key this week. I tried it out last night and it's a pretty solid piece of kit as usb keys go. Supposely advertised to support 16Mb/s write and 33Mb/s read. So I did some tests with HD Tach 3.0.1.0.

These are read tests only. Tested on:
    Pentium D820
    1Gb Ram
    160Gb Sata Seagate drive
    Windows XP MCE

Here is a generic Jetflash USB2 1Gb Key. Not bad... 10Mb/s.
    20070331_JetFlashUSB2_1Gb.gif

Now look at Corsair's effort. 35Mb/s for reading. That's awesome. In writing I dragged over a 700Mb file in 40 secs. Appox. 16Mb/s... which is close to the write claims.
    20070331_CorsairFlashVoyagerUSB2_8G.gif

Here is my old USB1 Generic 1Gb mp3 player. Doubles as a normal memory key. Not impressive.. but speed is not its reason to be. But still a shocking difference - comparing to USB1
    20070331_GenericUSB1_1Gb.gif

Finally added my 160Gb SATA hard drive to compare with the Corsair for comparison. 200Mb/s...
    20070331_ST3160812AS_SATA_160Gb.gif

Anyone got any usb keys or other Corsair keys (1Gb,2Gb...) ? Could you just run HD Tach 3.0.1 and whip up a result?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A Philips 2GB USB stick, with woeful results :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also, I've just found my older SanDisk Cruzer, which gave better speeds!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Results from a Peak 4GB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is from my 4gb usb drive
    connected directly into my usb2 port on my laptop

Advertisement