Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tanning Products For Men

• 31-03-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Alright, basically I'm as white as a litre of milk. Just wondering if anyone knew of any tanning products that could help me out?

I want to try and look natural. I saw an ad for Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion. Is it any use or what should I be using?

Comments

If I may be frank, fake tan's almost certainly going to make you look orange. It's generally obvious from a mile off if someone is wearing fake tan. Especially if you're white as milk to start.

But if you really do insist, get something like dove that's done extremely gradually. Friend uses dove and says it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

And you call yourself a man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

go to a sunny place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Triton wrote:
    Alright, basically I'm as white as a litre of milk. Just wondering if anyone knew of any tanning products that could help me out?

I want to try and look natural. I saw an ad for Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion. Is it any use or what should I be using?

If you live in Dublin go to the Tanning Cove, theres one in the Swan Centre, Rathmines and Tallaght, though I'm sure there are more around.

For €35 you can get an all over even natural tan, well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

bluewolf wrote:
    If I may be frank, fake tan's almost certainly going to make you look orange. It's generally obvious from a mile off if someone is wearing fake tan. Especially if you're white as milk to start.

But if you really do insist, get something like dove that's done extremely gradually. Friend uses dove and says it's good.

why wold it certainly make him look orange?? not all fake tans give the look of an oompa loompa after application! theres planty of natural looking tans out there, its just a matter of finding one that suits your skin tone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I saw an ad for a Nivea for Men facial moisturiser with tan in it. Looked pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

dont mean to be a "player hater" or anythin, and dont get me wrong i think anyone and everyone should be allowed to dress and look like whatever they want to look like but honestly...who in the world are you trying to impress?in all fairness i can hardly imagine any girl finding it "hot" or "sexy" to find out that the guy in front of them is wearing fake tan!!!and anyways, theres nothing wrong with being white, we're irish for gods sake!its what we're supposed to look like!!

whatever floats your boat man,id say stick with the way ur skin looks now,AND by the way,remember that it could go hidiously wrong and you could end up being known as "the guy who wears fake tan"!im sure the ladies will be qeueing up by the dozens then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pythia wrote:
    I saw an ad for a Nivea for Men facial moisturiser with tan in it. Looked pretty good.
    You're kidding right? A female "acquaintance" ;) of mine and I saw that ad. Her vehement exclamation of: "for the love of god man... grow a pair!" at the t.v. I really don't think could have hit the nail on the head any better.

This is an ad... where they try to put something like this in the very best possible light. As quite a pale person myself I must admit it utterly turned me off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I personally think it's more acceptable for a man to be white as a litre of milk than to have any hint fake-tanned-ness about him.

Think about how many female oompa-loompa's you see out and about and just imagine what that would look like on a man....he'd be a laughing stock!

If you really feel you absolutely want to try it then get a temporary, light one (like the Dove stuff or similar). The last thing you want is to get covered in something that takes days/weeks to get rid of again. And remember that a lot of tanning products take a few hours or even overnight to develop into the final shade, so don't be tempted to go slapping more on!

Another thing, if you're going to a salon or somewhere pay special attention to the colour of the person who'll be applying it.....if they're orange then chances are they prefer the fake-tanned look rather than the naturally-tanned look so they might turn you into a similar shade to themselves! :eek:
    (Note to any tanning professionals, do not be over-tanned yourself or you'll lose business!)

Another point to consider is your hair colour. I'm very very fair (hair as well as skin) and a dark tan (even a "natural" toned one) would look ridiculous on me (and I'm a woman). I use Dove or Johnson's but only apply it every few days and in summer only. My sister has similar colouring and applies it every day and it does look a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Pythia wrote:

ya my friend has started using it and he swears by it it looks good on him too. there is a loreal one too which is for men. im using the loreal sublime gel thing its really nice looks very 'ou naturel' if i do say so.not a chocolate factory in sight.
    not sure bout guys wearing it though.dont think i would like to date someone who would wear it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I too am quite pale and have always wondered about things like the mens Nivea moisturiser with tanning - however even the slightest change that it might look fake means I will not be attempting it. Its annoying though cause the odd time I do go away and get even a little bit brown people always comment that I look really well etc, just wish I would make it stay. Unfortunately 6 sun holidays a years is not really possible... www.tan.ie perhaps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nearly everyone looks better with a hint of brown, but seriously, don't even go there!!

Fake tan looks well, fake, and sunbeds will destroy your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What about sunbathing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would prefer to look like an oompa loompa then spend hours frying my skin tbh. I'm always giving out the my mum in summer for not using sunscreen!

I'm using the Johnson's Holiday Skin body lotion atm, it's very good, it builds up gradually and moisturises so my legs are not lovely and soft, and I've heard the Dove one is even better!

Clarins do a skin range for men which includes self-tanning products and they're quite popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Bateman wrote:
    What about sunbathing?

What about cancer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My kinda gal Malteaser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Zascar wrote:
    the odd time I do go away and get even a little bit brown people always comment that I look really well etc

This wouldn't just be the "tan" that's making you look well. The sun has vitamins that give us a very healthy look, the colour just comes with it too.

I personally think the whole fake tan scene is ridiculous. Once I know a girls tan is fake, I instantly lose a lot of attraction. Anything fake, hair, nails, breasts etc is doing them no favours in my books. Fake tan seems to be accepted on girls because the history of make-up, but fake tan on guys is equally as sad.

If you want good skin, take care of your skin by eating well, drinking plenty of water, getting it out in the fresh air and sun and by not using any ****ty chemical products. People today are getting far to reliant on quick and easy solutions for their problems.

Advertisement