Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bank account branches

Options
  • 31-03-2007 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Is it straightforward? I haven't moved house or anything, I just want to switch to a different branch.

Also I used to work briefly at the branch where my account is currently located and I know how laxy-daisy they are with accessing account info on other people/giving details to people they shouldn't. I was reprimanded once for refusing to give a wife details on her husband's bank account when it was a sole account and none of her business. They said I should have done it because they "knew" he didn't mind her knowing....even though it was agains the rules.

So, I'd really like to move my own account!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You don't "move" accounts to a new branch, you set up a new account at a new branch of your choice.

You'll have different sort code and account details, so you need to re-set up DD's, standing orders, wages being paid in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

BuffyBot wrote:
    You don't "move" accounts to a new branch, you set up a new account at a new branch of your choice.

You'll have different sort code and account details, so you need to re-set up DD's, standing orders, wages being paid in etc.
    I read in another post here somewhere that you can get a "switching number" or something which will move all your direct debits etc for you?

@OP - this laxy-daisy attitude is everywhere unfortunitly. So much for privacy... it's all an illusion :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You shouldnt have to do anything. Any branch will look after whatever needs you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I read in another post here somewhere that you can get a "switching number" or something which will move all your direct debits etc for you?

You can move from bank to bank (i.e. AIB to BOI) and the switching is supposed to be automatic. However, it doesn't work like the within the same bank like that.

stepbar is correct though - just start using another branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ordinarily I would but with my bank if you want to discuss your laser card or whatever they insist you go to your "home" branch which I am not happy to do.

I think I'll just switch banks.

Thanks for the help though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Switching branches would make absolutely no difference!!

You can access all the same services from any branch of your bank and staff in any branch can access your details, so if you want to stop your local branch from seeing your details then moving to another bank is only option.
    This is pretty easy to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Telling someone to go to their 'home branch' is a fob off usually.

Advertisement