Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 323i

Options
  • 31-03-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello, I've been offered a 323i for €13,500. It's a 2000, 45,000 miles, leather, alloys, etc. Could someone who's in the know advise whether this is a good deal or not?

Does that not seem like very low mileage, what's the odds of it being clocked?

And how heavy will this be on petrol (it's a 2.5 tiptronic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

im not a bmw expert here but thats seriously low milage, seriously dubiously low it has to be said on a car like that.
    you should get it checked out with the chassis number and see how well it was looked after and check the service intervals.

as for petrol i would be surprised if you would get 300miles on a tank, but others might shed more light on it, but by all means its a fine car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Hello, I've been offered a 323i for €13,500. It's a 2000, 45,000 miles, leather, alloys, etc. Could someone who's in the know advise whether this is a good deal or not?

Does that not seem like very low mileage, what's the odds of it being clocked?

And how heavy will this be on petrol (it's a 2.5 tiptronic)

Contact the previous owner and have a chat with them about the car. It may be genuine milage depending on what they do for a living. :) Not everyone commutes 100 miles a day to work :) I for one for the last few years have been working from home so i have done less milage in 4 years than i did previously in 1 ..(30K Miles a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mileage is very low

as for what you'll get mpg wise, I had a 523i, same engine, bigger body and I was getting 35/36mpg on long runs and was averaging 31mpg on my daily run to/from work which wasn't heavy traffic but running about 50mph on A roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I bought a 323Ci from Murphy & Gunn (Rathgar) in July last year. It had 29,000 miles on it and a service history of sorts. (No book, just invoices). It's a 2000 model and I believe the mileage to be genuine.

I drive 600 miles a week (I know; it's sick, I'm close to 50,000 now) and fill the thing about 5 times every 3 weeks. ATM it's costing over €60 to fill. The computer thingy tells me I'm getting 30 mpg, so I find Lex's 35/36mpg very impressive. Mine's also an auto/tip but be aware that my daily drive involves long strethes of road with little or no traffic and a bit too much foot-down, kick-down 5th to 2nd :D:D:D overtaking. I rarely drive in the city or in much traffic. (I work strange hours) My average cruising speed went from a sedate 90 km/h in a 1.8 Volvo S40 to 110 km/h in the Beemer. This car will do that to you.

If you can confirm the mileage and you're happy with it, it sounds like a good price to me if the cars in good nick. If you do buy it, PM me after a couple of weeks and let me know just how much you love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

45K miles equates to just over 6000 miles per year, or 16 miles a day - that's not really that low. When I lived in the subarbs, that was roughly my annual mileage.

However, while the low mileage may be genuine, it doesn't necessarily make it more desireable than a car that may have more mileage, but has done more miles on the motorway and less miles stuck in traffic.

• Advertisement

DubTony, I never go by the trip computer, but make my calculations based on distance travelled against amount of fuel from last fill to next fill.

My 35/36mpg was based on a run to Derry & back. It was a manual

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kings mistake

hey lads, i bought the car yesterday, got it for 13k. it's a beauty, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hey lads, i bought the car yesterday, got it for 13k. it's a beauty, thanks for the help!

Best of luck with it - check out www.bmw-driver.net - very handy forums there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Well done. You hava a cracking car. 170hp is known to be understated. I was told of 2 E39 523i's with the same engine were pushing out around 185bhp at the wheels on rolling roads, unmodded.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

A buddy bought one 2 years ago, he commutes to work can consist of medium type traffic...gets around 26 mpg, manual g/box.

Nice smooth power, great grip, 2.5 inline 6....looks really well

but (have to throw this in incase he is watching) my old likkle Civic VTi 4-door whipped it on a constant basis which killed him :)

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Well done. You hava a cracking car. 170hp is known to be understated. I was told of 2 E39 523i's with the same engine were pushing out around 185bhp at the wheels on rolling roads, unmodded.

Enjoy.
    have to agree, once it hits almost 4000rpm they take off. Mine was an animal in 3rd gear at that rpm and it was un-modded.

I cant imagine what it would be like with the smaller E46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have had 2 523i's, same engine as 323i. 1 was manual and 1 was tip. The manual averaged 31 mpg (37 mpg on a long run) the tiptronic averaged 24 mpg (27 mpg on a long run)

macnab wrote:
    I have had 2 523i's, same engine as 323i. 1 was manual and 1 was tip. The manual averaged 31 mpg (37 mpg on a long run) the tiptronic averaged 24 mpg (27 mpg on a long run)

:eek:

I think a photo is in order. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a long run to Derry is hardly a typical run.

An hour a day commuting/crawling would be much more like it. And I'd be shocked if it did more than 25mpg.

BTW - did you check out the car tax on it before you bought it??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement