Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Portable Jump Starter

Options
  • 31-03-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My battery has died again, for no apparent reason:mad: Does anyone know if one of these would be enough to start a transit? The last time I had a battery problem, it started fine when I jumped it off another car, the very second I turned the key it started, which is quicker than it usually does anyway.

Don't have the money to be paying a mechanic to fit a battery and I don't even know how much a battery is, so something like this would be a handy alternative, just keep it in the van in case it happens again.

I remember Aldi had these on special, does anyone else know where I could get one?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a portable starter will cost the same as a battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What if I could find a similarly cheap jump starter as in the ebay link? Less than €20 like, how much would a battery for a transit be:confused: How much to fit it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fitting the battery is a piece of cake. just a few nuts. The battery isn't gonna fix itself, it'll eventually wear out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    My battery has died again, for no apparent reason:mad: Does anyone know if one of these would be enough to start a transit? The last time I had a battery problem, it started fine when I jumped it off another car, the very second I turned the key it started, which is quicker than it usually does anyway.

Don't have the money to be paying a mechanic to fit a battery and I don't even know how much a battery is, so something like this would be a handy alternative, just keep it in the van in case it happens again.

I remember Aldi had these on special, does anyone else know where I could get one?

If your in the courier business then one of the last things you need is trouble from a dodgy battery in the van. The portable charger maybe a temporary fix but a new battery is more long term.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try get a battery sorted but the jumper would be quite handy if I ever needed it:)

This van is costing a whole lot more than I thought it would:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A portable starter is not an adequate solution as others have indicated and a decent one will cost more than having a new battery supplied and fitted in somewhere like Advance Tyres.

However, it's always handy to have 'difibrulator' as a standby for those days when you forget to turn of the stereo or the interior light or whatever. The only thong is - a portable jumper pack is really intended to be kept charged up - they go flat if not used. If you intend to leave it in the van then be sure to charge it from the mains once in a while to keep it topped up. A Transit has a relatively large battery so if the pack is anyway down on charge it may not be sufficient to start the van - especially if the engine is stone cold (glow period).

Cool, thanks for that info. Will look into getting a new battery so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

cormie wrote:
    Hi,

Are you sure its the battery thats the problem?
    Is it actually been charged? It might be a problem with the alternator.
    Do you drive with your lights on all the time? (As recommended for safety) If yes the battery might not be getting time to charge properly. Just drive for a day or two without lights and see if the van starts instantly each morning after that. (speaking from experience here)
    The portable jump starters are great but you do need a higher capacity one for diesels and bigger engines. They also take about 48 hours to fully charge from the mains, and need to be charged about every 3 months. But they are fab if you need them :)

Hi,
    Yes, since owning the van I've always driven with the lights on at all times. I've driven for hours at a time, down to Cork and back, and I posted here before about the morning after I drove to Cork, I tried to start it when I was in Cork and this it died on me then and I had to jump start it. Surely a 5 hour journey plus whatever time I was using it in Cork would have given sufficient charge:confused:

Is an alternator much more expensive than a battery?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:

Is an alternator much more expensive than a battery?

Yes - it is more expensive. Leaving you lights on while driving should have no significant detrimental effect on the battery. However, if you leave them on while the engine is off - while collecting/delivering - then it could be a contributing factor. Do get the alternator checked. There is no point in replacing the battery if the alternator is faulty.

crosstownk wrote:
    Yes - it is more expensive. Leaving you lights on while driving should have no significant detrimental effect on the battery. However, if you leave them on while the engine is off - while collecting/delivering - then it could be a contributing factor. Do get the alternator checked. There is no point in replacing the battery if the alternator is faulty.

it may not be significant but over time it does actually drain the battery. Turning off lights will be a help ...... but try doing some of your daytime driving with just the parking lights.

P.S. Dont Volvo have a upgraded electrical system to cater for daytime running lights?

Altreab wrote:
    it may not be significant but over time it does actually drain the battery.

P.S. Dont Volvo have a upgraded electrical system to cater for daytime running lights?

I don't think so. Once the engine is running it will put more load on the alternator.

If Volvo do have an upgrade then it's most likely an uprated alternator. But I thought all Volvos had daytime lights..................?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cormie, two words - Myles Balfe.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Cormie, two words - Myles Balfe.

Didn't have a clue who Myles Balfe is so google brought up two possible answers:

Type of Activity: Manufacturers Workforce: 1-10

MYLES BALFE LTD

Heading(s): Batteries

24-25 Phibsboro Rd Co Dublin Dublin 7 - IRELAND
    Tel: +353 (1) 830 75 44 - Fax: +353 (1) 830 78 25
    email

and the other was mentioning Myles Balfe sponsoring websites, maybe he coult sponsor me a brand spanking new van:D

I assume it would be inadvisable to get a battery from a scrap yard:confused:

Myles Balfe will test your alternator/battery, and can usually supply a reconditioned alternator from stock. Pretty sure they have (used to have?) a place on the southside too.

Not your ornery onager

Do they sell and fit batteries too, if it's not the alternator? :)

cormie wrote:
    Do they sell and fit batteries too, if it's not the alternator? :)

Yep. As colm said - fitting a battery is a piece of cake. You really should get into simple maintenance - it would save you some money, and could get you out of a hole sometime.

Not your ornery onager

Yeah, I'll have to get into it alright, especially going around in my bangers:D

I learned jump started my van for the first time today myself... Jumped it off a fiesta and it didn't work so some guy came along and said that I'd need to give it a while before trying to start the transit engine, waited a few mins and it worked:)

crosstownk wrote:
    I don't think so. Once the engine is running it will put more load on the alternator.

If Volvo do have an upgrade then it's most likely an uprated alternator. But I thought all Volvos had daytime lights..................?

I too thought the same as you ...it happens over a very long period of time. However i do drive without lights on during the day time now on the odd trip. Since i started doing this zero problems, and yes Volvo have standard daytime lights . And yes it is an upgraded Alternator :)

I would say to the OP to try driving a day or 2 without the lights on full ...and see what happens :)
    If still having problems then he will have to get the battery and alternator tested to sort the problem.

• Advertisement

I'll try that idea, anything to avoid paying for a new battery if I can:D

Does leaving the engine running recharge the battery fully and if so, how long would it take to fully charge it?

Would the a stereo/speakers on full volume in the van have equal draining on the battery as the headlights? Should I just bring my harmonica for the next few trips? :D

If the battery/charging system cannot support the lights and/or stereo on, then there is a problem. Driving with the lights on may have some detrimental effect on the battery - but it shouldn't flatten it in the space of a few hours.

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

After jumping it yesterday and leaving the engine running for about 5 mins with no stereo and no lights on when I got home, I tried it again just there and it wouldn't start again:mad:

This time it sounded different though, it gave a clicking sound and a loud sound like a pepper grinder when I turned the key and for some reason the needle on the odometer went up to about 20mph with the van stationary:confused:

Dude - just get the battery/charging system checked out before it totally wrecks your head!!! Do it on the cheap if you like and head for Advance Tyres or similar. The speedo jumping to 20 MPH is normal. Dash units do all sorts of crazy stuff when there is little power available, don't worry about it - it will be grand once you change the battery and/or alternator.

Arghhh!!
    Just tried jump it again but it's no use this time. There's a horrible crunching sound and there are some small sparks down the back of the engine, nowhere near the battery and it looks like something has slipped down a bit and it looks like there should be a bolt connecting the two things. Both pieces are marked as if it slipped down (i.e. grease and dirt the shape of the thing in front on the bit at the back.

This isn't my van, but the bit that's loose is pointed out in the pic below, well not the piece itself, but where abouts it is on my van!

We recorded what was happening but of course the Sony camera needs a special connection! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I can't afford a call out mechanic:( Don't even know if there are any around here.

fordtransitdiycheckingiis7.jpg

Could all this be because another part of the engine has lost a bolt? The engine can be quite rattly so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yesterdays "pepper grinder" was the starter ...the ticking is the solenoid trying to engage, the grinding is the grinding of gearwheels that have gotten out of sync.

Now you're talking about loosing things, bolts missing,etc ...sounds almost like you're shedding your starter motor.

Don't know enough about transit angines to tell you what to look at or what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What this and your other post now confirm is thst your battery is most likely alright but your starter is most likely goosed due to it working loose. Hopefully there are no broken teeth on the flywheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alan08

If you drive your car in 3rd gear at about 40 mhp it does a great job charging the battery, if the battery goes again within two weeks you should just go and buy a battery it saves you so much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Altreab wrote: »
    I too thought the same as you ...it happens over a very long period of time. However i do drive without lights on during the day time now on the odd trip. Since i started doing this zero problems, and yes Volvo have standard daytime lights . And yes it is an upgraded Alternator :)

I would say to the OP to try driving a day or 2 without the lights on full ...and see what happens :)
    If still having problems then he will have to get the battery and alternator tested to sort the problem.

Driving with your lights on has no detrimental effect on your battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

another old thread resurrected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement