Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTRA2Connect - 2 way Satellite Broadband Access

Options
  • 31-03-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭

(previously discussed on the IrelandOffline board)

The ASTRA2Connect - 2 way Satellite Broadband Access service was recently launched in Germany by broadband provider Filiago.
    ASTRA2Connect mainly targets homes in Germany and the rest of Europe which cannot easily get terrestrial or cable broadband internet services. The new product is currently offered by SES ASTRA on a wholesale basis to large European service providers such as telecommunication operators, internet service providers and broadband operators that target the residential and small enterprise markets.

The SES ASTRA press release states "SES ASTRA will introduce ASTRA2Connect in the very near future also in other European countries, where SES ASTRA is negotiating with several resellers".
    Does anyone know of any discussions with Irish providers?

In Germany the following access packages are available
    Flat 256 (256 kbit/s Download - 64 kbit/s Upload) €19.95 - €29.95 p/m
    Flat 512 (512 kbit/s Download - 96 kbit/s Upload) €29.95 - €39.95 p/m
    Flat 1024 (1024 kbit/s Download - 128 kbit/s Upload) €39.95 - €49.95 p/m
    (monthly rate dependant upon payment method Monthly-Quarterly-Yearly-2 Yearly)

Registration Fee €99.95
    Hardware can either be purchased for €319.95 or leased for €9.92 per month

24 month Min. Contract, No Data Limts, Ping 200ms, VoIP support
    Satellite Postition - ASTRA 1D 23.5° E, Transponder 106, frequency band URL="http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/enid/Frequency_Usage_Conditions/ASTRA2Connect_39f.html"]14.0–14.25 GHz (uplink) and 11.7–12.5 GHz (downlink)[/URL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ping 200ms,
    I love how every satellite provider comes up with ridiculous ping claims.
    With 2 way satellite it has to travel a 44000 mile round trip from earth to the satellite and back to earth and that doesn't count the extra distance it has to travel on earth to its destination. Ping times of 200ms are completely and utterly unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It is not yet relevent here as 23.5E does not give enough signal in Ireland.

A service in Ireland would need a different satellite. There is no discussion of providing such a service here in the near future. Thus a more expensive service is required due to lack of a specific Irish or Irish/UK transponder/beam such as 23.5E in Germany.
    This is the main provider here and I think in Italy:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_satellite_index.asp?i=3&i2=6&i6=31

We need to encourage the Government to remove barriers to true Broadband rollout. Satellite may provide Internet, but it is not real broadband. You can't host a server or play online games. CAP is also quite low.

A 700ms ping is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote:

This astra-ses site indicates that the Astra 1D footprint includes Ireland and for most of the country the signal can be received with an 75cm dish.

The ASTRA2Connect supplied equipment includes an 75cm dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I have installed I would say nearly 100 60cm dish's pointed for 23.5E all over Ireland for 1 way broadband without any problems?
    watty wrote:

A service in Ireland would need a different satellite. There is no discussion of providing such a service here in the near future. Thus a more expensive service is required due to lack of a specific Irish or Irish/UK transponder/beam such as 23.5E in Germany.
    This is the main provider here and I think in Italy:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_satellite_index.asp?i=3&i2=6&i6=31

We need to encourage the Government to remove barriers to true Broadband rollout. Satellite may provide Internet, but it is not real broadband. You can't host a server or play online games. CAP is also quite low.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the particular transponder and dish size used does not offer sufficient rain margin?

I don't know.

However the equipment is very competitive at nearly 1/3rd of previous systems and a 1/20th of price that two way sat used to be.

I'd hate for the Government to see this a solution for "universal broadband", like that you get this if your DSL fails. We'd never get good broadband.

Download only can use a smaller dish. The dish size limits the upload speed in two way satellite. Note the dish sizes on the Astra SES are for normal reception, not for uplink.

I'm obviously thinking of Astra 3A beam, in my original which does not reach Ireland at all, sorry.

For real TWO way:
    The 1D is indeed fairly good in Dublin but rapidly deteriorates toward the west coast, so one dish size would not do all of Ireland. Even by Athlone a 85cm would be needed for two way on 1D and 1M in Galway/Donegal/Kerry. 75cm will Work in Dublin. So selling this Nationwide in Great Britain is feasible but in Ireland it could be trickier.

Advertisement