Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Streaks Gah

• 31-03-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I used that johnsons tinted moisturiser yesterday, but it turned out a little streaky. Anything I can do to help reduce the streakiness??

And any advice on good fake tans or tinted moisturisers welcome thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

The new, Dove Summer Glow is really good, doesn't streak as much or easily as the Johnsons one does and there's a nicer scent from the Dove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

I normally just apply it as though its a normal fake tan and slap it on.Is it the one for fair skin or darker skin?because the one for darker skin streaks really bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Yeah i used the johnsons one before, the lighter tone one, and it never streaked on me, i did use a fair amount and rub in it good. Now i use the dove summer glow, that doesnt streak either, i find that its alot thicker and it doesnt have strong smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

To tone down current streaking, use a toner with some level of alcohol - clears it right up.

Good tips here

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:71azTc31Wr0J:beauty.about.com/cs/beautymistakes/a/self_tanning.htm+fake+tan+streaks&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

& here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3006244

Botanics from Boots do a good range of moisturisers that build up your colour gradually:
    Botanics Golden Glow Body Lotion &
    Botanics Golden Glow Facial Moisturiser SPF 12

Used use L'Oréal fake tan which gives a really good colour but it takes ages to dry in properly & has that fake tan smell - haven't used it in 3 years so it might have improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I posted this in another thread a few mins ago...Lancome Flash bronzer leg gel..i put it everywhere (incl face) and i think its great! Have used practically all the tans out there and i love it, dries quickly, doesnt have the fake tan smell and rarely (unlessed ive rushed) get streaks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Hey thanks a mill guys, your all so helpful!:D

Yeh i used the fair skin johnsons one, it didnt streak as bad as the dark one, but it still streaked bad! I left it to dry for ages aswell garr.

Anyway,I'll try each of these out. Cheers again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

mix it with some normal moisturiser before applying, it'll tone the orangeyness of it, plus your body will be amazingly soft :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

If you use a good moistureiser first and leave it for a little bit it will go on easier and less streaky, I use Coacoa butter, works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I used the johnson one to and It turned out really streaky!
    I use garnier one and dove now.There both really good.
    I am totally addicted to tinted moisurisers now though,specially with this hot weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It takes a while to get the technique correct. I've been doing it for years and still get streaks the odd time. Practice makes perfect sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

The johnsons one's really annoying, because it's moisturizer and you can't really do anything without it rubbing all over the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

A good tip is to make sure you exfoliate before you apply any tan. I used to get streaks but it's much easier to get a nice even tan if you exfoliate first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Also your ankles and knees are much drier than the rest of your legs and so absorb more product hence looking much darker/orangeier than the rest of your body. A good tip to sort this out is too slather them with moisturiser before putting on any fake tan as this will stop them absorbing as much cos they wont be as dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Put the tan on with a glove. Most Chemists have a glove specially for applying tan.

I have one from Sam MacCauleys, it cost around €5.00 and it makes applying tan really easy, without streaks and it has the added bonus of protecting your hands from the whole 'tantastic' look.

Any tan that I have used comes out streak free with this glove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Johnson's holiday skin is not as good as the Dove one, the Holiday skin takes forever to dry and flakes off if you touch it before its dry. The Dove one is dry within minutes and you don't need as much of it. And it leaves your skin really soft and smells much nicer. The Johnson's one feels kinda greasy and it smells bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

johnsons never streaked on me
    but i liked how the dove colour was visible much quicker and smelt nicer.
    it's also thicker and easier to apply. way less greasy.
    dove wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭leann

I agree, Dove Summer Glow is much nicer than Johnsons. I put it on every nite before bed on arms and chest and legs if im gonna wear a skirt and it looks lovely and natural the next morn after my shower. And it smells lovely. The Johnsons smell is much too strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I find the Nivea tinted moisturiser fantastic.
    Lovely shade, never streaks and a very good moisturiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It also helps if you have someone handy to do your back. I always have trouble getting there. I used Holiday Skin last year and had no trouble with it. I really loved the colour. Will have to give the Dove one a go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like the smell of the Johnsonns, I used it a lot in summer 2005 which was a pretty fab summer, so it brings back good memories for me :) But it is very strong so I can see why some people mightn't like it.

I made the mistake of ignoring my feet completely. Now my legs are lovely and brown and my feet are milky white >.< I'll have to try and balance them out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does the Dove one show up easily on legs? I have typical Irish legs - pale and pasty! I used the fair Johnson's one before and NOTHING happened. I've started using the darker one, and there's a colour, but it streaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

Faith wrote:
    Does the Dove one show up easily on legs? I have typical Irish legs - pale and pasty! I used the fair Johnson's one before and NOTHING happened. I've started using the darker one, and there's a colour, but it streaks.
    most of the time i use a stonger tan on my legs than on the rest of me which is usually a bit tanned anyway.

i tend to use the gradual tan on my arms, neck and chest regularly
    then bronze express on my legs, if i need it, so i can see where i am applying.

when i wake up my legs have caught up with the rest of me and no one knows the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I used the Dove one twice this week on totally milk-white skin and I can definitely see a bit of a glow already. It says on the back that you need to use it 5 times for a result, but I'd say 3 or 4 should definitely give you a little bit of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

Has anyone used Fake Bake? I got a spray done yesterday and it looks nice, but is a bit dirty looking in places.. It is a nice brown colour though, so I like it in that regard.

Would people recommend a spray or going to someone who applies by hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

The spray feels cool, i wouldnt like having someone have their hands all over me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

It would be strange alright, but I wouldn't mind if it looked good. Can you recommend anywhere that does decent sprays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

hot fuss wrote:
    It would be strange alright, but I wouldn't mind if it looked good. Can you recommend anywhere that does decent sprays?

In Dublin - Sun & Beauty on the quays beside the Hapenny Bridge (on top of Momo's and beside House of Colour)

They do St.Tropez spray on tan. I get it done every so often there and find it brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carolaryan

i've been using St Tropez, hasn't streaked on me yet, touch wood. i got a spray tan a while ago - disaster!!! it was fine a couple of hours after and the next day my skin looked like leather and no amount of scrubbing or moisturiser helped, one thing about it though, it did last for a week -unfortunately:(

Advertisement