Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox to play divx ?

Options
  • 31-03-2007 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Folks, complete novice here so forgive me !!

My brother got a 360 and passed on his old xbox to my son, we tried to play divx/avi movie files on it but it wont. Is there any software fix, im thinking along the lines of "insert disc" and sorted, but i think thats too good to be true. Any info would be much appreciated,by both me and an 8 year old game mad young fellow !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You need to mod the old xbox to enable you to run a media application like Xbox Media Center (XBMC).

You have two choices, softmod or tsop flash or modchip.

I would go with either a tsop flash or a modchip. I have 'cheapmods' which are a tenner, depends on the version of Xbox yea have though if yea can install it or not.
    A TSOP Flash (basically replacing the factory/MS bios code), no additional hardware needed. Draw back, yea can't role back to the original bios with ease. Again I have the bits and bobs to mod an xbox like this :)

In my mind its all easy but usually when yea know how. I see your in Limerick but if yea where around Dublin I would mod it for yea for nothin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kerbdog wrote:
    You need to mod the old xbox to enable you to run a media application like Xbox Media Center (XBMC).

You have two choices, softmod or tsop flash or modchip.

I would go with either a tsop flash or a modchip. I have 'cheapmods' which are a tenner, depends on the version of Xbox yea have though if yea can install it or not.
    A TSOP Flash (basically replacing the factory/MS bios code), no additional hardware needed. Draw back, yea can't role back to the original bios with ease. Again I have the bits and bobs to mod an xbox like this :)

In my mind its all easy but usually when yea know how. I see your in Limerick but if yea where around Dublin I would mod it for yea for nothin.

Thanks so much for the offer Kerbdog, but i dont venture to the big smoke all that often.... :D this "cheapmods" thingie...... how does that work ? is it just a disc ? I know my brother just put a disc in his 360 to be able to play old xbox games..... i think it would be easier to get him a cheap dvd player, although with wii, xbox, video recorder he has more home entertainment in his room than i have in mine !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

oleras wrote:
    Thanks so much for the offer Kerbdog, but i dont venture to the big smoke all that often.... :D this "cheapmods" thingie...... how does that work ? is it just a disc ? I know my brother just put a disc in his 360 to be able to play old xbox games..... i think it would be easier to get him a cheap dvd player, although with wii, xbox, video recorder he has more home entertainment in his room than i have in mine !

Well, a non-softmod option means yea gota open the xbox and get your hands dirty. If thats not your cup-o-tea best looks at softmodding or getting someone to do it for yea.
    it will be cheaper than a cheap divx dvd player and support more wierd encodes of divx/xvid and more. its not as easy as just popping in a dvd-r and sit back though

Advertisement