Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N93 and 3 Network

• 31-03-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've bought an unlocked N93 to use with my 3 SIM card. I've changed the settings so that I could access Planet 3 and this was fine for the first couple of days but now i can no longer connect and get a technical error message from 3. I ran them and they told me since it not a "3" phone it won't work (but hey it did for a couple of days). I seen on other forums that may be able to tell my phone is not a 3 phone and are blocking it??? Has anyone had a similar problem and possibily a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The solution is to switch to a real mobile network. 3 are jokers, at least that's been my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

didnt you only join them about 2 weeks ago weigi?

1huge1 wrote:
    didnt you only join them about 2 weeks ago weigi?

Yes. And they couldn't even get it working properly, hence my conclusion that they don't really know much about running a mobile network. I'll give them that they tried to be helpful, and they did say that they may have things fixed in a few months. They said this is because they're still "so new" (their words), so they're still trying to get things worked out or some such...

They also offered to send me another handset, which again while helpful, would not have resolved the issues. Again, it shows that they don't really know what they're doing.

Perhaps I'll consider giving them a second chance some day.

Oh, and when I ordered, the guy kept trying to sell me the N73, because it has 3.6 Mbps HSDPA. When I informed him that this was not the case, and the Nokia web site stated otherwise, he said Nokia's web site and specs are wrong, it does actually support HSDPA. 3 have a special deal or something, and the N73 they get from Nokia has HSDPA.

The only way I was able to get out of getting the N73 was by telling him I'm not interested in HSDPA.

Now it's possible I'm wrong, and 3 do have a special version of the N73 that does support HSDPA. But I really doubt it, given that there is no mention of this on Nokia's web site or official specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

No Urban, you're right, N73 doesnt support HSDPA.

The only variants that operators get, are software variants. They dont specifically engineer hardware variants per operator, to be honest that would be just plain stupid..

Customer care rep was wrong in saying this to you. Are you just one of these particularly unlucky customers? Did you have the same problems with previous operators?

To the OP: 3 do restrict handsets AFAIK, so you may be just unlucky in this case.

• Advertisement

Nope, I didn't have the same problems with previous operators. They seemed to be network related, since I tried putting the SIM card in a different 3G phone and the issues persisted, in particular not being able to get a GPRS connection at all (no packet connection allowed error), and in 3G areas, while I could connect to the internet, half the web sites I need to access wouldn't load. With an O2 or Vodafone SIM card in the same phone, it works perfectly.

After speaking to various people in customer service, I was told that the reason for the issues I was having is that they're still "so new" to the market, and as a result have not had time to tweak the security settings yet like the other networks. They said they're working on it, and will hopefully have it ironed out "in a few months".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Back to the original post - I've just bought an unlocked N80 and am looking to leave O2 - not a big fan of IMode. I was thinking 3's unlimited data package sounds fairly attractive but I've been told by a rep that you can only access their network with a 3 phone.

Can I confirm here that that's actually the case? Specifically, can they read the IMEI on my phone? Has anyone here done this apart from the original poster and got it to work out ok?

It's a shame that 3 don't provide the N80 themselves as I would have considered getting it from them if I could have.

Advertisement