Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pop3 port not blocked on 3 broadband add on

• 31-03-2007 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

Some people on this board were having problems accessing their pop email accounts using the 3 networks broadband add on.

The conclusion seemed to be that 3 had blocked the the pop port (110).

Somebody even said that a 3 customer support representative even confirmed it.

I am using a windows mobile device (not supplied by 3) and am having no problem downloading my pop email (or imap email) so the port is not blocked.

It must be either a case that 3 have the phones they supply setup to stop pop3 access or people are setting up their phones incorrectly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I retrieve my pop3 mail from Vodafone with no problems with my broadband SIM in a 6630. The problems arise when attempting to send mail -the only succesful SMTP appears to be that of 3ireland itself. I have tried Vodafone, .Mac and gMail and all have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Interesting. must try it on a wm device...
    I can assure you it doesn't work on a 3 branded N73 though and the settings are 100% accurate.
    I don't think the port is blocked. In fact I cannot figure it out really.
    However, 3 have acknowledged that they don't support pop/smtp on their handsets yet. This is from 3 seperate (and irate!) discussions I've had with them as well as an independent call back from an email I wrote to them from their online submissions form on their site.
    Whats their to support? Nothing. They will add it as a seperate email service down the line.. so um.. they are blocking something somewhere and it points to their handsets at the moment.

PS: leahcim, what email prog on your wm device are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It was blocked for me even when using a different, non-3 handset. I also could not connect to some of our web sites, so I had to return the phone for a full refund. They claimed it wasn't blocked, but "our security systems appear to be interfering, we don't know when this will be fixed". They later advised me that they may have a fix in a few months, but don't have a date.

Basically, I got the impression that they don't really know what they're doing.

The reason for the problems, they said, is that "we're still so new".

Very odd but very interesting development.... installed a freeware mail app to my jasjar and set up the same pop account I couldn't access on my N73..
    Hit send/receive and I can confirm that I just received a pop email message on my wm device!
    It didn't send the test email though so there is something up still with the smtp..

I'm confused because I don't know just how it accessed the server..
    At no time did it show as "connecting to the 3ireland apn" as it usually does when accessing the IE browser, wifi is off.. I don't quite know how it got there... but it did..

I'll keep messing with this to see if it will send
    strange...

UPDATE: SMTP working! using 3ireland apn - it "dials" into it at app launch and remains connected... Maybe its sorted for all phones?

Excellent

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like 3 have resolved whatever "conflict" existed with their security settings? This appears to be a new development.

Maybe they deserve another chance. Hmm.

Can someone verify pop/smtp access from a "3" handset?

Can someone test the above on an N73 or something?

Is pop/smtp accessible or not on a 3 handset?
    (via a separate mail app or whatever, not the services browser).

I have a feeling it may be only Windows Mobile handsets (yes daft as that may sound) but would love to be proved wrong by it working on a 3 handset, K800, N70, N73, Vxx etc etc.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I have a 3 supplied N73 at home. If nobody else responds I'll test pop access from it this evening.

Cheers leahcim. In the same boat. My N73 is at home and I'm away till next Thurs. Would be handy to know if it was "unblocked" or whatever across the board...

• Advertisement

I have my dataSIM in a 6630. When I use it for mail POP works fine, SMTP does not (unless I switch to the 3 SMTP).

However the GMail app works fine on it.

Curiously, when the same handset is used instead as a bluetooth modem I have no problems at all using other SMTPs on my MacBook.

Cheers culabula, data-sims are different though, thats probably why you have no issues using it as a BT modem.

Gmail app worked fine for both send and receive on my N73 also from the beginning using a reg sim with bb add-on.

Haven't got my N73 to hand but can confirm that pop and smtp work fine on my XDA exec using regular 3 sim.

I'm curious to know if this is a result of the WM rom, the fact that its on non 3 hardware, the software used to access the mail, or a combo of the three.

If the std (built in) mail app works on an N73 or N70 (or whatever 3 handset), it will mean that they have unblocked something or in some way made independent smtp possible.
    If it still doesn't work on a 3 handset...then its a WM thing..

Should really be the same though: the dataSIM offers pure mobile broadband 3000 and the add-ons are just the same mobile broadband on top. The 6630 that I am using is not a 3IRL handset but an ex-3UK one, unlocked.

WM?

WM = Windows Mobile (WM5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Just checked with my 3 network N73.

Pop and IMAP download is working fine.

I sent an email via my SMTP settings and the message was delivered with an address email FROM address of <my mobile number>@3mail.com

I then got a text from 3 saying I needed to register my email address with 3mail. I didn't investigate any further.

I looks like 3 has fixed whatever problems they were having with pop.

interesting... and that was using symbian built in mail app? smtp still screwed though.... how can you maintain a thread via email with someone on the go when the smtp is generated from 3. You get a mail on N73, you reply, the reply is generated from 3mail.com, the person receives it, hits reply and that mail is sent to xxxx@3mail.com.
    You would have to check both your own server mail AND 3 mail for replies. Confusing for both parties in the extreme and impossible to maintain throughput to your desktop.. for me its half solved but crucially not enough.
    Sticking to my aging wm device for now where both pop and smtp are smooth. thanks again for testing leahcim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is it not possible to specify a "Reply to" address in the mail setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

leahcim wrote:
    Just checked with my 3 network N73.

Pop and IMAP download is working fine.

I sent an email via my SMTP settings and the message was delivered with an address email FROM address of <my mobile number>@3mail.com

I then got a text from 3 saying I needed to register my email address with 3mail. I didn't investigate any further.

I looks like 3 has fixed whatever problems they were having with pop.

So is SMTP *only* working for WM devices? Or does it work for any devices as long as they are not 3 handsets?

Is it not possible to specify a "Reply to" address in the mail setup?
    I had to set up my outgoing smtp as well independently on the device. First time it wouldn't send my mail until I set that up.

@ caster, i have no idea, you'll have to try it on another "non 3" device. I can only speak from my experience.

Anyone care to support this supposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Sorry to drag up an old tread but is anyone having trouble getting encrypted (SSL) IMAP/SMTP working on 3?
    I'm using a N95 with the "unlimited" broadband add-on, it works fine when I use my WLAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It would appear that for the moment, 3's AP is providing open internet access, no ports being blocked. I suspect this was to allow MSN Messenger to work, and they just decided to leave the ports open. I am currently able to connect to the college server via SSH from my N73.

It would appear that for the moment, 3's AP is providing open internet access, no ports being blocked. I suspect this was to allow MSN Messenger to work, and they just decided to leave the ports open. I am currently able to connect to the college server via SSH from my N73.

Bill pay or prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Yea it turns out my internet access is just plain fecked, been on to support and they are going to deactivate and re-activate my "Unlimited" broadband add-on to try to fix it. It seems to have been caused by getting my old number ported to 3!

MrB wrote:
    Yea it turns out my internet access is just plain fecked, been on to support and they are going to deactivate and re-activate my "Unlimited" broadband add-on to try to fix it. It seems to have been caused by getting my old number ported to 3!

Kewl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well, I am on bill pay, with the broadband 100 add-on. I would imagine that datacard users also have unrestricted access, but I dont know about 3Pay.

Advertisement