Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    That may be the first time I've done paused Deadlifts. Didn't feel as bad as expected. I can see how they could potentially help - having to get the bar going from a weird position half way through the rep.

Pretty good for working on not losing form and correct positioning through the full range of motion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday Jan 11th: Ditched Sheiko & reset back to standard proven formula - Squat Day 1 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x5
    102kg - 1x4
    119kg - 1x3
    128kg - 1x0 ... supposed to be 3 but unracked the bar and couldn't be bothering continuing with Sheiko
    **reset back to standard program**
    80kg - 3x9 ... worksets of reset program

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x6
    ---
    Good Morning
    20kg - 3x8
    ---

Worked up to 2nd or 3rd last Sheiko Squat warm up of 128kg x3 where I unracked the bar but didn't feel like Squatting it. Didn't feel motivated for the super long Sheiko sessions and all the messing about changing plates so many times during workout. It breaks concentration. I prefer to my in the gym on autopilot and zoned out vs. messing about with so much distraction.

Perfer to just have a weight on the bar and get on with it for multiple sets across. So, I'm ditching Sheiko & switching back to my tried and trusted starting at low weight.

Cannot fit in the super long 2hr+ sessions either. Much prefer to train more often for shorter durations.

Maybe I'll revisit Sheiko at some time in the future - but now is not that time.

Need to put back on a stack of weight. Lost so much recently. Down to 81kg. Left rib sore from belt crushing it - probably with the weight loss and it not fitting properly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday January 12th: Bench Day 1 of 12

Bench (paused)
    70kg - 6x6

Chin Up
    3x6

Band Pull Aparts
    ~3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    DB Military Press
    12kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Reset Bench to start my typical 6 set/6 week/12 day progression with 70kg 6x6.

Sunday January 14th - Squat Day 2 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x7

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x6
    ---
    DB RDL
    12kg per arm - 3x10 ... kinda awkward
    ---

Done in 30 mins including warm up, worksets and shower.

My Squatting form feels very different with the weight loss - different path & feeling like I can hit rock bottom without various bodily bits getting in the way.

Monday January 15th: Bench Day 2 of 12

Bench (paused)
    75kg - 6x5

Barbell Row
    75kg - 6x5
    ---

Bench and Rows.

• Advertisement

Wednesday January 17th: Deadlift Day 1 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    100kg +16kg chains - 3x8
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    60kg 3x6
    ---
    Military Press (behind the neck)
    30kg - 3x8
    ---

The BTN Military Press feels nice and different.

Thursday January 18th - Squat Day 3 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 3x5

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x6
    ---

Squats & abs.

Friday January 19th: Bench Day 3 of 12

Bench (paused)
    80kg - 6x4
    **add slingshot**
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x3 ... fine

Barbell Row (underhand)
    80kg - 3x8

Chin Up
    3x4
    ---
    Band Pull Aparts
    ~3x10

Pec Stretch (lying on bench face up)
    twice - 2kg per arm
    ---
    DB Press
    12kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    24kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Some Bench and assistance.

Did the Barbell Rows underhand for variety.

Added back in slingshot and DB pressing which both felt good.

Went swimming after. Feeling the cold water a lot more in my leaner less insulated frame.

Saturday January 20th - Squat Day 4 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x3

Ab Wheel (knees)
    x6, x7, x8
    ---
    Good Morning
    30kg - 3x8
    ---

Squats & Abs superset before finishing off with some Good Mornings.

Tuesday January 23rd: Bench Day 4 of 12

Bench (paused)
    85kg - 6x3

Barbell Row
    85kg - 3x6

Pull Up (behind the neck)
    3x3
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    30kg - 3x10

DB Military Press
    22kg per arm - 3x6
    ---

First mini wave of bench complete with that day 4 above. Weight is light and just getting some blood flowing before building back up in the coming weeks/months.

Did the Pull Ups behind the neck for variety. Hopped head off the door frame doing this on the first set. Was more careful afterwards.

Curls and DB press assistance at the end.

• Advertisement

Wednesday January 24th: Deadlift Day 2 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    110kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... double over
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    65kg 3x6
    ---
    31kg - 3x8
    ---

Give podcast listening a break & started listening to Iron Maiden. Never got around to them before. Googled "best Iron Maiden album" and the web tells me "PowerSlave". Exactly my type of music with the riffing guitars. Reminds me I need to play more and get back to gigging.

Training was fine. Light and getting blood pumping.

Friday January 26th - Squat Day 5 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x9

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x6
    ---
    Good Morning
    35kg - 3x8
    ---

Started the 2nd of the 3 mini waves within the Squat cycle. Fine. Enjoyed the hamstring stretch on the GMs.

Saturday January 27th: Bench Day 5 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 6x6 ... very light

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 3x6

Chin Up (behind the neck)
    3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    30kg - 3x10

Pec Stretch
    2kg per arm - 3x~15 secs
    ---

Some light bench which was super easy as it should be as I started this cycle significantly light, plus its early days (5 of 12).

Enjoyed the DB Bench assistance plus did One Arm DB Rows a bit heavier. Getting back into doing these for variety (above and beyond Chins & BB Rows).

Monday January 29th - Squat Day 6 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 3x7

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x8
    ---

Morning Squats whilst sipping 3l of full fat milk.

Tuesday January 30th: Bench Day 6 of 12

Bench (paused)
    80kg - 6x5
    **add slingshot**
    91kg - 1x3
    101kg - 1x3
    111kg - 1x3 ... fine

Barbell Row (overhand)
    80kg - 3x5

Chin Up
    3x5
    ---
    DB Curl
    12kg per arm - x8, x10, x12

DB Press
    12kg per arm - x8, x10, x12
    ---
    Band Pull Aparts
    ~6x10

Pec Stretch (lying on bench face up)
    thrice - 2kg per arm
    ---

Day 6 of 12 Bench 80kg 6x5 which is light, superset with two different back exercises (BB Rows & Chins).

Added some slingshot at the end to keep the feeling of heavy weight in mind.

Various assistance at the end.

Thursday February 1st: Deadlift Day 3 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... mixed grip
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    70kg 3x6
    ---
    32kg - 3x8
    ---

End of the week & enjoyed the above which was the following increases on last week:
    +10kg Deadlift
    +5kg Fat Grip
    +1kg Military Press

Friday February 2nd - Squat Day 7 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x5

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x8 ... concentrating on keeping tension on abs by focusing on extended range of motion
    ---

It was late in the evening and I was knackered so could have vegetated and went to bed. Will power kicked in and I went into the gym to get the Squats/Abs above. Went beltless & wrist wrapless as it was light.

Saturday February 3rd: Bench Day 7 of 12

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x4 ... alrighty

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x4 ... fine
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 3x10

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    3x6 ... lats/biceps knackered here from the BBRs beforehand.
    ---
    Overhead Press (DB)
    12kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curls
    30kg - 3x8 ... biceps in bits from BBRs and Chins so these were tough
    ---
    Pec Stretch
    2kg per arm - 3x~15 secs

Rev Fly (DB)
    2kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

That was good.

Went swimming after pumped to the max.

Monday February 5th - Squat Day 8 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x3

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x10
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10
    ---

Squats were alright. No belt or wrist wraps: 120kg 3x3. Probably should have done a drop set for the sake of volume but was sidetracked with work.

Not sure if my Good Mornings are more like Good RDLing. Whatever they were they made my legs feel good.

Tuesday February 6th: Bench Day 8 of 12

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8

Bench (paused) ... assuming hotel bar = 20kg ... but it was probably 15kg
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 6x3
    ---
    Lat Pull Down (machine)
    3 sets ascending weight - x12, x10, x8

Shoulder Press (machine)
    3 sets ascending weight - x12, x10, x8
    ---
    Pec Fly (machine)
    3 sets ascending weight - 3x10

Rev Fly (machine)
    3 sets ascending weight - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    25kg - 3x10

Pec Stretch
    3 x ~15 secs
    ---

Think that was it. Did the Bench assuming bar is 20kg which it probabably isn't Program called for 90kg 6x3 but rounded it up to 100kg for superhero status in the hotel gym. Couldn't be bothered messing with change plates and just horsed on 2 plates a side.

Weighed in at exactly 80kg last night. The scales flickered to 79.9kg and I nearly had a heart attack. Eating up as I type cos this weight loss gotta stop now.

Did a heap of assistance for pump/growth.

• Advertisement

Friday February 9th: Deadlift Day 4 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    130kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... mixed grip
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    75kg 3x6
    ---
    33kg - 3x8
    ---

Took an extra day off. Was in bits following the over exuberant bench a couple days back.

Increases on last week:
    +10kg Deadlift
    +5kg Fat Grip
    +1kg Military Press

Saturday February 10th - Squat Day 9 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 3x9

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x9
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10
    ---

Some early morning Squats with a couple litres of full fat milk.

Good mornings felling good to stretch out the hammies. Legs shivering at the end.

81kg this morning after breakfast.

Sunday February 11th: Bench Day 9 of 12

Decline Bench (paused) ... assuming hotel bar = 20kg ... but it was probably 15kg
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6

Reverse Fly
    2kg per arm - 6x8
    ---
    Chin Up (parallel grip)
    +20lbs - 1x6
    +10lbs - 1x6
    bodyweight - 1x6

Shoulder Press (DB, standing)
    45lbs - 1x10
    35lbs - 1x10
    25lbs - 1x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    60lbs - 5 or 6x10

Tricep Pushdown
    5 or 6 ascending sets of 20 reps each up to ~70lbs
    ---
    Incline DB Bench
    3 ascending DB sets of 10 reps I think
    ---

The upholstery was missing from the flat bench in the hotel gym - so did 6x6 on decline bench which felt weird. First time doing bench in ages. Abs pretty sore from the decline lat pull over I had to do to get it out of the rack at a slightly too far away setting on the bench which mean I was almost trying to decline situp the weight out. Abs still aching from it the next day as I type.

Went on to do a heap of direct arm work with much bis & tris.

Think the DBs were in lbs not kgs. Cannot remember half the weights. Moral of the story: Bench was banjacked so did decline... then a heap of reps to amuse myself on various bodybuilding type assistance.

Tuesday February 13th - Squat Day 10 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x7

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x7
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x8

Lunge
    40kg - 3x5 per leg
    ---

Felt stronger for the first time in about 2.5 months. Squats felt easy beltless. The Good Mornings are great for hammies and Lunges for some additional Quad/Glute.

Wednesday February 14th: Bench Day 10 of 12

Bench (paused) ... assuming hotel bar = 20kg ... but it was actually 17kg I found out at the end
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x5

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8 ... out of the Decline Bench rack lol
    ---
    Pull Up
    bodyweight 5x5

Shoulder Press (DB standing)
    50lbs per arm - 5x5
    ---
    Pec Deck thing with cables and two stacks (standing)
    heaps of sets of 5 up until ~41kg per stack, then a few back off sets
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    10lbs per arm - 3x8-10

Pec Stretch
    10lbs per arm - x thrice for ~15 secs each
    ---
    Concentration Curl
    20lbs per arm - 3x5
    15lbs per arm - 3x5
    10lbs per arm - 3x5
    ---

Bench & Barbell Rows followed by some bodybuilding.

Used the weighing scales and found out the bars weight 17kg instead of 20kg.

Friday February 16th: Deadlift Day 5 of 6

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    140kg - 3x6 ... mixed grip & possibly a beltless PR

34kg - 3x8
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    80kg 3x6
    ---

Was in bits from over doing it with assistance on the Bench a couple days ago but forced myself to Deadlift. Got through it fine and now can rest for a day before Squats on Sunday.

Went beltless on the Deadlift for a challenge. Was originally planning 3x8 + 16kg chains on 140kg, but since it is day 5 of 6 I thought I'd better move towards a peak rather than flattening myself with volume that may impede the last week of Squats coming up.

Have gone beltless on everything for the past 5 weeks, so will finish off the 6th week coming up in the same fashion.

Sunday February 19th - Squat Day 11 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x5 ... workset
    100kg - 1x10 ... drop set

Ab Wheel (knees, two separate handles)
    3x10
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10

Leg Ext (two legs together)
    +0kg - 1x20
    +10kg - 1x20
    +20kg - 1x20
    ---
    Leg Curl (standing, machine, single leg)
    +0kg - 1x10
    +10kg - 1x10
    +5kg - 1x10
    ---

Some good Squat & assistance. Tried out new gym that I have access to with work. Its perfect for the powerlifting stuff (i.e. bars, plates... plus some bodybuilding machines). Beltless Squats to 120kg 3x5 felt fine. Added some volume with 100kg drop set. Quads nicely DOMs'd from that plus the leg ext/leg curl as I type this the next day.

Possibly one of the better views I've ever had from a gym.

Monday February 20th: Bench Day 11 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 6x4

Face Pull (band)
    6x10
    ---
    Lat Raise
    Triset of three exercises for something like 10 reps per each of the 9 sets dropping weight from 6kg to 4kg to 2kg
    ---
    Concentration Curl
    6kg - 3x8 per arm ... too light to feel anything
    ---

Some quick Benching. Did lighter assistance (i.e. Face Pulls instead of usual Barbell Rows) as was pretty sore from Squats the day before.

Found an interesting Lateral Raise Tri-set somewhere on Defranco channels. Medial delts on fire after these.

Wednesday February 21st - Squat Day 12 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    130kg - x1 before failing on second rep
    130kg - 3x3 ... workset & ties my beltless PR triple
    110kg - 1x10 ... drop set

Ab Wheel (knees, two separate handles)
    3x8
    ---
    Lunges
    40kg - 3x5

Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10
    ---

Squats were quite ok considering that failed/dumped the first time on 2nd rep of the initial triple. Got stuck a few inches out of the hole. Perhaps due to lack of tightness without the belt... or perhaps trying to high bar it too much.

Stuck in the hole for a few seconds and then did my first every funny hop forward to dump the bar backwards ala CWS. Didn't realise it at the time but got a nice cheese grater style mark down one side of my back where it dug in on the free fall down. Bar didn't snap with the 130kg on it - which was nice.

Jacked the safeties up a notch for the next sets and got through them no problem for 3x3.

Finished off with a 110kg dropset for 10 reps before the Lunges & Good Morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    Found an interesting Lateral Raise Tri-set somewhere on Defranco channels. Medial delts on fire after these.

Shoulder Shocker?

Front raises, lateral raises, clean and press

Advertisement