Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Shoulder Shocker?

Front raises, lateral raises, clean and press

No, a different one that Defrano recently ran Triple H though:

Three rounds of the below for high reps:

1) Lateral Raise - 1 arm at a time alternating
    *straight into*
    2) Lateral Raise - both arms but one up/one down ... offset
    *straight info*
    3) Lateral Raise - both arms as per normal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    No, a different one that Defrano recently ran Triple H though:

Three rounds of the below for high reps:

1) Lateral Raise - 1 arm at a time alternating
    *straight into*
    2) Lateral Raise - both arms but one up/one down ... offset
    *straight info*
    3) Lateral Raise - both arms as per normal

DeF knows how to burn your shoulders out of it.

His little addition to the Cuban Press makes it killer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday February 23rd: Bench Day 12 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 6x3 ... easy worksets to round off this 6 week cycle
    75kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    65kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    60kg - 1x10 ... close grip

Bent Over DB Row (fat gripz, light...)
    4kg or 6kg per arm - 6x10 ... just some light stuff for blood flow to back

Face Pull (band)
    3x10
    ---
    DB Hammer Curl
    12kg - 3x10 per arm alternating
    ---

Peaked this bench cycle with a lot of light stuff. That 6 weeks flew by. Intentionally kept the whole cycle light and peaking with 6x3 20kg under my best target peak from 4 months ago (95kg now vs 115kg around Oct 2017). Too much stuff going on outside of gym to push hard on training the past couple of months. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and keep the training going on the backburner whilst pushing forwards in other areas of life.

Have been all over the Middle East in the past couple of months with work. Think I'm up to either 58 or 59 countries now. These travels, as per usual, puts a spanner in my usually well oiled training plans... meaning you're never sure when you'll see a Squat rack, Bench or 20kg bar.

Think I'm getting settled now, so once I finish Deadlifts tomorrow I'll up the weight on everything a bit for the next 6 week cycle. I can then start pushing back towards where I was in Oct last year. Hoping to be back up to where I was in another couple of 6 week cycles. All eyes on you, June 2018.

Saturday February 24th: Deadlift Day 6 of 6

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    150kg - 3x5 ... beltless PR for 5s... mixed grip

Military Press (behind the neck)
    35kg - 3x10
    ---
    Fat Grip Deadlift
    85kg 3x3
    ---
    Lat Raise
    Triset of three exercises for something like 10 reps per each of the 9 sets increasing weight from 0.5kg to 1kg to 2kg per arm
    ---

Cycle finished successfully with a beltless PR of 150kg 3x5. Felt alright. Did the whole cycle on Squats & Deads beltless so happy enough finishing with 130kg 3x3 and 150kg 3x5 respectively.

Monday February 26th - Squat Day 1 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x9 ... worksets ... handy
    70kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10

Lunge
    40kg - 3x6 per leg
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x10
    ---
    Leg Curl (machine)
    4 sets ascending ... getting the hang of the settings
    ---
    Leg Press
    4 sets ascending ... from light to still light
    ---

Got a great leg pump. Was gonna train in the work gym but it was mysteriously closed so forlornly opted for the hotel gym which never had a Squat rack in the past. Low and behold I walked in to bench (as a back up for not being able to Squat) and there was a new Squat rack staring back at me! Got it done.

• Advertisement

Tuesday February 28th: Bench Day 1 of 12

Bench (paused) ... assuming bar is 20kg... but its actually 17kg
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6 (i.e. actually 77kg)

Inverse Row (on smith machine)
    6x10
    ---
    Chin Up
    +15 lbs DB - 3x6

DB Shoulder Press (standing)
    50lbs per arm - 3x6
    ---
    DB Concentration Curl
    3x5 per arm alternating

DB Rev Fly
    3x5
    ---

Some quick lunchtime bench and assistance. Works up that I'm starting this cycle 7kg up on the last one (as bar is 17kg vs 20kg).

Wednesday February 28th - Squat Day 3 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 3x7... worksets ... fine
    80kg - 1x10 ... dropset ... fine
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise (frame)
    bodyweight - 3x10
    + some light bar - 1x10
    + some slightly less light bar - 1x10
    + some light bar - 1x10
    bodyweight - 1x10
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x10
    ---

Squats were quite easy. Enjoying the high reps and dropsets back in the program. I believe this is how I previously built up my Squat/legs.... lots of reps.

45 degree back raise assistance was nice way to hit the hamstring and erectors for a change. Noticed it sitting there in the corner by the water fountain and it a whirl for a number of 10 rep sets. Feeling the hams on fire as I type the next day.

I probably need to vary the Ab work as the wheel on knees is quite easy now. Will start trying to do it form standing perhaps.

Someone told me I look like a swimmer :pac: I take it that means I'm kinda scrawny/lean to the general eye.

Friday March 2nd: Bench Day 2 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x5 ... worksets ... fine
    65kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    50kg - 1x10 ... close grip

Bent Over DB Row (fat gripz, light...)
    6kg per arm - 6x10
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg - 3x10

Cuban Press (band)
    3x10
    ---
    DB Lying Tricep Ext
    6kg per arm - 3x10 ... too light

DB Concentration Curl
    6kg per arm - 3x10 per arm alternating ... too light
    ---

Bench worksets easy as they should be: 85kg paused 6x5.

Superset the above with light DB Row stuff as hamstrings in bits from 45 degree raise the other day. Couldn't face doing Barbell Rows. Would have snapped hamstrings clean off!

Various other bodybuilding things after: DB Bench plus some "getting used to" exercises with light DBs.... the lying triceps and concentration curls. Will up the weight on those next time. Just getting the motor pattern engrained.

Saturday March 3rd: Deadlift Day 1 of 6

Deadlift (conventional, beltless, against bands)
    100kg - 3x8 ... double overhand

36kg - 3x10
    ---
    Fat Grip DB Walk
    22kg per arm - 6, 8, 10, 20 lengths of room
    ---

First time ever Deadlifting against bands. Did it for variety as the past year or so of Deadlifting has always been the first half of the cycle against chains. Felt a bit different. Who knows how much they add at the top.

Military Press BTN was the superset with above.

Finished off with some Fat Grip DB Walks. Mat area is 2.7m... so shuttled back and forth on it for the lengths documented above. Forearms pumped by the end. Did these as an alternate to Fat Grip Deads... just for a change.

Sunday March 4th - Squat Day 3 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x5 ... worksets ... easy... video'd first and second sets
    90kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---
    Good Morning
    50kg - 3x10
    ---
    Ab Wheel (toes out, knees in)
    3x~5-6
    ---
    Leg Press
    3 sets ascending ... from 100kg to 127kg
    ---

Squats were easy. Video'd some sets for the gram for the first time in a while.

Decided to ratchet up the Ab Wheel difficulty so did them from standing on the way out, and then on knees on way back in again. I reckon that once I get the ab strength up a notch it will unlock bigger lifts all around. Standing ab wheel is the next target on the way to these 3 lift gains.

Good Mornings - first time doing them up to 50kg. Didn't feel much heavier than 40kg. I remember some article on them where someone (Date Tate or Jim Wendler) were saying to try get the most out of 60kg rather than going too heavy..... so I'm almost there.

Finished off with some Leg Press for the pump.

• Advertisement

Monday March 5th: Bench Day 3 of 12

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5

Bench (paused) ... assuming bar is 20kg... but its actually 17kg
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 6x4
    60kg - 1x10 ... close grip from here down
    50kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    ---
    Pull Up
    +20 lbs DB - 3x6
    ---
    DB Concentration Curl
    30 lbs per arm - x8, x6, x4
    20 lbs per arm - x10
    ... plus one other set of curls with the parallel bar frame
    ---
    Suspension Thing
    Rows - 3x5
    Press - 3x5
    ---

Benching.

Wednesday March 8th - Squat Day 4 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x3... worksets ... fine
    100kg - 1x10 ... dropset ... fine
    ---
    Good Morning
    50kg - 3x10

Split Squat
    50kg - 3x6 per leg
    ---
    bodyweight - 1x10
    + 50lbs bar on back - 3x6
    ---
    Leg Ext (machine)
    light weight for the burn - 5x15 ... ouch - quads on fire after this
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees up on way out, back in on knees)
    3x6
    ---
    Swimming 4 x32m lengths and then lying down relaxing
    ---

Some legs followed by swimming in a super warm pool.

Friday March 9th: Bench Day 4 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 6x3 ... worksets ... fine

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 1x10
    24kg per arm - 1x10
    26kg per arm - 1x10
    22kg per arm - 1x10
    ---
    Pec Stretch
    3x~15 secs - 1kg per arm

Rev Fly
    3x10 - 1kg per arm
    ---
    Pull Aparts (band)
    3x10

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    3x5
    ---

Some Benching 95kg 6x3 which was fine, before some bodybuilding for the pecs with DBs.

Did 12,993 steps, 20km cycle and 250m swim - as part of a corporate work challenge which lasts 100 days. Currently on about day 10. Cycling gives you 1/3 credit to steps. Swimming gives you quadruple credit to steps.

Saturday March 10th: Deadlift Day 2 of 6

Deadlift (conventional, beltless, against bands)
    120kg - 3x8 ... mixed grip after first 3 reps on first set

40kg - 3x10
    ---
    Fat Grip DB Walk
    5 L shaped sets around the garden with 22kg per arm. For recovery between each set I walked the same distance without weight.
    ---

Those banded Deadlifts felt particularly heavy at the top. Had to switch to mixed grip after three reps on the first set which was surprising.

Did 12,993 steps, 20km cycle and 250m swim yesterday - so potentially a bit knackered from that.

Enjoyed the fat grip DB walks around the garden. Forearms on fire after these.

Sunday March 11th - Squat Day 1 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 3x9 ... worksets
    80kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---

Kept the assistance to a minimum as this corporate step challenge has me wrecked. Got a bit of fever / dry cough which has me feeling weak. Thought I had recovered the night before these Squats but felt horrendous the next day before doing them. Thought I was gonna pass out on the way to the rack. Had a couple of paracetemol and all was good in the deep dark wood.

Monday March 12th: Bench Day 5 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x6 ... worksets ... fine
    50kg - 3x10 ... close grip

Pull Up
    bodyweight - 6x5
    ---
    Seated Machine Row
    light/moderate - 3x10
    ---

Some handy benching with minimal assistance.

Wednesday March 14th - Squat Day 6 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x7 ... worksets
    90kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    80kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    70kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    60kg - 1x10 ... drop set

Ab Wheel (knees off ground)
    3x5
    ---

Handy enough Squats on 110kg 3x7 before a heap of dropsets and milk for growth.

Did the Ab Wheel with the squat rack limiting the final 10% to avoid face plant when knees off ground. Building up towards doing a full from standing roll-out.

Friday March 16th: Bench Day 6 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 6x5 ... worksets

Barbell Row
    90kg - 3x5 ... with straps
    60kg - 3x10 ... double underhand for variety
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Rowh
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Took it slowly doing the benching. Probably spent 90 mins just chilling and getting through it. Weight was fine.

Went heavier on the first three sets of barbell rows for the upper back growth. Used straps so not to have to worry about grip. Then reduced weight and concentrated on underhand form to get a slight bit more range of motion.

Drank a few litres of full fat milk during it.

Saturday March 17th: Deadlift Day 3 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    140kg - 3x8 ... mixed grip

41kg - 3x10
    ---
    Fat Grip DB Walk
    6 or 8kg per arm - 1 sets of ~40 secs
    22kg per arm - 2 sets of ~30 secs
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10

Band Pec Stretch
    3x~10
    ---

Didn't bother doing the Deadlifts against bands because frankly they are hard! Much harder than against chains. Not sure what the resistance as the top was - but it was too heavy in the first couple of weeks for the early days of a cycle against 100kg and 120kg respectively for 3x8s. Today I went with 140kg 3x8 straight weight which felt lighter than the first two weeks!

Added 1kg to the BTN Military Press. Was feeling a bit tight during first set so hooked up the bands high off the ER Rack and found a new good pec stretch which involves leaning away from rack with hands being pulled backwards whilst you simulate doing a lat pull down from the top of a Military Press type moment. A few sets of 10 on this and pecs were feeling nicely stretched out. Much less aggressive on the joints versus my usual pec stretch technique of lying at the extended position of a pec fly with plates in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why do you drink so much milk as you lift?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

He doesn't want to wind up at Accrington Stanley.

He doesn't want to wind up at Accrington Stanley.

Ye may elaborate on that Alf

Ye may elaborate on that Alf

Surely you remember that milk ad.

Surely you remember that milk ad.

Haha I could say I’m not old enough to remember that, but I am, I don’t remember that ad. Probably because I’m too old!

During the weeks: I spend a lot of time ping ponging around various Middle Eastern countries with work. This impacts choice, availability & knowledge of where to get proper food at ideal timings. Whenever I find some place that sells full fat milk I grab it as an easy source of calories, protein and fat. For example - last night I Squat at the hotel & then went out and bought 2x1 litres of full fat milk. I drank one on the spot and saved the other for Bench workout the next day.

When I'm home at weekends I drink full fat milk during training as I couldn't be bothered with protein shakes (bad memories of the money down the drain when I dumped ~10kg of protein powder when I was leaving Australia for the Middle East about 15 months ago).

My greatest strength gains came about when I dropped protein shakes and stuck to food. Milk is convenient. As long as you include a bit of cardio (e.g. swimming, some walking) you can avoid gaining too much fat.

I also like milk and find its the best way to patch my diet when I'm feeling underweight. Right now I'm trying to gain weight - so... full fat milk :)

Sunday March 18th - Squat Day 7 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x5 ... worksets
    100kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    80kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    60kg - 1x10 ... drop set

3x5
    ---
    Calve Raise (Barbell out of Squat rack, on wooden step)
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    ---
    3x10 ... I love these. Hams burning after

Some beltless 120kg 3x5 Squats which were a bit ropey considering the Deadlift DOMS from yesterday. Ideally would have at least a day off in between but c'est ca. Followed up with 3 sets of 10 rep dropsets for growth.

Ab Wheel with knees off ground feeling a bit more comfy - but still tough.

Finished off with some calves (for first time in years) and 45 degree back raise which hits the hams up high where they tie into glutes (vs down low by knee on the ham curl).

Monday March 19th: Bench Day 7 of 12

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 6x4 ... worksets & fine
    50kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    40kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    30kg - 1x10 ... close grip
    20kg - 1x10 ... close grip

Pull Up
    bodyweight - 6x4
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x10

Standing DB Tricep Ext
    15 lbs per arm - 3x10
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press (standing)
    35lbs per arm - 3x5
    ---

Bench and Barbell Row supersets done in 18 mins which was good considering the 12 set total.

The rest was some quick bodybuilding. Triceps fried the next day as I type this.

Traps also were on fire from the DB Overhead Press. Potentially still DOMS'd from the heavy strapped Barbell Rows the other day.

Wednesday March 21th - Squat Day 8 of 12

Squat (beltless)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 3x3 ... worksets
    110kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    90kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    70kg - 1x10 ... drop set

3x5-6
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---

Squats were fine. Worked up to worksets of 130kg 3x3 beltless before dropping off in 10 rep dropsets subtracting 10kg all the way down from 110kg to 90, then 70kg.

Keeping the Ab Wheel going with knees off ground. Getting a bit more manageable.

Finished off with 45 Degree Back Raise for the lowerback and hams. Nice stretch.

Friday March 23rd: Bench Day 8 of 12

Barbell Row
    20kg - 3x10

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 6x3 ... worksets
    ---
    DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl (fat gripz)
    8kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets on 100kg 6x3 were fine. Flew through them in just about 20 mins.

Purposefully excluded Barbell Row supersets today as back is getting a hammering from all the beltless Squats and need to be a bit fresher for the final 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Saturday March 24th: Deadlift Day 4 of 6

Deadlift (conventional)
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 1x2
    160kg - 3x6 ... mixed grip

Band Pec Stretch
    3x~10

42kg - 3x10
    ---
    Fat Grip DB Walk
    8kg per arm - 1 sets of ~30 secs
    22kg per arm - 2 sets of ~20 secs
    ---

Deadlift 160kg 3x6 for the heaviest this year. Rebuilding.

The Military Press supersets felt particularly easy after the nervous system was slapped in the face from the Deads.

Just did some quick Fat Grip DB walks to finish off.

Advertisement