Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You reckon that’d give you a 20kg jump on your bench press though?

When I benched 120kg in comp in Sept on second attempt I had tripled 117kg in training the week beforehand. That 120kg was easy in that comp too. Failed 125kg on third probably due to rushing it.

I had also benched 125kg paused in the home gym previously.

So 140kg is not super aggressive goal if I put on 6kg bodyweight.

Feel free to chase me at the end of the year to keep me accountable :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Wednesday January 9th: Deadlift Day 5 of 6 and Bench Day 11 of 12

Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    150kg - 1x1
    170kg - 1x6 ... handy enough and a 5kg PR
    ---
    Lying Face Down DB Row on Bench
    12kg per arm - 8x10
    ---
    Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    110kg - 4x4 ... alrighty
    ---
    DB Curl
    12kg per arm - 3x5

DB Shoulder Press
    12kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Happy with that session. Deadlift PR and good weight moved on the Bench. Both manageable. The reduction in training volume in recent days is helping with the peak.

Monday January 14th: Squat Day 11 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x1
    140kg - 1x5
    100kg - 2x5

Ab Wheel
    3x8
    ---
    Lunges (barbell)
    20kg (i.e. just the bar) - 2x8 per leg
    ---
    Leg Press
    3 ascending sets
    ---
    Leg Extension
    3 ascending sets
    ---
    Leg Curl
    3 ascending sets
    ---

Training at hotel gym with weird Squat rack. Couldn't wedge under and no clearance from super wide rack pins. Whole thing was a lot of hassle and added like 10% to the weight as dodgy setup and lots of energy wasted getting in/out of rack.

Got through the first planned set of 140kg x5 and decided to play it safe and not go for the 2nd (which was optional anyway). Did a couple of dropsets on 100kg x5 and moved on with assistance.: Leg Press, Ext, Curl, Lunges & Abs.

Good to get it done. Always take these hotel travel sessions as super positive if I manage to stay on plan which I did. Live to lift another day.

Bought myself a Rogue Safety Squat Bar:

https://www.roguefitness.com/sb-1-rogue-safety-squat-bar

Looking forward to receiving it in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    Bought myself a Rogue Safety Squat Bar:

https://www.roguefitness.com/sb-1-rogue-safety-squat-bar

Looking forward to receiving it in a few weeks.

Looks like a nice piece of kit. Would allow you get more squat volume in without taking a toll on your shoulders and you will feel like your core is taking a beating from holding against getting folded over

• Advertisement

Tuesday January 15th: Bench Day 12 of 12

Barbell Row
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    ~110kg - 1x1
    ~115kg - 1x1... failed second rep of planned triple due to dodgy bench/rack, etc
    ---
    Chin Up
    3x5
    ---
    DB Curl
    ~15kg per arm - 3x5

DB Shoulder Press
    ~15kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Rev Fly Machine
    3x10 ascending

Pec Fly Machine
    3x10 ascending
    ---

Anti-climax for last day of cycle. Hotel gym is not conducive to going heavy.

Bench pins either too high or too low. Couldn't wedge under the bar. Likewise safeties were too high on one setting so kept clipping them on warm ups. The next lowest setting was too low... and saw me nearly chop myself in half when failing the second rep of planned triple on 115kg.

Some guy ran over to assist as I rolled 115kg down my ribs and into my belly button. The safetys just did enough to stop my spine getting chopped in half, but took the full weight through the guts, etc.

It was like that feeling anyone with misaligned top/bottom teeth will have when attempting to eat a ham sandwich. They can bite through the bread but not the meat.

Moral of the story: always set the safeties on the higher setting and try not to schedule heaviest sessions on dodgy equipment.

Finished off with various bodybuilding fluff to get something out of the training session.

Looks like a nice piece of kit. Would allow you get more squat volume in without taking a toll on your shoulders and you will feel like your core is taking a beating from holding against getting folded over

Looking forward to trying it out!

Friday Jan 18th: Deload

Leg Press
    6-8 ascending sets
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    3x~10
    ---
    Leg Extension
    3 ascending sets
    ---
    Leg Curl
    3 ascending sets
    ---
    Shoulder Press Machine
    3 ascending sets

Seated Bench Press Machine
    3 ascending sets
    ---
    Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x8
    70kg - 1x8
    80kg - 1x8
    ---
    YTWL
    3 sets...
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    ~15-20kg - 3x5

DB Curl
    ~15-20kg - 3x5
    ---
    DB Lateral Raise
    2kg per arm - 1x10
    4kg per arm - 1x10
    6kg per arm - 1x10
    ---

Hotel gym workout ^^.

A lot of stuff to deload for fun as wasn't gonna attempt Squat Day 12 (155kg x3) on such equipment.

Tuesday January 22nd: Deload

DB Shoulder Press
    12kg - 3x5

DB Curl
    12kg - 3x5
    ---
    VTWL
    3x20 in two positions
    ---
    Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 2x8

Bench Press ... middle ringer on rings ... i.e. slightly wider than normal
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 2x8
    ---
    Squat ... bare knees feel weird
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 2x8

GHR
    3x12 ... first reps per set from ground to parallel, later 6 reps per set from parallel to vertical
    ---

More deload fun.

SSB is due to arrive this weekend so excited about that.

Thursday January 24th: Deload

Deadlift - Snatch Grip
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 3x5

DB Lateral Raise
    6kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Incline Bench (middle finger on ring)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8

DB Press Standing
    12kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Good Morning
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 3x8

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    5, 5, 10
    ---

More deload. Some other stuff I cannot remember too. Lots of swimming and waiting... for SSB.

• Advertisement

Saturday January 26th: Squat

Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    100kg +16kg chains - 3x6

Ab Wheel
    3x6
    ---
    SSB :pac: ... bar is something like ~35kg
    bar - 1x6
    bar +20kg - 1x6
    bar +30kg - 1x6
    bar +40kg - 3x6
    ---
    GHR
    3x12
    ---
    Calf Raise
    3x12
    ---

Chains on main back squats for variety in this 4 week pre-comp cycle phase.

SSB arrived this afternoon so unwrapped it and got to use it this evening. First 3 to 4 sets I could really feel in the abs but not quads. The worksets (bar + 40kg) could definitely be felt in the quads. Feels like a really solid Front Squat setup - without the wrist snapping awkwardness. Quite impressed with the bar and how it feels. Looks good as well. Get nice and deep with upright torsu.

Writing this the next day and legs feel like they are about to seize up with DOMS.

Slightly tweaked something in mid upper back/neck on one of the back squat sets. Probably should have warmed up that area with a some band pull aparts. Jumped straight into it after spending most of the day on laptop.

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

35kg? Jaysus. What brand is it? Think the one in my gym is far closer to 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Rogue one is over 30kg anyway.

My SSB is manufactured by Rogue. I double checked online and it is 31kg.

The package it came in had a recorded total weight of 85 lbs which equates to 38.5kg. The packing material was just light cardboard that couldn't have come to too much more than a few kg... hence my thoughts that the bar was originally ~35kg

It feels heavier and much more awkward to manuveour than a standard barbell. The swinging cambered bit has a knack of rotation with force to hit you in sensitive spots and the handles are on the lookout for any opportunity to poke your eye out as you lug it in/out of the rack.

Still - this high maintenance monstrosity is a thing of beauty and my legs are in agony with DOMS as I type this two days after using it.

Side note - the shipping and additional customs charges when it arrived to UAE from USA made the overall price about triple the advertised price on the website. Probably should have bought one or two other things (Bench Blox?) for the sake of justifying the high shipping costs.

Quite content now with my awesomely equipped home gym. Must make an inventory soon for my own personal enjoyment. Should also make a video.

From a high level - the key items include:
    - ER Rack (Denmark)
    - Eleiko Bar 20kg (Sweden)
    - AusBB Bar 20kg (Australia)
    - Rogue Safety Squat Bar 31kg (USA)
    - Glute Ham Raise (China)
    - 45 Degree Back Raise (China)
    - 260kg of Iron Edge bumper plates (4x25kg red, 4x20kg blue, 2x15kg yellow, 4x10kg green, 2x5kg black) (Australia)
    - 12kg of fractional plates (2x2.5kg red, 2x2kg blue, 2x1kg green, 2x0.5kg white) - (Germany)
    - Iron Edge Weights Tree (Australia)
    - Various Dumbbells (1kg, 4kg and handles/plates to make anything from 6kg to ~30kg)
    - Chains (2x8kg currently setup)
    - Bands (light yellow & lighter black)
    - Arm Blaster
    - Fat Gripz
    - Lifting Straps
    - Various Slingshots
    - Oly Shoes
    - Converse Shoes
    - Various Singlets
    - Spud Lifting Belt
    - Pull Up door attachment
    - Approx 30 rubber square mats for gym flooring to create cushioning 2 or 3 layers deep

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

BossArky wrote: »
    It feels heavier and much more awkward to manuveour than a standard barbell. The swinging cambered bit has a knack of rotation with force to hit you in sensitive spots and the handles are on the lookout for any opportunity to poke your eye out as you lug it in/out of the rack.

Ah yeah. I've turned heads before because no matter how careful I've been, I've occasionally bashed the SSB off absolutely everything in sight and caused a massive racket

Sunday January 27th:

VTWL ... without the WL
    8x2x20 or something in two positions

Bench Press ... middle ringer on rings ... i.e. slightly wider than normal
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    12kg - x8, x9, x10

DB Curl
    12kg - x8, x9, x10
    ---
    One Arm DB Row (Fat Gripz)
    22kg per arm - 3x8

DB Bench (Fat Gripz)
    22kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    DB Pec Fly
    4kg per arm - 3x12
    ---

First day of new bench block.

Wednesday January 30th: Squat

Squat
    20kg +16kg chains - 1x6
    60kg +16kg chains - 1x5
    90kg +16kg chains - 1x3
    110kg +16kg chains - 3x6

Ab Wheel
    3x6
    ---
    SSB ... bar is ~31kg
    31kg - 1x6
    61kg - 1x6
    81kg - 1x6 ... top set
    61kg - 2x6
    ---

SSB: so hard. Killed my abs, mid to upper back... and quads. Love it. Was planning for 3x6 on top weight of SSB 81kg but had to reduce weight to avoid head flying off. Totally trashed as I write this the next day.

On the normal back Squats I put the chains on first and kept them in place by layering the plates over them. Kept things a bit steadier. On their own these Squats + chains sets are hard enough on the quads as you have to exert more force as the rep goes on out of the hole. Combined with SSB my quads are fried.

Thursday January 31st: Bench

VTWL ... without the WL
    1kg per arm - 8x2x20 or something in two positions

Bench Press ... middle ringer on rings
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x5
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    6kg - 3x12 ... i.e. nothing.. just for pump

DB Curl
    6kg - 3x10 ... i.e. nothing.. just for pump
    ---

Some Benching before swimming... if I recall correctly. Working wide grip at low weights on bench to get used to it.

Friday February 1st: Deadlift

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    100kg +16kg chains - 3x8

GHR
    3x8

Chin Up (neutral grip)
    3x8
    ---
    Fat Gripz Deadlift
    80kg - 3x8(?)
    ---

Thought I superset something else with Fat Gripz Deads but cannot remember. Writing this a few days later. The above was getting the Deadlifts up and running this cycle.

Tuesday February 5th: Squat

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x6

Ab Roll Outs (barbell and mini oly plates)
    3x10
    ---
    Front Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    ---
    GHR
    3x10
    ---

Keeping on keeping on.

• Advertisement

Wednesday February 6th: Bench

Rev Fly / YTWL
    1 or 2kg plates - ~3x12

Seated Unilateral Machine Row
    6x10

Bench Press .. middle finger on rings
    90kg - 6x4
    ---
    High Row
    2x10

Low Row
    2x10

Lat Pull Down
    2x10

Cable Row
    2x10
    ---
    Machine Curl
    2x10

Machine Tricep Extension
    2x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    15kg - 3x8

DB Shoulder Press
    15kg - 3x8
    ---

Tried out a nice new gym. Massive and heaps of stuff. Well equipped with all the free weight stuff as well as heaps of Hammer Strength etc.

Friday February 8th: Squat

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1
    130kg - 3x6 ... good
    ---
    SSB
    bar + 40kg - 1x6 ... not sure how much the commercial gym SSB is
    ---
    Glute Thruster
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    Prowler
    6 trips
    ---

Some good squatting for 130kg 3x6.

Followed it up with some nice SSB (bar +40kg 3x6). Nothing super heavy but enjoying the sensation and quad pump.

Saturday February 9th: Bench

Seated Unilateral Machine Row
    6x10

Bench Press .. middle finger on rings
    95kg - 6x3
    ---
    DB Curl
    15kg - 3x8

DB Shoulder Press
    15kg - 3x8
    ---

Some handy Benching. Still with wider grip (middle finger on rings). Honestly I don't think that is my optimal grip and will bring it back in a finger (to ring finger on rings) when I get into upcoming competition cycle training). Feels like I'd rip the shoulders off myself with heavy weights. It does shorten the ROM somewhat though.... but probably not worth it for longevity.

Did other stuff too which I've forgotten exactly. Various rows and pressing machines/HammerStrength etc.

Sunday February 10th: Deadlift

Deadlift with chains... (weight of chains unknown)
    60kg + chains -1x5
    100kg + chains - 1x3
    120kg + chains - 3x8
    ---
    Hamstring Curl (standing, machine, unilateral)
    3 sets ascending
    ---
    Calves (standing, machine)
    3 sets ascending - all light
    ---
    Prowler
    6 runs
    ---

Some Deadlifts in the cold.

Thursday February 14th: Squat

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1
    140kg - 1x8 ... PR & quite a good one
    100kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    ---
    SSB
    31kg - 1x6
    51kg - 3x6
    ---
    Ab Wheel
    3x8
    ---
    Calf Raise
    3x10 or so
    ---

Made sweet Valentine love with Barbella and climaxed with a beautiful Squat PR of 140kg x8. Undecided whether that is my greatest Squat performance vs 150kg x5 from a while back.

140kg x8 gives me a projected max of 172.5kg.

Not gonna jump to any conclusions but used the hip circle during warm ups for the first time in ages.

Quads in bits the next day as I type this.

Friday February 15th: Bench

Face Down Bench DB Fly
    1.5kg per arm - 5x10 in two positions (T & V)

Bench Press .. back to normal width grip: ring finger on rings
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x7 ... was aiming for 8
    80kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    40kg - 3x10 ... close grip & feet up to fry the triceps
    ---
    Weighed Chins
    bodyweight +20kg - 1x5
    bodyweight +10kg - 1x5
    bodyweight +0kg - 1x5
    ---
    DB Curl
    12kg - x8, 8, 20, 25

DB Shoulder Press
    12kg - 4x8
    ---

Just YOLO-ing my way through the end of this messing about stage. Wanted at least 8 on the 100kg Bench. Got 7.

Harder ramping up to an AMRAP than coming down and AMRAPing after a top single overload set.

Some weighted chains and a heap of curls to round things out.

Sunday Feb 17th:

Fat Gripz Deadlift
    60kg - 3x6

SSB
    31kg - 3x6
    ---
    GHR
    3x10

Calves
    3x10
    ---

Did some deload type Deads as won't be able to train next couple of days and didn't wanna Squat/Bench so close to last of those two heavy AMRAP sessions.

Just light stuff. Felt good & swam after.

Should note that I was 83.5kg first thing in the morning after toilet & before breakfast. Managed to gain some bodyweight in the past months which is good.

Friday Feb 22nd: Messing about on last day of deload

Bench ... feet up, flat back
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x5

DB Lateral Raise
    1.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    SSB
    31kg - 3x10 ... just the empty bar and it still pumps the quads

Ab Wheel
    3x5
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10

DB Curl to DB Overhead Press
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Reverse Hyper (on 45 Degree Back Raise frame)
    3x10
    ---

This was the last day of deload messing about. Cannot wait to get back to heavy weights and competition program from Sunday onwards.

Given that I've gained 3kg bodyweight since 6 months ago when I last started a competition cycle I'm gonna use a similar template but add 5kg to both Squat and Deadlift starting weights and 3kg to Bench.

You may remember my previous best was 485kg at bodyweight 81.7kg (SQ 165kg / BP 120kg / DL 200kg). Gonna concentrate hard on nutrition, sleep and recovery and break the 500kg total whilst going going 9 for 9.

I've been back through my log and reviewed all the pertinent training sessions on the run in to last competition. Where a particular day was noted as being hard with either missed reps or dropped sets I've made a note in the preceding days to drop the volume on associated main lift or accessories.

Sunday Feb 24th: Squat day 1 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    105kg - 3x9

Ab Wheel
    3x10
    ---
    SSB
    41kg - 3x10

GHR
    3x10
    ---

Started new Squat cycle with a 105kg 3x9. First day always feels off when getting back to it.

Superset all of those sets with 4 pages of Hamilton (the book upon which the play is based). Enabled me to push on with the book and get mind off training. Heart rate came down nicely between sets.

• Advertisement

Monday Feb 25th: Bench day 1 of 12

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 6x6

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 6x6 ... alright
    ---
    DB Press
    22kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

First Bench day of this cycle: 90kg 6x6. Alright. Superset the Barbell Rows and want to be consistent with them this cycle.

Drank 2 litres of full fat milk during it which equates to 1200 calories.

Assistance was DB Press and Barbell Curl.

Advertisement