Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday April 6th: Squat day 11 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    130kg - 1x1
    150kg - 3x5 ... PR by 5kg for 3x5 (have done a single set of 5 on this before but never 3x5)... felt good

Ab Wheel
    3x6
    ---
    SSB (beltless)
    41kg - 3x6

GHR
    3x6
    ---

Squat 150kg 3x5 for a 5kg PR over where I was on run into last competition.

As per above - have done a single set of 5 on this before but never 3x5. Felt quite strong.

Assistance was more low volume Abs, GHR and SSB, plus ~15 pages of Hamilton.

Bodyweight 84.7kg this morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday April 7th: Bench day 11 of 12

TY face down on bench
    4kg - 6x8 each

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    115kg - 4x3 where I got 3, 4, 3, 3 ... PR getting 4 on second set.
    ---
    Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 4x6

DB Bench (flat back, feet up)
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    10kg per arm - 3x6

DB Press standing
    10kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Pec Fly
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

This Benching was a bit too close to yesterdays heavy Squats - but got a busy week coming up and needed to get it done today.

Bench was planned for 115kg 6x4. At this stage of the cycle I see how I go with 4 sets and then re-evaluate if I finish off full 6.

First set was just not setup correctly. Failed 4th rep.

Second set much better and got all 4 reps. Good.

Third set hit the pins on way up on 4th rep and got stuck underneath. Would have got 4th if not for pin catch.

Fourth set I got the first three reps cleanly and held the bar for a few seconds debating whether I'd go for 4th rep or not. Opted to just rack to avoid too much straining/risk of injury.

All in all - ok given the rushing and yesterdays heavy Squats.

Bodyweight 84.7kg this morning.

Thursday April 11th: Squat day 12 of 12

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    120kg - 1x1
    140kg - 1x1
    155kg - 3x3 ... PR by 5kg for 3x3

Ab Wheel
    3x5
    ---
    SSB (beltless)
    41kg - 3x5

GHR
    3x5
    ---

Squat 155kg 3x3 to end this training cycle on a 5kg PR.

Got through the first two sets fine. Heavy but not gut busting.

Felt super calm as I stood before the bar for third and final set. Thought back on this cycle and the ones beforehand... and how the dedication to training, recovery, nutrition and planning was paying off. Not just this cycle - but the prep cycles in the past 6 months to put me in a position to attempt the numbers in this cycle. The hay was in the barn. The cycle was one set away from a successful 5kg PR conclusion. Got under it and got it done. No big deal.

Lay down on the gym floor with feet elevated for 15 minutes afterwards to calm down the CNS and get blood out of lower extremities. Almost fell asleep.

Bodyweight ~84.5kg this morning. Cannot remember the exact decimal but it was mid 84s somewhere.

Friday April 12th: Bench day 12 of 12

TY face down on bench
    4kg - ~6x8 each

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    110kg - 1x1
    120kg - 3x3 ... of which I got 3, 2, 2. That triple is a 3kg PR

Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 4x6
    ---
    Close Grip Bench (flat back, feet up)
    40kg - 3x6

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x3
    ---
    DB Curl
    10kg per arm - 3x8

DB Press standing
    10kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Got what I came for - the triple on 120kg for the 3kg PR. Wasn't particularly hard.

After the first set I got that dull internal ache feeling of being battered around the elbows/forearms/upper arm from the recent heavy Squat and Bench volume. Second and third sets were quite uncomfy because of that. Missed third reps of both which I'm not particularly bothered with. Had a 120kg triple in the bag from set #1 and that was the aim of the session.

Got a serious "CRACK!" out of both elbows when I locked out 2nd rep of 2nd set. The windows shook and birds flocked out of nearby forests en masse. Joints are yearning for the deload and I played it safe by calling it quits after three sets.

I pushed the Bench quite hard this cycle and pleased with the result.

Saturday April 13th: Deadlift Day 6 of 6

Deadlift (beltless)
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x2
    160kg - 1x1
    180kg - 1x3 ... 5kg PR. Fine
    70kg - 1x5 ... fat gripz
    ---

Deadlift 180kg triple for a 5kg PR over last competition cycle six months ago. Didn't bother with more sets. No point so close to comp.

Did a couple of light fat gripz Deads for the come down.... then lay down in bed for an hour reading a Buffett bio.

Entire cycle concluded & my most successful ever.

Bodyweight 84.4kg this morning.

Now time to rest, recover, relax, read, more r's... and hit some PRs on the platform.

• Advertisement

Monday April 15th: Deload

YT Face down on Bench
    1kg per arm on both - 2x8

Bench
    20kg - 2x10 ... feet up, flat back
    ---
    DB Bench
    1kg per arm - 2x10

DB Curl
    kg per arm - 2x10
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 2x5

Ab Wheel
    2x5
    ---

Quick deload session to get moving after swimming.

Amused myself by teaching myself to code python by writing a program to calculate competition lifts based upon best 5s and triples from training.

Forgot to mention that during my last Bench session a few days back I took a steak knife to the sole of my converse. They are so worn and smooth that there is little to no grip. Made a few scratches to rough them up.

Friday April 19th - Powerlifting Meet – Dubai.

Short version: Went 8/9 with Squat 170kg (5kg PR) / Bench 122.5kg (2.5kg PR) / Deadlift 207.5kg (7.5kg PR) for Total 500kg (15kg PR) @bodyweight 82.3kg. Perplexingly missed a 125kg Bench which should have been easy based upon performing a 120kg triple in the preceding weeks. Pleased with overall progress though and the total milestone.

Long version: Read on…

Training cycle went particularly well and numbers were suggesting a 5kg improvement on all lifts. Coming into the meet I knew I had a good chance at a 500kg total, given that last competition total in Sept 2018 was 485kg.

Since September, from memory, I ran two 4 week bodybuilding cycles before shuttling around the world and running the usual 6 week default powerlifting cycle a couple of times. Was a logistical puzzle to squeeze in proper training in December, January and February with various travelling. Did something like 8 intercontinental flights of 8+ hours in that time and often didn’t know where I’d be the next week. This made the logistics of training, eating, recovery, etc slightly more convoluted that usual. Made sure that I also packed my powerlifting stuff – so luggage was usually half formal work stuff, and half filthy chalk covered power rags.

Successfully managed to put on approx. 3kg of bodyweight since the beginning of the year & maintained a training weight of around 84.5-85kg for the 2 months run into the competition.

Have been focusing in the past months on hydration (~at least 4-6 litres of water per day), vitamin C (1000mg in morning and again in the evening), garlic extract (helps with general immune system) plus fish oils and multi-vitamin. Hard to say if they helped – but I didn’t get sick once during the cycle… and I was pushing pretty hard. Usually I’d get a bit beat down in the final heavy weeks and pick up a cold. Not this time, thanks to focusing on the above.

Weigh in:
    I wanted to come into this competition right at the top of the 83kg weight category to be as powerful as possible. Water loading in the 4-5 days preceding competition was going well, but developed a headache in last day or two as may have been flushing out too much essential bits and pieces.

Visited gym a couple of days before competition to calibrate home vs competition weigh in scales. Unfortunately they were not available at the venue. Put a couple of 25kg calibrated red Eleikos onto my home scales and they read around 44.8kg. Near enough. Did manage to have a good philosophical powerlifting chat with the gym owner regarding longevity in the sport and the master plan of masters lifters as last men standing whilst all the young pups fall away injured.

Weigh in was scheduled for 12:30pm – so I planned to cease fluid intake 24 hours beforehand. Given that it is roasting in Dubai right now I pushed the fluid cut-off out to 3pm. It was about 35-40 degrees and I didn’t want to totally die of thirst. Went to bed the night before weighing 84.4kg.

Woke in the middle of the night and weighed 84kg. A few hours later, had a small dry breakfast of eggs and toast – no liquid, and weighed 83.6kg. Went to the pool and sat there hopping in and out of the water hoping to sweat off the final 600g. It didn’t work. Was still 83.3kg two and a half hours before weigh in. Took a quick trip to the local shops and got a heap of rehydration salts, bananas, double espresso coffee can, pasta, tuna, bread and ham – ingredients to fuel the refeed and progress throughout the day.

Drastic times call for drastic measures as I was still stuck at 83.3kg. Put on my seldom used running shoes and went for a 4km walk in the midday sun where it was 40 degrees. 52 minutes later I was home and staggered up stairs to strip off and pray the powerlifting/sun gods had some good news for me on the weighing scales. Bingo! Was down to 82.3kg after losing almost a kg on the walk.

Head to the venue and arrived around 12:30pm to find a queue of about 20 lifters ahead of me waiting to weigh in. 83kg category is always the largest as it caters to the average sized dude. I would have arrived earlier and been first in line – but had to do that 4km walk to ensure I lost the water weight. After 30 mins in line I weighed in officially at 82.3kg – a fair bit under. Mission accomplished.

Straight away I knocked back 400ml of plain water, followed by 600ml of rehydration salts and a banana. Drove home in 20 mins and had a box of tuna pasta. Knocked back another 4x600ml of rehydration salts. Played piano for a few mins to take my mind off vomiting, then quickly changed into lifting singlet and lay down on bed to visual each successful lift and the announcer blaring “EEEEEEEEE-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!”.

Headache was starting to disappear and I was feeling good with the rapid re-hydration. Before leaving the house to return to the venue I was back up to 85.6kg and feeling good. Headache gone, thirst gone, fueled up and ready to go.

Side note – this is the first powerlifting competition where I have ever managed to head home between weigh in and first lift. There was only 1 hour between weigh in concluding at 1pm and lifting starting at 2pm for the 66 and 74kg lifters. The 83kg lifters were in group 2 which gave me additional 45 mins. Realistically I knew I wouldn’t be lifting until 2:45pm or so – hence the time I used to my advantage to go home instead of standing around in a cramped hot warehouse gym space out of my comfort zone.

Took a 600ml coffee and another 600ml water with me in the car. Sipped the water in the car and coffee upon arrival at the venue.

Squat
    Couldn’t really figure out what was going on in terms of timing as I arrived back to the venue. Expected I'd only have 30 mins max before lifting, as the 66kg/74kg flight was ongoing. Rushed into my usual warm ups (side steps, high knees, bird-dogs, fire hydrants, etc) before rattling through 20kgx10, 60kg x5, 100kgx3. Realized it probably was another 25 mins before my first lift, so waited another 10-15 mins before doing final Squat warm up on 130kg. Thought about adding an extra warm up and going 120, then 140kg to space things out more – but opted just for 130kg in the end. Warm ups felt fine and I was ready.

Squat #1: 152.5kg – good
    Squat #2: 162.5kg – good
    Squat #3: 170kg – good & 5kg PR

All Squats felt fine. It was like the money was lying there on the floor and I just had to bend down and stuff it in my pockets. The work had been down in the preceding cycles and I thank the Safety Squat Bar for building this lift. Looking back on the videos they were all fine. May have had a few more kgs in me.

Bench:
    Bench #1: 115kg – good
    Bench #2: 122.5kg – good & 2.5kg PR
    Bench #3: 125kg – fail

Bench warm ups went 20kg x10, 60kg x5, 80kg x3, 95kg x1, 105kg x1. All easy and feeling good. Coming into this I was more or less certain that I would bench 125kg, if not 127.5kg/130kg. Triples in recent training on 120kg paused were suggesting more towards the upper limit. Went for 122.5kg on second lift to lock in a small PR and then 125kg on third to keep building total – given that Squatting had went well. Adding that extra 2.5kg on Bench (vs 5kg potential bigger & more risker jump) would mean having to pull less to get 500kg total.

Surprised to fail 125kg again – same as last competition. Got it about 1/3 of the way up and grind went on for 5 seconds before ref commanded it to be racked. Slightly peeved with that.

I perhaps should have pumped up my lats with Barbell Rows. This is what I typically do when training as a superset with Bench. Purposely didn’t do this at the competition as wanted to save any lower back stress ahead of the Deadlifts to come. I’m also think my elbow sleeves in training are giving me a few kgs which I then loose out on when competing without them. Or, perhaps it’s just the Squats before Bench taking some energy.

Deadlift:
    Deadlift #1: 175kg – good
    Deadlift #2: 195kg – good & 2.5kg Total PR of 487.5kg
    Deadlift #3: 207.5kg – good & 7.5kg Deadlift PR and 15kg total PR

Before Deadlifts I was sitting on a subtotal of 292.5kg, which is 7.5kg up on last competition at the same stage. This meant I had to pull 195kg on second to hit at 2.5kg PR total. This happened to be exactly what I planning on 2nd attempt anyway. It went well and then I went straight for 207.5kg on third attempt because 500kg total was there waiting to be claimed. Coming into the competition I was confident of 205kg Deadlift at least. Pleased to get 207.5kg and have a significant movement in my Deadlift. Thank you Safety Squat Bar for building this lift (as well as my Squat). Double espresso out of a can helped with focus. Was sipping it throughout Deadlift warm ups and attempts. It kicked in to full effect a few mins before attempt#3. Felt like I could walk through walls.

Conclusion:
    It was a good competition. I ended up finishing 7th from 17 lifters in the 83kg category. I was totally in the zone for all the days lifts. Kept my head down and kept to myself as much as possible. Not trying to be unfriendly – its just my way of internalizing things. I don’t yell and scream – I keep calm and stick to the plan as if I’m home alone lifting & listening to my usual podcasts. Met some nice people.

There were two leagues in the 83kgs: a number of newbies and then a number of experienced lifters. First guy totaled over 600kg, second around 550kg, then third to fifth around 535-520kg. Another 20kg on my total would have seen me into the top 5.

Confident I can keep pushing up Squat and Deadlifts in coming cycles and also translate Bench training into Bench competition. Pretty sure I have a 130kg Bench in me waiting to get out.

Bought myself a nice t-shirt to celebrate: “Stronger people are harder to kill” – a nice little cartoon print of a buff stick man posing in his short shorts whilst being unsuccessfully bombarded by tanks, fighters and other stick men shooters.

A good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Probably the only similarity between us at getting to 500kg total is the keeping calm and no winding up for lifts :)

Well done on a good day!

Probably the only similarity between us at getting to 500kg total is the keeping calm and no winding up for lifts :)

Well done on a good day!

Thanks!

Cannot deny the thought did cross my mind to pull for a 502.5kg total and boards 83kg glory vs Alf. In the end I opted to align with the google motto "don't be evil" :pac:

BossArky wrote: »
    Thanks!

Cannot deny the thought did cross my mind to pull for a 502.5kg total and boards 83kg glory vs Alf. In the end I opted to align with the google motto "don't be evil" :pac:

Haha brilliant.

If we were in the same comp, we'd probably both have thought you'd be taking the bragging rights after the bench :)

• Advertisement

Friday April 26th: Messing about

SSB Front Squat
    31kg - 1x10
    41kg - 1x10
    51kg - 1x10
    61kg - 1x10

45 Degree Back Raise
    4x10
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 3x10

Plank
    3 x ~30 seconds
    ---
    Ham Curl (single leg, band)
    3x20
    ---
    Calf Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Farmers Walk (DB, Fat Gripz) ... 1 lap = ~200m
    10kg per arm - 1 lap (3 stops)
    8kg per arm - 1 lap (4-5 stops)
    6kg per arm - 1 lap (0 stops)
    ---

Took a week off after competition to let any niggles, known or unknown, get over themselves. Enjoyed the time off, but chomping at the bit now again.

SSB Front Squats feel kinda awkward. I was hoping the SSB would make it easy enough to hold in place... but not really. Still had to support bar in front of neck with fingers/hands which kinda defeats the purpose for me. Did get a good quad pump before Back Squats which made those feel different.

45 Degree Back Raise felt so nice. Warmed up the hamstrings so they felt like they were coming out of the microwave. Had focused exclusively on GHR in the run up to the last comp, so variety today was good.

Back Squats were light and fine. Just felt a bit weird to do them after SSB Front Squats. Quads confused AF. Threw in planks for variety (vs usual ab wheel).

Got an idea to do banded Ham Curls whilst watching Matt Wenning videos recently. His channel has some great punchy info - exactly what I've been dying for since Mark Bells channel went off piste a while back. Anyway - single leg banded Ham Curls, whilst sitting on end of bench with band secured to GHR base, had my hams screaming.

Did some calfs because I haven't done those for a good while.

Finished off with fat gripz DB Farmers Walks outside. This is part of my master plan to Deadlift 300kg --> build the grip and pulling muscles. Won't be able to type or hold a cuppa tea tomorrow. Can feel forearms clamping up already. Was originally planning to use the 22kg DBs for these... but decided to "start light". That was a good idea... because 10kg humbled me. Did a ~200m lap with 10kg per hand (~3 stops), then a 2nd lap with 8kg per hand (4-5 stops) before managing to finish a full lap with 6kg per hand (0 stops).

Finished off with fat gripz DB Farmers Walks outside. This is part of my master plan to Deadlift 300kg --> build the grip and pulling muscles. Won't be able to type or hold a cuppa tea tomorrow. Can feel forearms clamping up already. Was originally planning to use the 22kg DBs for these... but decided to "start light". That was a good idea... because 10kg humbled me. Did a ~200m lap with 10kg per hand (~3 stops), then a 2nd lap with 8kg per hand (4-5 stops) before managing to finish a full lap with 6kg per hand (0 stops).

Physio has me doing forearm work so i know them feels. I didn't do much in the way of heavy farmers walks but he said to go heavy with them in tandem with light high rep stuff.

Bar rolls...empty barbell, rolling it one direction for 60s, dead hang for 60s/as long as you can, then rolling the bar the other way. Burned the bejesus out of them. Only managed 3 sets of 30/35s of farmers walks with 35kg DBs after that. Looked like I had a disability when I used my hands for anything after that.

Saturday April 27th: Messing about

Tricep Push Down (band)
    4x25

Pull Down (straight arm, band)
    4x25

Face Pull (band)
    4x25
    ---
    Incline DB Bench (fat gripz)
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Shoulder Press (barbell, seated)
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 3x10 ... medium grip
    ---
    TV Face Down on Bench
    3x8 both T & V
    ---
    Slingshot Bench
    60kg - 3x10
    ---
    Pull Ups
    3x6 ... wide grip

DB Bench
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl (alternating)
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

First upper body training since competition. Started it off with the Matt Wenning 4x25. This killed my triceps.

The rest was just messing about with different stuff. Want to make sure I do more rowing than pressing going forwards. Should have rowed more today.

Monday April 29th: Messing about

SSB
    31kg - 1x10
    41kg - 1x10
    51kg - 1x10
    ---
    SSB Lunge
    31kg per leg - 3x6 ... quad fire

Plank
    3 x ~30 seconds
    ---
    SSB Calf Raise
    31kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    70kg - 3x10

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---
    10kg per arm - 1 lap (0 stops)
    8kg per arm - 1 lap (0 stops)
    6kg per arm - 1 lap (0 stops)
    ---

Quads on fire from the SSB, SSB Lunges and finally back Squats.

Managed the three laps of the Fat Gripz DB Farmers Walk with a clean lap (no stops) each time.

Tuesday April 30th: Messing about

Shoulder Press (barbell, standing)
    30kg - 3x10 ... medium grip

Pull Up (wide grip)
    3x6
    ---
    22kg per arm - 3x10

DB Curl (alternating)
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    TV Face Down on Bench
    3x8 both T & V
    ---
    Slingshot Bench
    70kg - 3x10

DB Row
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Tricep Push Down (band)
    4x25
    ---

Upper bodybuilding.

Saturday May 4th: Messing about

SSB
    41kg - 1x10
    51kg - 1x10
    61kg - 1x10

Plank
    3 x ~30 seconds
    ---
    SSB Calf Raise
    61kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    80kg - 3x10

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Deadlift (deficit = off a 10kg green bumper)
    60kg - 3x10
    ---
    12kg per arm - 3 laps (stopping 4 or 5 times per lap)
    ---

Enjoyed the Fat Gripz Farmers walks. Forearms on fire. A good way to end the training with 20-30 mins outside.

Just messing about still and doing things in the "wrong" order i.e. Squats after heaps of other leg stuff first. By the time I got to the deficit Deads I was cooked. Stuck to 60kg 3x10 which was supposed to be the first warm up. No rush at the moment tho. Still in post comp deload phase and just getting reps in at light weight.

Took three days off for no other reason that I didn't have a structured plan to follow. Thus I snuck in some Deads on this day (when usually I would have done them a day or two ago).

Went swimming in the morning and evening too.

Monday May 5th: Messing about

34kg - 3x10 ... medium grip

DB Curl (alternating)
    12kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    22kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row (incline)
    22kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Slingshot Bench
    60kg - 1x10
    80kg - 3x10

Pull Up (wide grip)
    3x6
    ---
    Tricep Push Down (band)
    4x25
    ---

Messing about again. Lots of easy reps.

Wednesday May 8th: Messing about

SSB
    51kg - 1x10
    61kg - 1x10
    71kg - 1x10

Plank
    3 x ~30 seconds
    ---
    SSB Calf Raise
    71kg - 3x10

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Squat
    90kg - 3x10
    ---
    14kg per arm - 2 laps (stopping 6 to 8 times per lap)
    ---

Lower body.

Right quad seems to take more of the SSB strain which is interesting. Feels slighty strained doing them, but its not. Not sure if it is showing up some imbalance now that I'm hammering them these days.

Enjoyed the Farmers Walks. Kept them to 2 laps today as was heavier and didn't wanna get too much exposure to the sun.

Went swimming afterwards.

Thursday May 9th: Messing about

46kg - 3x8 ... medium grip

DB Curl (alternating)
    14kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Incline DB Bench
    24kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row (incline)
    24kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Slingshot Bench
    90kg - 3x10

Pull Up (wide grip)
    3x6
    ---
    Tricep Push Down (band)
    4x25
    ---

Accidentally put 46kg on the bar instead of 34kg for the Military Press. Just realised as I unracked it and pushed on to get it done at 3x8 vs planned 3x10.

Rest was bodybuilding.

Went swimming afterwards.

Saturday May 11th: Messing about

SSB
    61kg - 1x10
    71kg - 1x10
    81kg - 1x10 ... dumped it around rep 8 as tweaked back

Plank
    3 x ~30 seconds
    ---
    Calf Raise
    bodyweight - 3x20

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10 ... using arms to tricep press & take some strain off lower back
    ---

Tweaked back on final reps of SSB 81kg x10 top set. Had been thinking I should wear a belt on these heavier SSB sets... and I should have. Pretty sore for the past couple of days. On the mend now with some walking/swimming to loosen up.

Quads are growing like weeds from SSB which is the positive.

• Advertisement

Wednesday May 15th: Messing about deload

VT (face down on bench)
    1kg per arm - ~3 x~20 each

Row (face down on bench)
    10kg per arm - - ~3 x~20 each

DB Curl (alternating)
    14kg per arm - 3x10

Bench (close grip feet up)
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    ---

Back almost feeling better so did some light upper body.

Have been doing lots of swimming, as per usual.

A few days ago saved a kid from drowning (second time in 4 years). Parent had wandered off and kid fell in deep end. Saw them bobbling around. Parent realized what was happening belatedly. Instead of jumping in to save the kid or attempting to pull them out safetly near to the edge they looked around for the life guard. I front crawled 20m to the kid and pulled them out. Scary that people are so unobservant. Extra scary that exactly the same thing happened with the same kid and same parent about 10 mins before hand in shallower water which had my spidery sense tingling and luckily I watched them out of the corner of my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fair play

When I hear of incidents like this, I can't help but wonder why you need a license for a dog, but not a child

Thursday May 16th: Messing about...

Ham Curl (band, single leg)
    3x10

Step Up (on to bench)
    bodyweight - 1x10 per leg
    +10kg - 1x10 per leg
    +20kg - 1x10 per leg
    ---
    Calf Raise
    3x~20
    ---

Some light lower body and then went swimming.

Saturday May 18th: Total (body) messing about...

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    ---
    GHR
    3x10
    ---
    YT (face down on bench)
    4 positions each for 3x5 before Bench

Bench (close grip, feet up)
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    ---
    DB Curl (alternating)
    4kg per arm - 1x25
    ---
    Pec Fly
    4kg per arm - 3x10

Tricep Extension (lying)
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Squats were fine. Easing back into it.

First time doing GHR since comp. I missed them. Took a while off doing them for the sake of variety.

Put one fat grip holder on the centre of bar for Bench - so bar stopped about half an inch higher than normal. Just mixing things up.

Various other light upper. Then, went swimming.

Tuesday May 21st: Total (body) messing about...

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5

Ab Wheel
    3x5
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10

Lunge
    3x10
    ---
    YT (face down on bench)
    3 positions each for 2x10 before Bench

Bench
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x1
    60kg - 3x8

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    3x5
    ---
    DB Curl (alternating)
    4kg per arm - 3x10

Calf Raise
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Shoulder Press (standing)
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

The aim here was to get a full body workout in and get some moderate weight on the bar.

Getting fidgety as it has been a month since competition. Back still a bit tender/inflamed. Pushed it a bit here and not fully 100% yet. Will focus on some rehab out of the gym.

Looking forward to getting back on a hypertrophy block from next week.

Friday May 24th:

Bulgarian Split Squat (rear foot on bench)
    bodyweight - 3x10

GHR
    3x10

Pull Up (wide grip)
    3x5
    ---
    Squat (heel elevated)
    bodyweight - 3x10

Calf Raise
    3x20
    ---

Feeling good after that.

Was swimming earlier in the day. Spent about 10 mins treading water for cardio benefit. Gets the heart pumping. Varying hand position (fingers open, closed, fist bunched) is like running through the gears and varies traction on the water.

Saturday May 25th: Messing about

Reverse Hyper
    bodyweight +2.5k - 1x10
    bodyweight +5kg - 4x10

Rev Fly
    4kg per arm - 5x20

Bench
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Press (standing)
    12kg per arm - 3x10

DB Lateral Raise
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl (alternating)
    12kg per arm - 3x10

Pec Fly
    4kg per arm - 1x15
    6kg per arm - 1x15
    8kg per arm - 1x15
    ---

I've been investigating purchasing a Reverse Hyper for the home gym. Had settled on the Titan Economy version (vs Titan standard... and vs Rogue). Went to click order... and none of the various sites (including Titan themselves) deliver to my location.

This prompted me to improvise a home made solution. Mounted my GHR in a reverse fashion, with some weight plates strapped between ankles using Hip Circle, and it seems to work ok. Did 5x10. Felt super weird standing/walking around afterwards as muscles had just been through a very unfamiliar movement pattern. Will keep these in for the next while and see how they go.

The rest was upper bodybuilding.

Monday May 27th:

Lunge
    bodyweight - 3x10 per leg

GHR
    3x10
    ---
    Bulgarian Split Squat (rear foot on bench, front foot on blue bumper)
    bodyweight - 3x10 per leg

Pull Up (wide grip)
    3x6
    ---
    Calf Raise (seated, bumper on balanced on knee, unilateral)
    +20kg, feet flat - 1x20
    +20kg, toes on bumper (decline) - 1x20
    +40kg, toes on bumper (decline) - 1x20
    ---
    Ham Curl (band, seated, unilateral)
    3x10 per leg
    ---

Couldn't sleep so got up and did this between midnight and 1am. Enjoyable.

Watched Westside against the World a couple of times in the past days. Good.

Wednesday May 29th: Messing about

Reverse Hyper
    bodyweight - 2x10
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x10

Rev Fly
    4kg per arm - 2x20
    6kg per arm - 3x20

Bench (close grip, feet up)
    20kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10
    70kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl (alternating)
    12kg per arm - 3x10

DB Press (standing)
    12kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Late night upper bodybuilding after the Rev.Hypers to loosen out. Still trundling along in neutral and keen to get back into another set program in a couple of weeks. Taking my time. Really should have free wheeled like this for the immediate month post comp. Nice to skip the Big 3 and just do more light isolation for a change.

• Advertisement

Nice to skip the Big 3 and just do more light isolation for a change.

Did a block of that after a competition once. Was just variations on the big three that I probably hadn't done before at the time and you're in default PR territory after a while, which is always fun. You still train hard but doing new variations was like having a break.

Advertisement