Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday August 17th: Squat Day 8 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 1x1
    142kg - 1x1
    157kg - 2x3 ... PR by 2kg for triples. Good.

Ab Wheel
    4x10

SSB (with belt)
    71kg - 2x10

GHR
    bodweight - 4x10 ... on settings 4, 3, 3 & 2
    ---

Squat 157kg 2x3 for PR triples at that weight - up 2kg on peak of last competition cycle. Still got one more 2x3 to go in a couple of weeks to push higher.

Assistance was fine: Abs, GHR and SSB.

Listened to an early Rolling Stones album in the gym as currently reading a Mick Jagger Bio. Easy catchy listening where they were doing predominantly covers in the early to mid 60s.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday August 18th: Bench Day 8 of 12

Band Pull Apart (light grey)
    3x25
    ---
    VT
    1kg per arm - 2 positions (YT) - 2x10 each
    ---
    Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    84kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    112kg - 5x3 ... worksets. Got through them

T-Bar Row
    +70kg - 5x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    16kg per arm - 3x10

DB Bench (feet up, flat back)
    16kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench 112kg 5x3 didn't feel great. Just getting through them. Probably a bit flat from heavy Squats yesterday. A bit achey/trashed.

Bench in general feeling in the toilet this cycle. Perhaps it is mental. I can see how much my Squat is getting from the recent addition of SBD knee sleeves. This in turn makes me realize how much I'm gonna loose when competing where SBD elbow sleeves have to be removed. Mind playing tricks on itself and messing with bench confidence.

You, dear reader, may ask why don't I just train Bench without the elbow sleeves? Well... I prefer the support and reduced risk of injury from training with them - all in the name of longevity.

I don't feel I get much out of T-Bar Rows at all. My build limits the range of motion (stocky, shorter arms). They don't give me the same warm up & primed feeling for heavy Benching that I get when I superset Barbell Rows with Bench.

#FirstWorldProblems

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've loved T-bar rows since started using them. Really felt it in the upper back. Which just goes to show how different exercises work for different people...I have longish arms

I've loved T-bar rows since started using them. Really felt it in the upper back. Which just goes to show how different exercises work for different people...I have longish arms

It's what makes this beautiful powerlifting puzzle as much an art form as a science :pac:

BTW - do you do them with a V handle? Or with just your bar hands throttling the bar? Something else?

I use a V handle and make sure the plate is about half way up the pin by placing a clip below the plate. I found this increases range of motion (but still not much overall) and also stops the plate hitting me in the face at the top of each rep.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »

BTW - do you do them with a V handle? Or with just your bar hands throttling the bar? Something else?

I use a V handle and make sure the plate is about half way up the pin by placing a clip below the plate. I found this increases range of motion (but still not much overall) and also stops the plate hitting me in the face at the top of each rep.

Something not too far removed from this

LD295_1-768x605.jpg

Pair of handles just slightly off straight and a pair at maybe 45 degrees. The chest support helps avoid bringing any momentum into it. Definitely think it was involved in the bit of added definition in upper back.

Something not too far removed from this

LD295_1-768x605.jpg

Pair of handles just slightly off straight and a pair at maybe 45 degrees. The chest support helps avoid bringing any momentum into it. Definitely think it was involved in the bit of added definition in upper back.

Ah - I know this one alright - and I did love it too when I had access to one. It gives a much greater ROM than a barbell off the floor (which is what I use in home gym with V handle).

Ah - I know this one alright - and I did love it too when I had access to one. It gives a much greater ROM than a barbell off the floor (which is what I use in home gym with V handle).

Used to used the same set-up (end of bar in the corner) and was sceptical of the machine til I tried it.

Tuesday August 20th: Deadlift day 4 of 6

Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3 ... double overhand to here then mixed grip afterwards
    **add belt**
    145kg - 1x1
    165kg - 2x6 ... PR by 5kg over last comp cycle for sets at this weight, even tho have previously done a single set of 170kg 1x6 in Jan this year. Handy enough.
    ---
    Rubish Deadlift (i.e. on the 45 Degree Back Raise - Deadlifting, front elevated on blue bumper)
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

Good Deadlifting. 165kg 2x6 is a 5kg over last comp cycle for sets at this weight, even tho have previously done a single set of 170kg 1x6 in Jan this year.

Felt handy enough and was gonna go for a 3rd set but called it quits as want to err on the side of caution and not go over Niagra Falls in terms of ability to recovery.

Rubish Deadlift assistance 3x10 again out of 45 Degree Back Raise. Reduced weight from 50kg to 30kg as last week this destroyed my hamstrings and lower back for days. This exercise delivers.

Thursday August 22nd: Squat Day 9 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 2x9 ... 3 kg PR over two weeks ago and 5kg up on last cycle

Ab Wheel
    4x10

SSB (with belt)
    71kg - 2x10

GHR
    bodweight - 4x10 ... settings 2, 3, 3 & 4
    ---

Squat 130kg 2x9 for a handy PR. That is 3kg up on 2x9s from two weeks ago and 5kg up on last competition cycle.

Finished off with the usual assistance: Abs, GHR and SSB.

Took a while getting through it - not cos it was hard - just cos was dealing with calls and emails.

Cannot complain.

• Advertisement

Friday Aug 23rd: Bench Day 9 of 12

3x25
    ---
    VT
    4kg per arm - 2 positions (YT) - 2x10 each
    ---
    Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 4x6 ... worksets

Barbell Row
    80kg - 4x8 ... Bench volume equalization
    ---
    DB Curl
    16kg per arm - 3x10

DB Bench
    16kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Pec Fly
    4kg per arm - 3x10 ... for the stretch
    ---

Bench 95kg 4x6 superset with Barbell Row 80kg 4x8 for the volume equalization.

Down to 4 worksets now as into the last couple of weeks. Felt like a holiday. Lets see how the reduced volume goes. First few Bench didn't feel great. Last one felt like nothing tho.

Curls and DB press for the pump. Pec Fly for the stretch. 2 litres of full fat milk for the calories. Book for the brain. Music for the ears. Up to somewhere between Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers in the Stones back catalogue as I near the final 150 pages of Jaggers Bio.

Are there only 3 bench sessions left before the comp or is there a short peaking block after?

Are there only 3 bench sessions left before the comp or is there a short peaking block after?

Yes - three sessions left:
    Day 10 of 12: Bench 105kg 4x5
    Day 11 of 12: Bench 110kg 4x4
    Day 12 of 12: Bench 1115kg 4x3

Purposefully planned this cycle to end 5kg down on last competition cycle (with triples on 115kg vs 120kg) to avoid going into comp totally flattened like last time

Yes - three sessions left:
    Day 10 of 12: Bench 105kg 4x5
    Day 11 of 12: Bench 110kg 4x4
    Day 12 of 12: Bench 1115kg 4x3

Purposefully planned this cycle to end 5kg down on last competition cycle (with triples on 115kg vs 120kg) to avoid going into comp totally flattened like last time

Still seems a lot of volume so close to a comp when you might be better served dropping back the volume keeping the weight higher from a specificity perspective. But that's just me. You know what your body reacts best to.

Sunday August 25th: Squat Day 10 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    122kg - 1x1
    142kg - 2x7 ... PR by 2kg. Fine

Ab Wheel
    4x10

SSB (with belt)
    71kg - 2x10

GHR
    bodweight - 4x10 ... progressing through setting 4, 3, 3 & 2
    ---

Squat 142kg 2x7 for a 2kg PR over last cycle. Training plan called for 140kg, but since I've done that before I had to chip it with 2kg. Felt fine.

Blasted through it and the assistance to hop onto a conference call with heart thumping straight after.

Still seems a lot of volume so close to a comp when you might be better served dropping back the volume keeping the weight higher from a specificity perspective. But that's just me. You know what your body reacts best to.

For me this is 2/3rds of usual Bench volume so feels like nothing. Can concentrate more on the back work to build a bigger base to press off too.

Half the time I'm one foot in / one foot out when it comes to whether or not I'll be able to compete in whatever competition I've signed up for. I travel a lot internationally and depending on where I am the mid to later stages of a planned competition prep cycle ends up disintegrating if I end up in a far flung location with no proper PL lifting facilities at hand. I usually can make time and find a place... but sometimes it just dosen't work out.

Thus I prefer to just train a powerbuilding (higher volume approach) rather than peaking ... so I'm also building and putting on a bit of muscle/getting practice in. If I get a comp in here and there then so be it.

Current training approach has me ending everything on triples. So if I make it to the final triples then I know I can open up with what I tripled and cross my fingers and see what PRs are in store.

I'll save proper peaking for when I'm lifting somewhere worth peaking for :)

Monday August 26th: Bench Day 10 of 12

3x25
    ---
    VT
    ---
    Barbell Row
    80kg - 4x8

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x1
    105kg - 4x5 ... worksets. Fine
    ---
    DB Press (standing)
    16kg - 3x10

DB Curl
    16kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench 105kg 4x5. One of the easier Bench days of this cycle.

As mentioned before the Barbell Row really gets me in the mode for Benching. Screw the T-Bar :pac:

Finished off with arms and shoulders.

For me this is 2/3rds of usual Bench volume so feels like nothing. Can concentrate more on the back work to build a bigger base to press off too.

Half the time I'm one foot in / one foot out when it comes to whether or not I'll be able to compete in whatever competition I've signed up for. I travel a lot internationally and depending on where I am the mid to later stages of a planned competition prep cycle ends up disintegrating if I end up in a far flung location with no proper PL lifting facilities at hand. I usually can make time and find a place... but sometimes it just dosen't work out.

Thus I prefer to just train a powerbuilding (higher volume approach) rather than peaking ... so I'm also building and putting on a bit of muscle/getting practice in. If I get a comp in here and there then so be it.

Current training approach has me ending everything on triples. So if I make it to the final triples then I know I can open up with what I tripled and cross my fingers and see what PRs are in store.

I'll save proper peaking for when I'm lifting somewhere worth peaking for :)

Fair enough. Makes sense :)

Try snatch grip rows sometime. High reps. Oh the burn!

Wednesday August 28th: Deadlift day 5 of 6

Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    150kg - 1x1
    175kg - 2x5 ... PR by 5kg over last comp cycle 2x5s.
    ---
    Rubish Deadlift (i.e. on the 45 Degree Back Raise - Deadlifting, front elevated on blue bumper)
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

Quite busy but managed to sneak in 5kg Deadlift PR with 175kg 2x5. Felt strong.

Swam a few hours before and directly after. Enjoying the fact that I can get a bit more swimming in these days. Was way too hot last month and my usual twice daily swims were down to one or sometimes zero. I find swimming is great for active recovery.

Loving the Rubish Deadlifts. Hits all sorts of back musculature that dosen't get hit by the usual assistance.

Friday August 30th: Squat Day 11 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x1
    152kg - 2x5 ... PR by 2kg over last comp cycle

Ab Wheel
    4x10

SSB (with belt)
    71kg - 2x10

GHR
    bodweight - 4x10 ... on setting 2, 3, 3, 4
    ---

Squat 152kg 2x5 for a 2kg PR over last comp cycle. Felt fine.

Legs, core and back feeling strong from all the Ab Wheel, GHR and SSB this cycle. Can power through the reps. Video'd both cycles. Looked quite easy.

Today was a comp dress rehearsal with full SBD soft suit, etc. Looking like quite a beefcake in the video.

• Advertisement

Saturday August 31st: Bench Day 11 of 12

3x25
    ---
    VT
    ---
    Barbell Row
    80kg - 4x6

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    99kg - 1x1
    110kg - 4x4 ... worksets. Got it done
    ---
    DB Curl
    16kg per arm - 3x10

DB Bench
    16kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench 110kg 4x4 superset with Barbell Row 80kg 4x6 for volume equalization.

Bench still not feeling the best but got through it.

Curls and DB Bench to finish off with a pump.

Monday September 2nd: Squat Day 12 of 12

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x1
    150kg - 1x1
    160kg - 2x3 ... PR on triples by 5kg over last comp cycle

Ab Wheel
    4x10

SSB (with belt)
    71kg - 2x10

GHR
    bodweight - 4x10 ... on setting 2, 3, 3, 4
    ---

Squat 160kg 2x3 for PR triples by 5kg over last comp cycle.

This was exactly the right weight to end the cycle with.

Good.

Tuesday September 3rd: Bench Day 12 of 12

3x25
    ---
    VT
    ---
    Barbell Row
    80kg - 4x5

Bench Press (paused)
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x2
    105kg - 1x1
    115kg - 4x3 ... of which I got 3, 3, 3, 2... failed on final rep of 4th set
    ---
    DB Curl
    12kg per arm - 3x10

DB Bench
    12kg - 3x10
    ---
    Pec Fly
    1kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Benched 115kg for 4x3... failing last rep on 4th set. Need to check back through log to see how 115kg felt when I did it previously to end a cycle. Bench is down a bit. Have some ideas on how to progress next cycle.

Some light curls, shoulders and pecs to finish off.

Friday September 6th: Deadlift day 6 of 6

Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    160kg - 1x1
    185kg - 1x3 ... PR by 5kg over last comp cycle triple.
    ---
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

Deadlift 185kg for a PR triple by 5kg over last comp cycle 5 months ago.

Wednesday September 11th: Deload

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Face Pull (band)
    3x10
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    GHR
    x10, x3, x2
    ---

Deload at home above to get the blood flowing.

So, as touched upon a few posts above ^^ a last minute work trip popped up out of the blue. I've been ping ponging around the region for the past 5 days. Didn't train or manage to eat/sleep/rest too well as living out of suitcase. Luckily it was just deload week. If this had been any of the peak training weeks the whole 10 week prep would have been screwed as nowhere there to train.

Events almost conspired against me and I was so close to having to to cancel competition entry for tomorrow as almost had to spend the weekend there. Managed to wrangle my way home at 4am in the night yesterday after some awkward flight connections and will be on the platform as planned.

Water loading didn't really work out based upon the above. Some days I was in meetings from 7am-6pm and didn't get a chance for lunch. Was 85kg this morning hopping out of bed. It'll be close to make weight and get down to 83kg. Will take a trip to the shop later and get the usual hydration salts, bananas and comp food.

I'm so ready mentally for this comp after a great prep and looking forward to the platform.

Here I am. **waves at weights** :pac:

Best of luck, fella

Powerlifting Competition – Dubai: 13.09.2019.

Friday the 13th. The clue is in the ominous date.

Short version: Went 5/9 with best lifts of 162.5/120/200 @82.95kg bodyweight for a 482.5kg total & my worst performance in past three comps.

Long version: Read on.

Had a great training cycle and was planning on something like 180/125/212.5 if the stars aligned. Unfortunately the week pre-comp was sub optimal due to work travels, 4 flights and late nights. Didn’t have the most relaxing run in and was just focused on getting back into the country to get onto the platform.

Woke up weighing 83.3kg which is exactly the same as last competition. Wrote my attempts at the breakfast table a few hours before heading to the venue. Didn’t have the time during the week to really think about the comp and felt a bit rushed on the morning trying to mentally get in the zone. Went for a non-strenuous swim (i.e. sitting there, not exerting much energy) followed by a 20 minute walk to burn off some additional water weight. Was 82.8kg on the home scales before leaving home for the competition venue. Had also taken a 20 min stroll last night to burn off more water weight before sleeping.

Venue was packed upon arrival. Had a heart stopping moment as the scales flicked back and forth before settling on 82.95kg at weigh in. It was on.

Quickly went and got Squat and Bench rack heights on the Eleiko (11 & 8 respectively). Need to remember that so I don’t waste time having to go find them again around weigh in for next comp.

Knocked back 4.5 litres of water with rehydration electrolytes and salt within 30 mins of weight in. Got a pounding headache from it and didn’t feel right at all for the next hour or two. Drove home and stuffed face with pasta/tuna and then lay down trying to relax. Headache got worse, hopped up to have a quick shower and get dressed.

Planned to arrive back to venue as late as possible to walk straight into Squat rack and warm ups… rather than hanging around in 40 degrees in hot stuffed gym. Did my usual birddogs and mobility at home, got changed into lifting outfit along with knee sleeves etc . Hopped into car and drove back to venue which is just 15mins away.

Rushed the Squat warm ups on 20kg x10, 60kg x5 and 100kg x3. Found out the comp was running 40 mins behind schedule. Waited forever before doing final two warm ups of 125kg x1 and 145kg x1. Bit of a shambles timing wise. Wasn’t feeling great and was now half warmed up with too far to go before actual lifting.

Squat:
    Squat warm ups as stated above: 20kg x10, 60kg x5, 100kg x3, 125kg x1, 145kg x1

#1: 162.5kg … Good, but too heavy as an opener on the day. Tripled 160kg in training so this should have been easier. Just one of those off days

#2: 172.5kg … Fail, on technicality. Locked it out & got two white lights initially. Was celebrating after an RPE INFINITY rep which took about 10 seconds to lock out. Total good morning. A couple of mins later I was told my lift was overturned for downward movement of the bar and I was offered the chance to retake. Regardless (& given that proper IPF rules mean you cannot go back and modify after 1 min has passed) I YOLO’d and stuck with 180kg for third even though I had just used up everything I had on the 172.5kg attempt

#3: 180kg … Fail, too heavy. Went nowhere. Competition effectively over for me and considered going home. Felt flat as a pancake and no power. Drained the battery totally on 2nd attempt 172.5kg.

Bench:
    Bench warm ups: 20kg x10, 60kg x5, 80kg x3, 95kg x1, 105kg x1

#1: 115kg … Good. Felt alright & better than Squats

#2: 120kg … Good. Felt fine & starting to limit the total damage from missing second & third Squat

#2: 122.5kg … Fail, too heavy. This would have equaled my PR from last comp

Sub Total: 282.5kg after Squat and Bench. This meant I could opt to Deadlift 210kg on third for a 2.5kg Deadlift PR. Alternatively I could throw caution to the wind and opt to Deadlift 220kg for a 2.5kg Total PR. Guess what I did? :pac:

Deadlift:
    Deadlift warm ups: 70kg x5, 110kg x3, 140kg x1, 160kg x1

#1: 180kg … Good. Alright. Ref held me at the top for what seemed a long time

#2: 200kg … Good @RPE Infinity +1. Again ref held me at the top for ages. This was it and I knew it. Didn’t make a difference if I went 210kg or 220kg on the last lift so why not opt for the latter and seek some divine intervention?

#3: 220kg … Fail, on strength. Nailed to the ground. This would have given me a 2.5kg Total PR but was way too heavy on the day. Didn’t budge.

Closing thoughts:
    Training cycle was great, but screwed it up with the last week prior to comp when I should have been relaxing and deloading instead of stressing with travels, visas, logistics of flights & hotels.

Put on a tonne of muscle on quads and posterior chain, but didn’t get a chance to execute. Given that I wasn’t feeling great on the day I should have lowered Squat opener and just went for a 2.5kg PR on third instead of second. In theory I was thinking that since I did 170kg last comp… and I was probably 5kg stronger from this cycle training… plus another 5kg stronger from using SBD knee sleeves… that I would have been good for 180kg. That was my reasoning. Bench and Deadlift felt alright on the day – but I was just chasing my tail after screwing up Squats. Too much ground to make up hence the YOLO last Deadlift attempt.

Looking forward to getting back to training, leaning out and putting on some more muscle.

Well done, chief. Just one of those days but at least you recognise that it was just an off day but that you also have a really good training cycle behind you.

Next time, no interruptions and you PR your total.

Sunday September 15th: Messing about

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10

Pull Apart (band)
    3x10

Shoulder Press (barbell, standing)
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    ---
    GHR
    3x10

Press Up
    3x10
    ---
    Tri Ext & Bi-Curl DB (one arm each at same time)
    4kg - 3x10
    ---

Recovery sessions to get the blood flowing. Nice pump.

• Advertisement

Thursday September 19th: Messing about

KB Swing
    3x10 ascending sets

Ab Wheel
    3x10

Press Ups
    3x10

Face Pull
    3x10

Leg Curl
    3x10

Lat Pulldown
    3x10

Low Row
    3x10

Curl Machine
    3x10

Hips in/out Machine (lol - whatever that thing is caled)
    3x10
    ----

Hotel workout - light and getting blood flowing.

Advertisement