Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday April 8th: Lower day 16 of ?

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 3x5

45DBR
    3x15
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (on feet, i.e. knees up)
    3x10 ... nice burn as harder than when knees used to be on ground.

DB Shrug
    24kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Neck Flex
    Extension: +5kg 3x20
    Curl: +2.5kg 3x10
    ---

+5kg on Squats.

Moving Paused Fat Gripz Deads to tomorrow this week (i.e. Bench day) for no particular reason.

Increased DB Shrug from 22kg per arm to 24kg. Not noticeably heavier.

Ab Wheel on feet (vs knees) is a killer. Nowhere near full ROM - but gotta start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Started doing ab rollouts on feet two weeks or so ago....just slowly and controlled out as close to full ROM and then back on knees. Still got DOMS despite rollouts from knees being a staple since January!

Gonna try staying on my feet with shorter ROM, that I can manage, next time to see how it compares

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday Apr 9th: Bench day 2 of 12

Paused Deadlift (Fat Gripz)
    79kg - 3x5 ... losing grip on very last rep of 3rd set. Attempted that final rep twice & got it about 80% each time before it fell to ground.

Band Pull Apart (light grey band)
    3x10

Face Pull (unilateral - 2 light grey bands)
    3x10
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x5
    ---
    Neck Training ... (no added weight)
    Face Up Flexion - 3x20
    Face Up Rotation - 3x20
    Face Down Extension - 3x20
    Face Down Rotation - 3x20

Fat Gripz Chained Plate Curl
    5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Started to lose grip now as Fat Gripz Paused Deads up to 79kg. Had to attempt the very last rep (5th of 3rd set) twice to get it. Maybe that's because the lack of Squats beforehand had body less switched on... or maybe I'm just approaching the limits of sweaty late night fat gripz hold-on-ability.

Messed about with single arm chained plate fat gripz curl at the end for variety. The addition of fat gripz plus the swinging motion from chain probably made it a bit more awkward than a DB curl of the same weight. Coupled with the tight elbow sleeves for blood flow restriction... and it all felt ... different.

Oh, did Bench too: 85kg 6x5.

Monday April 12th: Lower day 17 of ?

Squat (beltless)
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5

45DBR
    3x15
    ---
    80kg - 3x5 ... losing grip on very last rep of 3rd set. Attempted that final rep twice & got it about 70% each time before it fell to ground.

DB Shrug
    24kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

Neck Flex
    ---

Think I'm reaching the limits of my Fat Gripz Paused Deadlift grip strength. Tough to hold onto it on final reps of last set. Dropped it on both attempts at 5th rep (worse so than on the previous day which was 1kg lighter). Nice burn in the forearms as I type this. I set the fat gripz up in the midst of the knurl - kinda like a half snatch grip Deadlift width. Maybe I should experiment with bringing the fat gripz in to around my usual Deadlift width and also use chalk which I've been avoiding on these - because grip training, etc.

Squats felt really good: 90kg 3x5 beltless. Taking 2 full days out of the gym had me coming in nice and fresh.

Did bird-dogs and Ab Wheel on knees for first time in a couple of months. Both felt fine. Had been avoiding them as previously thought they were aggravating the right knee which was over stressed from 5x5 twice a week on SSB. All feels good now.

Went lighter on both neck curl and neck flexion. Trying to find that sweet spot that makes it feel like work - without straining too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Never heard of fat gripz just googled them there and they seem to get great reviews , is it basically just used for deadlift to build grip strength? Would you recommend them ? Thanks

• Advertisement

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Never heard of fat gripz just googled them there and they seem to get great reviews , is it basically just used for deadlift to build grip strength? Would you recommend them ? Thanks

Yes, the Fat Gripz are good for variety to mix things up and work your grip a bit with lighter weights whilst giving the rest of your body a break from heavy deadlifts or similar.

In the past I've used them on various exercises including:
    - Pull Ups
    - DB Row
    - Cable Row (on the band handles)
    - Inverted Row
    - Barbell Row
    - Deadlifts
    - DB Farmers Walk
    - DB Curls

Depending on your training age/experience - maybe all you need to do is Deadlift more in general to build up grip strength. Sometimes people who use straps on Deadlifts find their pulling strength (i.e. back) outgrows what they can hold onto .. and thus Fat Gripz can be beneficial to build up the grip in isolation.

If you train at home like myself - sometimes it is good to throw these things in for the sake of variety to keep things fresh.

Tuesday Apr 13th: Bench day 3 of 12

3x10

3x10
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 6x4
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x20
    Face Up Rotation - 3x20

DB Curl
    8kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    8kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Handy enough Bench 90kg 6x4 in the morning.

Enjoying the unilateral banded face pulls.

BossArky wrote: »
    Yes, the Fat Gripz are good for variety to mix things up and work your grip a bit with lighter weights whilst giving the rest of your body a break from heavy deadlifts or similar.

In the past I've used them on various exercises including:
    - Pull Ups
    - DB Row
    - Cable Row (on the band handles)
    - Inverted Row
    - Barbell Row
    - Deadlifts
    - DB Farmers Walk
    - DB Curls

Depending on your training age/experience - maybe all you need to do is Deadlift more in general to build up grip strength. Sometimes people who use straps on Deadlifts find their pulling strength (i.e. back) outgrows what they can hold onto .. and thus Fat Gripz can be beneficial to build up the grip in isolation.

If you train at home like myself - sometimes it is good to throw these things in for the sake of variety to keep things fresh.

Thanks for detailed reply , I'll get a set I like the idea of a strong grip , grip strength is important and I like to mix things up. Nice training fair play your log started in 2007 and your still going strong . When I read 2007 I think that's only a couple of years ago then the realisation dawn's that it's 14 years wow how time flies .
    I guess your not 75kg still ?

Thanks for detailed reply , I'll get a set I like the idea of a strong grip , grip strength is important and I like to mix things up. Nice training fair play your log started in 2007 and your still going strong . When I read 2007 I think that's only a couple of years ago then the realisation dawn's that it's 14 years wow how time flies .
    I guess your not 75kg still ?

These days I'm around 83kg (+/- a kg or two depending on training/recovery/whats going on in life).

Thursday April 15th: Lower day 18 of ?

Squat (beltless)
    60kg - 1x5
    95kg - 3x5

45DBR
    3x15
    ---
    81kg - 3x5 ... losing grip on very last rep of 3rd set. Attempted that final rep three times & think I finally got it. Brought grip in slightly to edge of knurl.

DB Shrug
    24kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

Neck Flex
    ---

Squats 95kg 3x5 beltless. Had hip circle on for about 30 mins straight - all the way through warm ups, Squats and 45DBR. Experimenting to see what kind of DOMS that may or may not give me in the glutes in next day or two.

Was going to drop the Fat Gripz on Paused Deadlifts today and go for jumps of 10kg from here on in... but decided to give grip another chance on 81kg 3x5 by bringing hand positioning in to edge of the knurling. Made it a bit easier & combined with chalk I got through the sets more or less ok by treating each set as a bunch of quick singles... with the exception of final rep of 3rd set which I think I tried three times and may have dropped each time just around the top. Forearms fried.

• Advertisement

Friday Apr 16th: Bench day 4 of 12

3x10

3x10
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    95kg - 6x4
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x20
    Face Up Rotation - 3x20

DB Curl
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Most noteable thing about Benching 95kg 6x3 was the big jump between last warm up on 60kg and work sets. Probably the biggest jump I've taken when warming up.

DB Curl & Overhead at the end are just super light for blood flow. Not trying to set any records on these - just aid recovery.

Glutes & Hamstrings in bits from yesterday. Feeling overall quite fried so trying to manage recovery. The weights aren't heavy but its the volume on the smaller exercises which is adding up to the fatigue (grip, upperback, neck, glutes, hams). Hopefully once I lay off those and get back to heavier on the Big 3 I'll make some decent progress.

Monday April 19th: Lower day 19 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 3x5

GHR
    3x10
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    85kg - 3x5 ... normal grip (i.e. no fat gripz). Nice and easy now.

DB Shrug
    26kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

Neck Flex
    ---

Squats up to 100kg 3x5. Wore hip circle on them again. First time wearing belt in a long time. Felt good.

Paused Deads now without Fat Gripz. Easy. Going to take 5kg jumps twice a week going forwards.

Increased DB Shurgs by 2kg per arm.

Tuesday Apr 20th: Bench day 5 of 12

3x20

3x12
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 6x6
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    Face Down Extension - 3x10
    Face Down Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Good pump.

Thursday April 22nd: Lower day 20 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    105kg - 3x5

Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

45DBR
    3x20

DB Shrug
    26kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    90kg - 3x5 ... normal grip (i.e. no fat gripz). Nice and easy now.

Neck Flex
    ---

Squat 105kg 3x5 & Paused Deads 90kg 3x5.

These sessions are taking too long - so soon I'll be chopping out the surplus exercises and focusing on the Big 3. Ideally would be in/out in sub 45 mins.

Friday Apr 23rd: Bench day 6 of 12

3x20

3x15
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 6x5
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Lying Ext
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Benching 90kg 6x5 was the entrée.

Spending the next 12 hours cleaning, painting & redecorating was the main workout. Was in bits for the next 2 days. Felt like that post comp feeling where everything is sore.

Monday April 26th: Lower day 21 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    110kg - 3x5

Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

GHR
    3x10

DB Shrug
    26kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    95kg - 3x5

Neck Flex
    ---

Trained late afternoon. Felt good after. Everything nice and handy.

Tuesday Apr 27th: Bench day 7 of 12

3x20

3x16
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 6x4
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench 95kg 6x4.

Various light weight/high volume for the pump.

BossArky wrote: »
    Tuesday Apr 27th: Bench day 7 of 12

3x20

3x16
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 6x4
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    4kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    4kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench 95kg 6x4.

Various light weight/high volume for the pump.

Just wondering why would you dB curl 4kg ,I'm assuming you only have 4kg dumbells ? If your benching 95kg your obviously very strong so would you even feel 4kg ? I sometime pick up 5kg dumbells for warm up reps and put them back down because it feels pointless . Is there a benefit I'm missing not lifting really light weight like that ? Thanks

Just wondering why would you dB curl 4kg ,I'm assuming you only have 4kg dumbells ? If your benching 95kg your obviously very strong so would you even feel 4kg ? I sometime pick up 5kg dumbells for warm up reps and put them back down because it feels pointless . Is there a benefit I'm missing not lifting really light weight like that ? Thanks

I have 1.5kg & 4kg dumbbells, plus handles / plates that allow me to make anything from 6kg to ~32kg.

If I wanted to curl heavy I prefer straight bar (~40kg for 3x10) or weighted chins with bodyweight +20kg.

The super light DB curls at the end are purely for getting blood into the arms. Feels nice and counters slightly all the tricep work. It takes literally a min or two & I usually do them after taking off elbow sleeves to get blood flowing which may have been slightly constricted from the sleeves.

It's a fine line balancing the load across all exercises in the gym if training 4 or 5 days per week. If you go too hard on the assistance, then the main exercises suffer as you cannot recover.

For the past while I've been busy outside the gym - that is not great for training - but sometimes training is on the backburner & you gotta curls those 4kgs :pac:

Purposefully cut out Chins Ups (& Barbell Overhead Press) for the past few weeks to give shoulders a break and concentrate on Bench. But, both Heavy Curls & Weighted Chins will be back :)

Thanks for the detailed reply , yeah I guessed it had something to do with bloodflow or a cool down.
    Something similar with myself I often find if I have knee or calf pain and hour easy on the turbo seems to always clear it up. Actually my knee has been giving me problems and I sorted it out by doing bike easy last night .

I might start doing similar after heavy weights do a few light weights to loosen out the arms my arms have felt heavy since last workout .

95kg for 6 X 4 is very impressive well done ��

• Advertisement

Thursday April 29th: Lower day 22 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    115kg - 3x5

Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

45DBR
    3x15

DB Shrug
    26kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    100kg - 3x5

Neck Flex
    Extension: +5kg 3x10
    ---

Squats and Deads up by 5kg each.

95kg for 6 X 4 is very impressive well done ��

That's 20kg under my best set of 4s on Bench: 115kg x4.

That reminds me - need to get back up there.

Friday Apr 30th: Bench day 8 of 12

3x20

3x17
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 6x3
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10

Single Arm DB Overhead Extension
    6kg per arm - 1x10
    8kg per arm - 1x10
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    ---

Bench 100kg 6x3. Fine.

Recent conversations above reminded me to curl heavier - so I did with ascending sets of 10s up to 40kg x10. Video'd final set. Nice & strict. Haven't done these for a while - so happy not to snap biceps off the bone. Felt handy enough. Maybe I should try 50kg x10 for the laugh.

Well done on the curls and 100kg bench .
    You don't specify dumbells or barbell for the curls ? I assume barbell as you said previously you prefer straight bar .
    My experience is I'm more likely to cheat with barbell by using hips so dumbells seem more honest effort. Go for 50 X 10 that be seriously impressive lifting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I recently bought this thing that hangs around your neck, across the chest and cups the triceps. It stops your upper arms moving on the curls. If you really want to punish yourself, have a go

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I recently bought this thing that hangs around your neck, across the chest and cups the triceps. It stops your upper arms moving on the curls. If you really want to punish yourself, have a go

Yeah, I have an arm blaster. Don't use it too often to be honest. Feels kinda unnatural. Maybe not the best designed one but can never really get the elbows/upper arm triceps area to sit comfy in the holder bit. Guess I should break it out for variety. I find it hard on the lower back if you get any kind of weight - cos it is so strict.

Monday May 3rd: Lower day 23 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x5

Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

45DBR
    3x15

Neck Flex
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    105kg - 3x5
    ---
    Nordic Curl
    1x5 ... negatives

Shin Blaster
    1.5kg - 3x10
    ---

Squat 120kg 3x5 & Paused Deads 105kg 3x5. Up 5kg on both. Weights were manageable - but session was loooonnnnggg as did a heap of other stuff.

Combined Squat warm ups with guitar playing. Trying to increase the amount of time spent on other hobbies to keep them ticking along. Was running scales up and down the electric guitar neck during high knees, side steps, etc to make that 10 min warm up twice as productive.

Watched "knees over toes guy" on youtube the past couple of days and have been messing about with calf stretches and tibia muscle flexion. Something new.

Included nordic curl (negatives) at the end today. Quite tough. Cut it at one set of 5 so avoid snapping hammies off the bone. Will build them up with time.

Also included shin blaster. Not sure what the exact name of that exercise is. Basically the opposite of a calf raise. Sit on a Bench with just feet hanging over edge and curl feet back towards yourself whilst holding dumbbell between them. Again - as always - started super light with 1.5kg 3x10 and will see what it builds up to.

Didn't bother with DB Shrugs today. Deadlift is back up over 100kg now so that hits the area too and I don't have unlimited time to train so.. meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nordic curls do make you wonder just how strongly attached your hamstrings are...

Tuesday May 4th: Bench day 9 of 12

3x20

3x18
    ---
    Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 6x6
    ---
    Face Up Flexion - 3x10
    Face Up Rotation - 3x10
    ---
    Arm Blaster Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    ---
    Shin Blaster (Single Leg, V handle, Fat Gripz)
    chain +0kg - 1x10 per leg
    chain +0.5kg - 1x10 per leg
    chain +1kg - 1x10 per leg
    chain +2.5kg - 1x10 per leg
    chain +5kg - 3x10 per leg
    ---

Bench 90kg 6x6 felt strong & smooth. Always wary when things feel this easy 'cos it means I'm probably peaking and pride comes before the fall :eek:

Broke out the arm blaster for the first time in a while inspired by conversation above :pac:

Feeling like a jukebox here taking log audience requests for party trick exercises what with the recent straight bar curls and now the arm blaster. Before anyone suggests it - no - I don't have a preacher bench.

Sometimes I'm surprised with my own ingenuity. Was wondering how best to hook some weight onto feet to add load when performing shin blaster. Realized that my foot would probably fit into the V-handle attachment I've had lying around for the past ~3 years unused. 5 mins later I had weight plates and chains attached to my foot which was wedged tightly into the V-handle (especially snuggly with additional of fat gripz to each of the V-handle grip bits). Felt good.

• Advertisement

Friday May 7th: Lower day 24 of ?

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    **add belt**
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 3x5
    ---
    Paused Deadlift
    110kg - 3x5
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (on knees)
    3x10

GHR
    3x10

Neck Flex
    Curl: +5kg 3x10
    ---

Squat 125kg 3x5 & double overhand beltless Paused Deads up to 110kg 3x5.

Took about 90 mins taking my time going through the above. Decided not to superset the Squats and Deads - to see if it made a difference how quickly I got through workout. Negligible I'd say. Took an extra rest day yesterday. Tired from lots of walking.

Advertisement