Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday September 16th: Bench day 10 of 12

Band Pull Apart

6x10

Bench (paused)

85kg - 6x5 ... worksets. Done in 25 mins inclusive of band pull apart supersets.

---

Neck Training

Face Up Flexion - 3x10 (+0kg, +1kg, +2.5kg)

Face Up Rotation - 3x10

Face Down Extension - 1x30 (+0kg, +1kg, +2.5kg)

Face Down Rotation - 1x30

---

Barbell Curl

20kg per arm - 3x10

DB Raise

4kg - 3x5 ... front

4kg - 3x5 ... lateral

---

Quick Bench 85kg 6x5 then various upper bodybuilding assistance.

Enjoyed the banded pull aparts, neck and DB raises.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday Sept 17th: Squat deload

Landmine Squat

bar - 1x5

bar +5kg - 1x5

bar +10kg - 1x5

bar +15kg - 1x5

bar +20kg - 1x5

bar +25kg - 1x5

bar +30kg - 1x5

bar +35kg - 1x5

bar +40kg - 3x5 ... worksets

bar +10kg - 1x10 ... drop set

---

Neck Flex

Extension: +2.5kg - 1x20

Extension: +5kg - 1x20

Extension: +7kg - 1x20

Curl: +2.5kg - 1x20

Curl: +5kg - 1x20

---

Worked up to greater weights on Landmine Squat: bar +40kg (i.e. two blue bumpers). Found a good stance and motion feels solid. Finished off with a drop set of 10 reps.

Purposefully did no other lowerbody exercises as want to see what kind of DOMS the Landmine Squat gives me specifically. Writing this a couple days later I'd say I feel it now more in the mid to upper back. Legs just feel confused / mildly dazed rather than being completely frazzled.

Neck training always feels good.

Saturday September 18th: Deload

GHR

4x10 ... adjusting from easy to harder

45DBR

4x10

Unilateral Incline Landmine Press (standing)

bar - 1x10

bar +5kg - 1x10

bar +10 - 1x10

bar +15 - 1x10

bar +20 - 1x10

---

Suitcase Hold (side on to a barbell in rack)

20kg - ~30 seconds

25kg - ~40 seconds, with fat gripz

30kg - ~50 seconds, with fat gripz

---

Suitcase Shrug (side on to a barbell in rack)

20kg - ~30 seconds

25kg - ~40 seconds, with fat gripz

30kg - ~50 seconds, with fat gripz

---

Rev Fly

0.5kg per arm - 1x10

1.5kg per arm - 1x10

4kg per arm - 1x10

---

Tried to hit all the Deadlifting muscles without actually Deadlifting. Writing this the next day and it seems to have worked.

Lower right SI joint seems to be almost fully recovered now. Was good to mix things up with the varied substitutes whilst I took the past week off from direct Squat/Deadlift motions.

Monday Sept 20th: Squat deload

Landmine Squat

bar +5kg - 1x6

bar +25kg - 1x6

bar +45kg - 3x6 ... worksets

bar +10kg - 1x12 ... drop set

---

Neck Flex

Extension: +2.5kg - 1x20

Extension: +5kg - 1x20

Extension: +7kg - 1x20

Curl: +5kg - 1x20

Right: +2.5kg - 3x20

Left: +2.5kg - 3x20

---

Used Bench positioned under Landmine Squat as a rack so that I could Squat the weight up from a thighs parallel position on the worksets (45kg 3x6). These hit the core and upper back hard. Quads feel like they are getting used too. They are confused.

Finished off with a drop set of 12reps on bar+10kg. Going to keep adding reps to the drop set until quads are monsters.

Neck always feels good to train. Went a bit heavier on the sides (2.5kg). Trying to be careful not to strain neck as sides with chain hanging off neck flex is a new movement pattern. Could feel neck wondering what's up.

TL/DR: Enjoying landmine Squat & neck training.

Tuesday September 21st: Bench day 11 of 12

Band Pull Apart

9x10 ... with every set of Bench: 3 warm up sets and 6 worksets

DB Raise

1.5kg - 6x5 ... front

1.5kg - 6x5 ... lateral

Bench (paused)

20kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5

80kg - 1x1

95kg - 6x4 ... worksets. Done in ~35 mins inclusive of band pull apart supersets.

---

Neck Training

Face Up Flexion - 3x10 (+0kg, +1kg, +2.5kg)

Face Up Rotation - 3x10

Face Down Extension - 3x10 (+0kg, +1kg, +2.5kg)

Face Down Rotation - 3x10

Banded Extension/Rotation ~3x20 ... light red band around back to head. Stepping further from anchor point after each set of rotations to increase resistance. Felt good

Barbell Curl

20kg per arm - 3x10

---

I've been neglecting the warm up in recent weeks/months. Hence did a few extra warm up sets today and included some light DB raises along with banded pull aparts amongst Bench 95kg 6x4.

• Advertisement

Thursday Sept 23rd: Squat deload

Landmine Squat

bar +5kg - 1x5

bar +25kg - 1x5

bar +45kg - 1x5

bar +65kg - 1x5 ... workset. Nearly ripped pecs off the bone with grip

bar +10kg - 1x10 ... drop set. Forgot I should have done 14 here

---

Squat

40kg - 1x5

50kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5

70kg - 1x5

80kg - 1x5

90kg - 1x5

100kg - 1x5

---

Neck Flex (with two light grey bands attached)

Back Rotation: ~3x20 ... one giant set, facing towards rack anchor point, moving back a bit further each "set" to increase band tension

Front Rotation: ~3x20 ... one giant set, facing away from rack anchor point, moving back a bit further each "set" to increase band tension

---

Enjoyed that.

Landmine Squat: worked up to 70kg x5 which felt weird on the pecs - due to the downward pressure of the bar and the weight trying to rip my arms out of shoulder sockets.

First time Back Squatting in 2 weeks. Warmed up with Landmine Squat and then into Back Squats. Quads felt so good after Landmine. Just built up nice and slow from 40kg to 100kg in 10kg increments with sets of 5 on each. No belt and it was all handy. Literally felt like I was refreshed and peaked which made the 100kg back Squats feel like nothing. Amazing how good your body can feel when you stop crushing it with the same repetitive big 3 :pac:

Friday September 24st: Bench day 12 of 12

Band Pull Apart

~6x10

Chin Up

6x5

Bench (paused)

20kg - 1x5 ... feet up, mid grip

40kg - 1x5

50kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5

70kg - 1x5 ... feet down, ring finger on rings

80kg - 1x3

90kg - 1x1

100kg - 1x1

105kg - 5x3 ... worksets. Done in ~48 mins inclusive of Chin Ups.

100kg - 1x3 ... bit of a dropset instead of finishing 6 straight worksets above on 105kg

90kg - 1x3

80kg - 1x3

70kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5 ... feet up

50kg - 1x5

40kg - 1x5

---

Neck Training

Banded Extension/Rotation - both facing towards and away from anchor point ~60 secs .. light grey band

DB Raise

1.5kg - 3x5 ... front

1.5kg - 3x5 ... lateral

------

Bench was supposed to be 105kg 6x3. Did the first 5 sets find then took off 5kg for final set on 100kg. Probably over warmed up and was a bit tired towards the end. Aiming to get in a lot of volume which I did on both way up and way down from worksets. Soreness incoming tomorrow.

Saturday September 25th: Deload

GHR

5x10

45DBR

5x10

Deadlift (fat gripz)

30kg - 1x5

40kg - 1x5

50kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5

70kg - 1x5

---

Suitcase Hold (side on to a barbell in rack)

20kg - ~20 seconds

25kg - ~20 seconds, with fat gripz

30kg - ~20 seconds, with fat gripz

35kg - ~20 seconds, with fat gripz

---

Suitcase Shrug (side on to a barbell in rack)

10kg per arm - plate pinch shurg

20kg per arm - ~20 seconds ... barbell from safeties

30kg per arm - ~20 seconds

---

First time Deadlifting in two weeks. Worked back into it lightly with fat gripz. Good.

Thursday Sept 30th: Squat deload

Landmine Squat

bar +10kg - 1x5

bar +20kg - 1x5

bar +30kg - 3x5 ... worksets

Neck Training (Banded extension / rotation / light grey band)

facing towards anchor ~60 secs

facing away from anchor ~60 secs

right side towards anchor ~60 secs

left side towards anchor ~60 secs

---

Squat

40kg - 1x5

50kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x5

Ab Wheel

3x5

---

Static Lunge

+0kg - 1x5 per leg

+5kg - 1x5 per leg

+10kg - 1x5 per leg

---

Took the week off since last Saturday. Breaking back into it gently today. Proper cycle will start next Monday.

Friday Oct 1st: Bench deload

Bench (w/Bench Blokz #1)

20kg - 1x10

30kg - 1x10

40kg - 1x10

50kg - 1x10

60kg - 1x10

70kg - 1x10

DB Rev Fly (face down on bench for strict ROM)

1.5kg per arm - 1x10 on both T & Y

4kg per arm - 1x10 on both T & Y

6kg per arm - 1x10 on both T & Y

8kg per arm - 1x10 on both T & Y

10kg per arm - 1x10 on both T & Y

---

DB Curl

10kg per arm - 3x10

DB Raises

1.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... front

1.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... side

Neck

Curl .. on bench

Rotation/Extension ... facing towards anchor w/grey band

---

Messing about with deload Bench. Used Blokz for high rep tricep stuff. Too light to do much apart from some blood flow.

Loving the neck rotation/extension with band.

• Advertisement

Sunday October 3rd: Deload

Deadlift (Fat Gripz, standing on bumper(s) for extra ROM)

40kg - 1x8 ... one blue bumper elevation

50kg - 1x8 ... two blue bumper elevation

60kg - 1x8

---

20kg - ~20 seconds

20kg - ~20 seconds, with fat gripz

---

Plate Pinch Shrug

10kg per arm - 1x20

20kg per arm - 1x20

Barbell Shrug (with straps to eliminate grip considerations)

40kg - 1x20

50kg - 1x20

60kg - 1x20 ... nice burn

---

Neck

Various Rotation/Extension/Curl ... using rack as anchor w/grey band

---

Should have done this Deadlift deload yesterday but was busy. Messed about today with bits and pieces instead. Did a lot of fun stuff.

Back to a proper training cycle tomorrow.

Monday Oct 4th: Squat day 1 of 12

Calf Raise (heels hanging off block)

3x10

GHR

3x10

Ab Wheel

8x5 ... i.e. superset with each set of the Calf Raise, GHR and Squat sets.

Squat

40kg - 1x9

60kg - 1x9

80kg - 1x9

90kg - 1x9

100kg - 1x9

---

Neck Flex

Extension: +10kg - 3x20

Curl: +2.5kg - 3x20

---

More reps on the way up to top Squat sets. Typically this would be 3x9 on top set. Decided for this cycle to vary things and ramp up to the top set over three sets (e.g. 80x9, 90x9, 100x9) whilst also increasing warm up reps (instead of typically jumping from 60kg x3 to 100kg worksets. Just volume.

Monday October 4th: BJJ

Did my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class. It was fun. Abs killing me a couple days later as I type this.

Following a decent warm up we focused on various basic techniques: movement, rolls, squid (?). Finished up learning kimura.

Post edited by BossArky on

Tues Oct 5th: Bench day 1 of 12

Band Pull Apart (light grey)

6x10

Bench (paused)

80kg - 6x6 ... first three sets ring finger on ring, last three sets little finger on ring

Neck (thick red band)

Extension: facing away from anchor head rotation for ~30 secs

Curl: facing anchor head rotation for ~30 secs

---

One Arm DB Row

22kg - 3x5 per side

Barbell Curl

20kg - 3x10

DB Raise

1.5kg - 3x10 per both front & side raise

---

Whole workout completed in ~28 mins. Good.

Wed Oct 6th: BJJ class #2

About 8 people in this class. Two of them that I was doing drills with had ~4 years experience so learned various things: butterfly guard (?), escape from open guard kimura. Abs still killing me from earlier in the week. Sweat buckets. Got a loan of a gi from other attendee. Good.

Thurs Oct 7th: Squat day 2 of 12

45DBR

3x10

Calf Raise

3x10

Ab Wheel

8x5 ... a set of 5 reps between each round of other exercises above (45DBR & Calf Raise... plus Squats below)

---

SSB

52kg - 1x7

62kg - 1x7

72kg - 1x7

82kg - 1x7

92kg - 1x7 ... belt

Neck

Extension/Curl ... using rack as anchor w/thick red band

---

Going to alternate Back Squats and SSB every second day - sticking with my typical 6 week Squat program (three 2-week waves of 3x9, 3x7, 3x5, 3x3). Cannot use the programmed weight for Back Squats for SSB though as it would buckle me. So, today was feeling out what types of weight I could work up for on this SSB 7 rep day.

A bit tired from BJJ last night. Tried to sneak in these Squats before body realizes how knackered it is. Warmed up with a 2.5km walk.

Abs still in bits from earlier in the week (not sure if from Ab Wheel on Monday, or BJJ later that day).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Best of luck taking up BJJ! it’s an amazing workout just rolling. I’d love to go back to it. the neck exercises the last year will definitely stand to you

Friday Oct 8th: Bench day 2 of 12

Band Pull Apart (light grey band)

7x10

Bench (paused)

60kg - 1x5

85kg - 6x5 ... done in ~24 mins. Easy. First three sets ring finger on rings, last three sets little finger on rings

---

Neck (thick red band)

Extension: facing away from anchor head rotation for ~30 secs

Curl: facing anchor head rotation for ~30 secs

Barbell Curl

20kg - 3x10

DB Raise

1.5kg - 4x10 per both front & side raise ... in amongst and with some neck sets

---

Bench 85kg 6x5 with various upper assistance. Trying not to kill myself now that I've got 5 powerlifting sessions and 3 BJJ sessions per week. Feeling it out at present to see how tiring it all is. Then, will assess in coming days the best path forward.

Saturday October 9th: Deadlift day 1 of 6.

Deadlift

60kg - 1x5

100kg - 1x3

120kg - 3x5 ... beltless & double overhand

---

20kg - ~20 seconds

20kg - ~20 seconds, with fat gripz

---

Plate Pinch Shrug

5kg per arm - 1x20

10kg per arm - 1x20

15kg per arm - 1x20

Chin Up (parallel grip)

3x5

---

Ok, I was quite tired today coming into this. Kept the Deadlift worksets to 3x5 instead of 3x8.

Had BJJ afterwards so was trying to keep something in tank and not totally knacker my back and grip with the above in the gym first.

Saturday Oct 9th: BJJ class #3.

Warmed up with some jogging and drilling. I've been practicing my backwards shrimping and was happy to get it correct. Need to work on forwards and sideways now.

Technique included learning the Bow & Arrow choke, then Rear Naked Choke.

First time rolling. Thought it would never end. Didn't really have enough knowledge yet to know what moves to go for so just pulled partner into closed guard and tried kimura a few times. We then rolled around a bit and I managed to get him into a rear naked choke standing after initially holding him off with a one arm press for a while as I was stronger. He fell over and I held the choke for a while. Was a bit tentative on how hard to put on the choke as didn't want to go too hard and hurt him. We then rolled around a bit more... and after what seemed like a few long mins I ended up like a turtle on the mat just wondering when this would end. He was trying to grab my neck/lapels for choke from behind and I was batting him off. In the end I rolled over on back and he grabbed my arm. Maybe he was going for an arm bar or something. I didn't wait to find out and tapped to end it. Sweating buckets and first physical altercation I've been for a long time. So primeval.

Later in the day the left side of my neck was quite sore from the wrenching. Not sure if from the Bow & Arrow choke practice or the rolling afterwards. Still taking painkillers the neck day as I type this.

Good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’ll take a few weeks to condition your neck for that hardship.

Monday Oct 11th: Squat day 3 of 12

Calf Raise (heels hanging off block)

3x10

GHR

3x10

---

Squat

60kg - 1x5

90kg - 1x3

110kg - 3x5

Ab Wheel

3x5

---

Neck

Extension/Curl ... using rack as anchor w/light black band and neck flex harness

---

Quite tired & sore this morning so happy to get these 110kg 3x5 Squats done with minimal assistance.

Monday Oct 11th: BJJ class #4.

Warm up, technique and the 4 rolls. Need to take longer to cool down afterwards. Head thumping and heart racing for the 30+ mins afterwards.

Concentrated on recapping some of the moves I knew during technique: shrimping to escape from mount basically. Wrecked for the 4 rolls - intense cardio.

Post edited by BossArky on

Tues Oct 12th: Bench day 3 of 12

6x10

Band Row (heavy reds)

6x10

Bench (paused)

20kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x3

90kg - 6x4 ... Fine. First three sets ring finger on ring, last three sets little finger on ring

Neck (thick red band)

Rotations: Extension / Curl / Sides for ~30 secs each

---

DB Curl

1.5kg - 1x10

4kg - 1x10

10kg - 1x10

DB Raise

---

Quick Bench 90kg 6x4 in 19 mins including Banded Row supersets. Entire workout around 35 mins with the assistance at the end.

Feeling quite run down from combination of lifting and BJJ. Went to pharmacy for various cold / flu medication as throat scratchy and nose running. Feels exactly like the final week of a Powerlifting competition training cycle where immune system is flattened.

Wednesday Oct 13th: BJJ class #5.

Went into this session totally wrecked. So sore and beaten down from past 1.5 weeks of lifting & BJJ. Decided there is no point in being tentative and fearing getting hurt. This mindset helped in the subsequent rolling.

Practiced passing guard with knee slide/slice. Then rolled. Got the upper hand many times with my training partner. Got him into a rear naked choke, kimura, and generally dominated about 70% of situations. We focused on learning some moves instead of just brutalizing each other. Also learned the underhook which was a revelation. Think I managed two solid throws (sweeps?): one over my head, another to get him onto his back. Generally a productive session and I left feeling in one piece.

Reviewing my Fitbit heart rate from previous BJJ rolling sessions - one recent session had the heart rate go up to 190. Heavy Squats don't bring it above 130/140. Such a new world of pain.

Thursday Oct 14th: Squat day 4 of 12 & Deadlift day 2 of 6

3x10

GHR

3x10

---

SSB

52kg - 1x3

72kg - 1x3

92kg - 1x3

112kg - 1x1 ... top set. Supposed to be a triple but cut it to 1 rep as way too hard. Never been above 100kg on SSB before & feels foreign at heavier weights.

92kg - 1x3

72kg - 1x3

---

Deadlift

60kg - 1x5

100kg - 1x3

130kg - 3x5 ... beltless & doubleoverhand

Ab Wheel

6x5

---

Neck

Extension/Curl ... using rack as anchor w/light black band and neck flex harness

---

Deadlift 130kg 3x5 betless & doubleoverhand felt quite easy after working up to a SSB to setup single on 112kg x1. That 112kg was supposed to be a triple but cut it to 1 rep as way too hard. Never been above 100kg on SSB before & feels foreign at heavier weights. Have to put in more time with weights a slight bit lower to learn how it feels & how to power through when trying to crumple the body.

Saturday October 16th: BJJ class #6.

Slept 12 hrs 45 mins overnight coming into this day which was great. Still not feeling 100% recovered in general but getting better due to taking Friday fully off (accidentally as I slept through the evening when I should have been Benching).

BJJ was good. Rolled 4 times at the end of the session: twice with another new guy and twice with a borderline blue/purple belt who taught me a few things (i.e. where not to continue holding as he tried to choke me out with lapels). Practiced passing guard with knee/shin pinning opponents leg and then crushing opponent to the mat with wide base (i.e. legs spread wide) for stability. Blue belt did some kind of roll whilst holding my arm to flip me over and try and go for arm bar. Shoulder was a bit sore afterwards and wasn't sure if I'd be able to Bench later in the day (I was).

There ends the first two weeks of BJJ (6 sessions = 2 weeks x 3 sessions per week). Read 4 BJJ books in that time too and watched a few hours of youtube to get up to speed on some queries I had from the classes/books. Very interesting new obsession.

Saturday Oct 16th: Bench day 4 of 12

~3x10 as warn up

DB Rev Fly

4kg - 6x10

Bench (paused)

20kg - 1x5

60kg - 1x3

80kg - 1x3

95kg - 6x3 ... Fine & done in 26 mins. First three sets ring finger on ring, last three sets little finger on ring

---

Neck

Curl on bench: 5kg, 10kg, 15kg - each for 10 reps

Extension with Neck Flex harness & chain - 5kg, 7.5kg, 10kg - each for 20 reps

DB Raise

---

Unilateral Band Row (light grey)

3x10 per side

---

Happy to get this Bench 95kg 6x3 in on the evening of the morning BJJ. Shoulder a bit sore, but didn't really impact Bench. Good.

Monday Oct 18th: Squat day 5 of 12

3x10

45DBR

3x10

---

Squat

60kg - 1x5

85kg - 1x3

105kg - 1x9 .. topset

100kg - 1x9

80kg - 1x9

Ab Wheel

3x5

---

Neck

---

Obliques feeling particularly DOMS'd. Not sure why as they were fine the day before which was an offday. Perhaps a hangover from the BJJ two days ago where I was trying to twist to escape from under opponent and threw him off a number of times each side.

Feeling quite drained so kept the top set on 105kg to just one set of 9, then two back off decreasing sets of 100kg and 80kg. Could really focus on form on the latter as weight decreased.

Still searching for the optimal recovery and juggling of competing training demands.

• Advertisement

Monday October 18th: BJJ class #7.

Largest number of attendees I've seen: 8 regulars and 3 new people.

Practised the following technique:

• keeping opponent away with X guard
    • moving from half guard to kimora. Didn't get around to attempting to roll out of kimora over shoulder

Rolled for the final few mins with one of the more experienced guys. Nothing too taxing this time - which was good. Generally worked on keeping him away with knees/legs and breaking his grip whenever he grabbed lapels.

Advertisement